Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Show us your EGO!

Professor T

Is this partly what you meant?

Pretty much nailed in on the head(need to explain that half of the solution part though), just complicated it up a bit :P

*sighs*

I think we've killed the like button.

Oh, I don't think so...lol.

I Like the Like Button. Mostly it says: Hey here is a small kudos for you!

So here is a list of why I might Like Button someones post:

1. I just personally like them.

2. I like what they said in their post.

3. They Liked me so I Like them back.

4. Give them a heads up that I may have replied to their post.

5. Found common ground with someone I hadn't before.

6. I wanted them to know I read their post even if I didn't comment on it.

While there is Ego present in all of those reasons, I don't really associate the Like button with Ego to any great extent.

Personally, I like that people have Liked something I posted (Ego) but honestly, it gets tiresome just clicking the thing to see who Liked what.

• Like 3

I like that Like List! But it isn't entirely accurate since many of us had hundreds or thousands of posts before it was ever a feature so the percentages can't be proof positive of how people feel about all of your posts. I probably had somewhere around 1000-1200 posts when the feature came out. It's accurate for Hasina since she's a newer member who posts like crazy and apparently says all the right things and has only been here after the button feature. Guys like Questionmark get tons of likes but he had around 25,000 posts before the feature came out so based on percentages it would appear that he gets no respect when in fact that's not true.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 1

Oh, I don't think so...lol.

I Like the Like Button. Mostly it says: Hey here is a small kudos for you!

So here is a list of why I might Like Button someones post:

1. I just personally like them.

2. I like what they said in their post.

3. They Liked me so I Like them back.

4. Give them a heads up that I may have replied to their post.

5. Found common ground with someone I hadn't before.

6. I wanted them to know I read their post even if I didn't comment on it.

While there is Ego present in all of those reasons, I don't really associate the Like button with Ego to any great extent.

Personally, I like that people have Liked something I posted (Ego) but honestly, it gets tiresome just clicking the thing to see who Liked what.

Yeah, I do like the like button.. Don't get me wrong, what's not to like about it, It's got like written on it! :lol: & a groovy little tick!

Also, just because you like something, bee it a comment, or recieving a like, doesn't automatically make it egotistical..

There is a true self behind the Ego that is equally capable of likeing something & being liked..

• Like 2

I would guess I've "liked" about three times as many as have liked me, probably because I don't have to agree with what they said to like it. (I remember one time liking a post that accused me of all sorts of things).

I think any post that is well expressed, says something both original and either valuable or funny (but not cynical) and is not just a "me too" should get likes.

Whenever I get a like in my notices, I can't wait to go back and see what I said that got it (bow to the OP).

That is one of the things I like about this board -- there is not that I have noticed a competition on this, and they don't have a "thumbs down." (Use of such a thing would be to me a form of internet bullying).

• Like 2

and they don't have a "thumbs down." (Use of such a thing would be to me a form of internet bullying).

Probably right but anyone who denies an occasional yearning for a dislike button is lying. Don't let your egos get in the way of that truth.

• Like 1

This is true..

But what I meant was that my online interations are kind of slower, more thoughtfull.

Have to admit to, that on the social front, I'm a bit of a dweeb..

Why do you say/think you are a social dweeb? If I may ask (and I ask out of curiosity.)

:lol: Defeatest..

Bingo on the highlighted bit imo, I quite often take that line of defence when someones actions or opinions are agressive.. But there you have it again, I use that as Defence.. And as it is being used as a defensive gesture it is a rather subtle Ego reaction more than a true centered self reaction.. but I think that is a good way to percieve conflict in Ego's, but it's only half of a solution..

I think it has less to do with how we percieve the world and more to do with how we interact with it.. The source of our interations with society are a dead givaway as to whether they are Ego driven or not, But I'm not sure how many people truely know where they seat or source of their interations comes from.. Eeh, it's a hard one to describe, but I think that if the intention behind our interactions are ego driven then the sponsoring emotion or intended outcome from the interation will be one of the following (Shame, Guilt, Apathy, Grief, Fear, Desire, Anger or Pride) Let's call these Emotions the EGO8

If however, even at subtle levels, the Intention behind the interation is not one of the EGO8, even at subtle levels, then the interation is from your True Self, and Not your Ego..

Is this partly what you meant?

On others opinions?

Are you saying that a gentler approach works with you as opposed to a direct/assertive approach?

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3

On others opinions?

Are you saying that a gentler approach works with you as opposed to a direct/assertive approach?

I 'Liked' your post...just because I 'like' you! ;)

• Like 2

I wasnt sure about sceptic part.

But Im sure that you and BRandomly have great social skills.

Hah! I have someone hoodwinked!

I wouldn't say great.. I would say less than or equal to average. I'm an introvert, so talking to people isn't really my thing. I can talk to people, and am ok at it.. I just prefer not to.

• Like 2

Probably right but anyone who denies an occasional yearning for a dislike button is lying. Don't let your egos get in the way of that truth.

I call the idea of dislike a waste of time. The things I view dislike or disgust, I won't give any attention to simply because I don't care about them enough to warrant any of my time and effort on them. (This goes for likes as well just because I like something doesn't mean I will always put my time and effort in to it)

Now the things I hate and love are things I will always give attention to. These are the things I care about on some level. Not all love is good and not all hate is bad.

Edited by Jinxdom

(Directed to Sherapy) I 'Liked' your post...just because I 'like' you! ;)

I 'liked' Sherapy's last post for two reasons.

1) I liked the post and...

2) She's been here almost 8 years and has probably rendered 20,000 well thought out, decent comments. Her 'Like Count' is too low so, from now on, I'm going to 'Like' every damn thing she says. :) Anyone else?

Edit: (Unless she goes batcrap crazy.)

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 2

Agree here..

Sometimes I find a comment misguided, as in I can see that the person's perspective on something is wrong as far as I'm concerned. When this Happens, I comment about their comment in the hope of allowing them to change their minds.. I'm glad we don't have a "Hate" or "Dislike" button because that would ruin the only chance that person has of learning to see the error of their ways..

Edited to add: there are one or two users here who just don't listen, or dont want to listen.. I don't even comment on their posts anymore, and ignore them..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

Why do you say/think you are a social dweeb? If I may ask (and I ask out of curiosity.)

Am to introverted.. I feel the outsider in social occasions..

But once I've had a few beers, then a few more, then a few more, I become the life of the party, lol...

• Like 2

On others opinions?

Not at all.

What I was saying is that that when a person takes issue with my opinions it is their problem, not mine..

There is a flow of opinion & energy from ourselves into the world. This flow is what we Project as our perceptions be them Egotistic or Centered.. If I project an egotistical opinion and someone takes offence it is their problem, not mine..

If however, rather than taking offence this person offers a rebuttal that is not an Ego on Ego battle but an Ego on a centered true self battle, then the problem becomes mine, or, I think, to be more precise, the accountability of the ego problem becomes mine to deal with.. I might be wrong, but Ego vs Ego is a battle that cannot be won.. Where'as Ego vs' a true centered self is not a battle or contest.

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

2) She's been here almost 8 years and has probably rendered 20,000 well thought out, decent comments. Her 'Like Count' is too low so, from now on, I'm going to 'Like' every damn thing she says. :) Anyone else?

I Liked Sherapy's Post because Joc and Likely Guy liked it and my Ego felt left out and compelled to like it. :whistle:

Edited by Professor T

Hello dear UM friend, great to see you posting! Joc in my posting experience has treated me fairly and has demonstrated a willingness to consider my perspective and understand it even when he doesn't agree and many times he does not. I have nothing but respect for this poster, he exercises maturity and respectfulness regardless of his stance on things ( and he is passionate about his POV).

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind gesture. It speaks to me of a person who is inclusive and looks for something to like in others.

• Like 1

Am to introverted.. I feel the outsider in social occasions..

But once I've had a few beers, then a few more, then a few more, I become the life of the party, lol...

I admire introverts being an extravert; in fact, I have become a more tempered extravert because of my introvert son and hubby. There is a lot to be said for being an active listener and observant. Good for you!

• Like 3

Not at all.

What I was saying is that that when a person takes issue with my opinions it is their problem, not mine..

There is a flow of opinion & energy from ourselves into the world. This flow is what we Project as our perceptions be them Egotistic or Centered.. If I project an egotistical opinion and someone takes offence it is their problem, not mine..

If however, rather than taking offence this person offers a rebuttal that is not an Ego on Ego battle but an Ego on a centered true self battle, then the problem becomes mine, or, I think, to be more precise, the accountability of the ego problem becomes mine to deal with.. I might be wrong, but Ego vs Ego is a battle that cannot be won.. Where'as Ego vs' a true centered self is not a battle or contest.

I am glad I asked now I have a clearer pic of your POV. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

• Like 2

Agree here..

Sometimes I find a comment misguided, as in I can see that the person's perspective on something is wrong as far as I'm concerned. When this Happens, I comment about their comment in the hope of allowing them to change their minds.. I'm glad we don't have a "Hate" or "Dislike" button because that would ruin the only chance that person has of learning to see the error of their ways..

Edited to add: there are one or two users here who just don't listen, or dont want to listen.. I don't even comment on their posts anymore, and ignore them..

Okay, your comment is not misguided and I don't have to comment in the hope of changing your mind. I will however say that I haven't yet found any users I want to ignore, but I may. Messages in threads I follow do often get skipped -- I gotta have a life and I gotta sleep.
  • Like 1

Okay, your comment is not misguided and I don't have to comment in the hope of changing your mind. I will however say that I haven't yet found any users I want to ignore, but I may. Messages in threads I follow do often get skipped -- I gotta have a life and I gotta sleep.

:lol: , by Ignore I mean that I no longer respond to their posts which are always attacking.

• Like 1

Another consideration not considered is the number of posts someone has, before we 'like' their comment. Any comments?

'Likes' are new making those who have been here a while seem hated lol

• Like 2

:lol: , by Ignore I mean that I no longer respond to their posts which are always attacking.

Often I think long and hard about whether or not I should respond to an aggressive or insulting post, and my ego (I am always able to persuade myself that I should be able to bring them to their senses) generally causes me to respond. Of course what follows is never what I thought would happen, and I fail in my mission.

Since what we post or don't post here is hardly going to change anything, not responding is probably better; let them stew in their own juice. Still, it seems to me that not at least trying to correct such things leaves a certain unresolved disturbance in the universe -- a disharmony, a rough edge, a karmic tear.

• Like 2

'Likes' are new making those who have been here a while seem hated lol

I think it rather silly for people to worry about the count of their likes. Popular appeal has nothing to do with either truth or righteousness. Of course that doesn't mean you shouldn't occasionally give me one. :yes:
  • Like 1