Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Dark Woods of West Covina, CA

Dying Seraph

This is not an attempt to scare but to try to get a better understanding of the truth behind the murders and hauntings that have occured at Galster Wilderness Park

There have been several stories surrounding Galster Wilderness Park. Many accounts of ghost sightings and noises of a disturbing nature have been seen or heard. Now before I get into the details of Galster Park I by no means am a certified "Ghost Hunter" or professional of any nature, I am merely a seeker of knowledge w/ a passion to comprehend what many in our society refuse to acknowledge or understand.

To get to the interesting stories of this park we first need to know why it was constructed. Situated on Galster Way this park consists of many trails, a playground area, a few B.B.Q and picnic areas, a few odd locations for some park benches and some open space. Many oddly shaped trees envelope the grounds in a stark manner on this hillside park. This park "appears" to have been constructed not only to preserve the beauty and luster of the hillside for the community but a place where the community can come together and get to know each other; there are many community functions that take place here as well. It's a place where the whole family could come and make a day of exploring the winding paths and exploring the outdoors.

In the early 1990's, stories arose of rapes and murders of little children going on at the playground area. A few years later stories of a man who jumped off a water tower arose. I merely call these stories because I myself have found no existing proof of these happenings. The obituaries have death reports that occured in that area but mysteriously none that are involved w/ the park. So as of this moment I am desperately seeking more and more knowledge of the area.

The Hauntings

As stated in the previuos segment stories arose incidents beginning to occur. This is how the story goes about the rape and murders of little children. A man with mental issues used to live in the actual shack that resides in the park. When little kids wandered off a distance he would lure them away to the restroom area or toward a desolate area of the park, rape and then strangle the victim to deaths. Some people say he hung some of his victims. To this day no-one knowes what ever became of this killer. Another famous "spirit", if you will, resides at a water tower at the park. Supposedly a man in his mid to late 30's was depressed over the loss of his wife, or child,ect. (depending on which story you hear) that he climbed the water tower and jumped to his death.

I first discovered this park as an adolescent and I must admit that a strange "presence" did reside there. I was 13 or 14 playing paintball w/ friends. As we seperated to our hide-outs, I felt a very disturbing feeling of being watched by something inhuman. A very cold, piercing sensation penetrated every part of my body. Keep in mind I had none of this knowledge of death as a pre-pubescent teen. This was my only trip to the park until recently...

After spending hours of looking up haunted sites in California the words Galster Wilderness Park stood out. After trying to convince some friends to come along w/ me only 2 agreed. As nightfall approached my friend David and I, felt this feeling of restlessness as if conjuring up some unknown power of the dark arts. As soon as we got to the front entrance(park consists of 3 entryways- 2 visible from the street 1 has yet to be confirmed) it felt as if a srtange presence was watching us. We jumped the fence to get in and started to climb to the family picnic area. At this point nothing eerie aside from the feeling of being watched has happened. By the way the view in this spot projects beautiful pictures of the city down below. As we started back up the trail a very faint stench of death approached our noses. Now it was most likely a dead animal but could not confirm exactly what it was or where it came from, or the fact that when first arriving in the area there was no such stench. After about 2 or3 minutes of walking up a pathway, my husky friend David could no longer move on saying something is telling him not to go on. Mike seconded the notion and I told them we should go to the area where the man supposedly raped the kids. As soon as I said this a strange noise in the brush near us arose. Again it could easily be an animal. But it did prompt us on to moving back toward the entrance. There is a very strange spot at the park where 3(could be 4) pathways connect. A bench and a trash bin is all that is in this spot. As we walked by this area a very cold feeling rose where as all the other places we had been were quite warm. Mind you this was on a very warm night w/ a full moon. That I can't explain because there was no wind. After a few minutes of feeling this strangely beautiful cold spot in silence all 3 of us heard the same exact thing. It was a little girl screaming for roughly 5 seconds. That scared all 3 of us. Now, there are houses at the top of this park but we distinctly heard the screaming come from the play ground area. This we thought very weird because 1. you have to jump the gate to get in and 2. it is complete darkness in this whole park. The only source of light is the restroom area and the entrance. Everywhere else complete black. So the scream spooked us. As we continued to walk back toward the 1st entrance, an "entity" could be felt and figuratively seen following us down the path. As soon as we exited the park the feeling of being watched and followed disappeared. This is my account so far I plan on going back (w/friends asap) I highly recomend you never go to this park alone, day or night.

This last segment is just a few accounts of sights or hearings going on that people have said to happen. Some people have said to have heard screams of both boys and girls. Some people claim that at the first and second entry way they have seen an apparition welcoming them into the park only to disappear. The shack that the killer lived in is still there and supposedly still has bloodstains. At this point in time I'm not certain of the bloodstains but the shack is there and upon further research, I shall release my findings.

Remember- I am not a professional. I am merely trying to experience and comprehend ghost,spirits, or phantoms,etc. In no way do I encourage disobeying the law just for the fun of ghost hunting. These were once living beings and I encourage giving respect and understanding to the deceased.

I appreciate any feedback or any more information w/ resources (if possible) please. No fake stories please. This place is very real.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

That entire scenario is just too disturbing due to the context of what happened to children.. :no:

That sounds spooky, but i wonder if it is all a rumor about the rapes and murders, I wonder if we can get copies of newspaper reports, because you know when something happens to a child its likely it will be in the news.

You mentioned you hopped the gate, Thye lock up the park at night? or is it closed now?

This is not an attempt to scare but to try to get a better understanding of the truth behind the murders and hauntings that have occured at Galster Wilderness Park

There have been several stories surrounding Galster Wilderness Park. Many accounts of ghost sightings and noises of a disturbing nature have been seen or heard. Now before I get into the details of Galster Park I by no means am a certified "Ghost Hunter" or professional of any nature, I am merely a seeker of knowledge w/ a passion to comprehend what many in our society refuse to acknowledge or understand.

To get to the interesting stories of this park we first need to know why it was constructed. Situated on Galster Way this park consists of many trails, a playground area, a few B.B.Q and picnic areas, a few odd locations for some park benches and some open space. Many oddly shaped trees envelope the grounds in a stark manner on this hillside park. This park "appears" to have been constructed not only to preserve the beauty and luster of the hillside for the community but a place where the community can come together and get to know each other; there are many community functions that take place here as well. It's a place where the whole family could come and make a day of exploring the winding paths and exploring the outdoors.

In the early 1990's, stories arose of rapes and murders of little children going on at the playground area. A few years later stories of a man who jumped off a water tower arose. I merely call these stories because I myself have found no existing proof of these happenings. The obituaries have death reports that occured in that area but mysteriously none that are involved w/ the park. So as of this moment I am desperately seeking more and more knowledge of the area.

The Hauntings

As stated in the previuos segment stories arose incidents beginning to occur. This is how the story goes about the rape and murders of little children. A man with mental issues used to live in the actual shack that resides in the park. When little kids wandered off a distance he would lure them away to the restroom area or toward a desolate area of the park, rape and then strangle the victim to deaths. Some people say he hung some of his victims. To this day no-one knowes what ever became of this killer. Another famous "spirit", if you will, resides at a water tower at the park. Supposedly a man in his mid to late 30's was depressed over the loss of his wife, or child,ect. (depending on which story you hear) that he climbed the water tower and jumped to his death.

I first discovered this park as an adolescent and I must admit that a strange "presence" did reside there. I was 13 or 14 playing paintball w/ friends. As we seperated to our hide-outs, I felt a very disturbing feeling of being watched by something inhuman. A very cold, piercing sensation penetrated every part of my body. Keep in mind I had none of this knowledge of death as a pre-pubescent teen. This was my only trip to the park until recently...

After spending hours of looking up haunted sites in California the words Galster Wilderness Park stood out. After trying to convince some friends to come along w/ me only 2 agreed. As nightfall approached my friend David and I, felt this feeling of restlessness as if conjuring up some unknown power of the dark arts. As soon as we got to the front entrance(park consists of 3 entryways- 2 visible from the street 1 has yet to be confirmed) it felt as if a srtange presence was watching us. We jumped the fence to get in and started to climb to the family picnic area. At this point nothing eerie aside from the feeling of being watched has happened. By the way the view in this spot projects beautiful pictures of the city down below. As we started back up the trail a very faint stench of death approached our noses. Now it was most likely a dead animal but could not confirm exactly what it was or where it came from, or the fact that when first arriving in the area there was no such stench. After about 2 or3 minutes of walking up a pathway, my husky friend David could no longer move on saying something is telling him not to go on. Mike seconded the notion and I told them we should go to the area where the man supposedly raped the kids. As soon as I said this a strange noise in the brush near us arose. Again it could easily be an animal. But it did prompt us on to moving back toward the entrance. There is a very strange spot at the park where 3(could be 4) pathways connect. A bench and a trash bin is all that is in this spot. As we walked by this area a very cold feeling rose where as all the other places we had been were quite warm. Mind you this was on a very warm night w/ a full moon. That I can't explain because there was no wind. After a few minutes of feeling this strangely beautiful cold spot in silence all 3 of us heard the same exact thing. It was a little girl screaming for roughly 5 seconds. That scared all 3 of us. Now, there are houses at the top of this park but we distinctly heard the screaming come from the play ground area. This we thought very weird because 1. you have to jump the gate to get in and 2. it is complete darkness in this whole park. The only source of light is the restroom area and the entrance. Everywhere else complete black. So the scream spooked us. As we continued to walk back toward the 1st entrance, an "entity" could be felt and figuratively seen following us down the path. As soon as we exited the park the feeling of being watched and followed disappeared. This is my account so far I plan on going back (w/friends asap) I highly recomend you never go to this park alone, day or night.

This last segment is just a few accounts of sights or hearings going on that people have said to happen. Some people have said to have heard screams of both boys and girls. Some people claim that at the first and second entry way they have seen an apparition welcoming them into the park only to disappear. The shack that the killer lived in is still there and supposedly still has bloodstains. At this point in time I'm not certain of the bloodstains but the shack is there and upon further research, I shall release my findings.

Remember- I am not a professional. I am merely trying to experience and comprehend ghost,spirits, or phantoms,etc. In no way do I encourage disobeying the law just for the fun of ghost hunting. These were once living beings and I encourage giving respect and understanding to the deceased.

I appreciate any feedback or any more information w/ resources (if possible) please. No fake stories please. This place is very real.

hey nice job, you seem to have done quite a bit of research into it, but with research enough is never enough, i like researching and learning heaps in the paranomal/supernatural and no matter how much i seem to read theres always something new to learn. which makes it fun and interesting, good luck with your research on the Galster Wilderness Park and stay safe.

Oh, Jesus. I have no idea what that could've been. If that person raped and strangled little kids, and I was around, I would've finished him off myself.

I used to live in Covina for a few years. I don't think I've ever been there. Now if I was at the intersection of Citrus and San Bernadino Ave., how would I get there ?

That entire scenario is just too disturbing due to the context of what happened to children.. :no:

Thank you for sharing your interest in this topic. As of this moment in time I am still seeking info on not only any youths murdered at the park but of the lunatic that commited these atrocities. Unfortunately I am not certain as to if he was caught or if he got away. I just recently discovered a little more info on this Park but not enough so far to continue on to a part 2 of this topic. However some interesting info was that the park was closed from 2002 to 2006 for what the county says was just to restore some of the park. Now, I have seen first hand the repairs they have done and there is no way that it should have taken 4 years to accomplish. They simply repainted some restroom areas, added an extra B.B.Q. or two and supposedly fixed some of the trails. The work they did should not have taken 4 years to accomplish. But then people that work for the county take their time to make more money. As to why the park was closed, it could simply be that they just wanted to fix up the park. But it could just have easily been closed by the count due to the stories surrounding this place. I shall not jump to either of those conclusions until I know more.

This is my 1st post.

I live in La Puente. Galster Park is about 3-4 miles away from me. I never been there. I never knew it was haunted until just recently. That's a spooky read there. Good luck with researching on Galster Park & be careful out there.

This is my 1st post.

I live in La Puente. Galster Park is about 3-4 miles away from me. I never been there. I never knew it was haunted until just recently. That's a spooky read there. Good luck with researching on Galster Park & be careful out there.

I'm glad you posted. It is indeed a very disturbing place. Remember it's always good to never come to this park alone. Just for safety purposes. Gangs are known to hang out there in the day. But by nightfall, well, that's a whole different story.

Mr. Sinister, I've searched everywhere and I can't find anything about a child being murdered in that park.

Do you have any more information besides the name of the park and the murders taking place in the 90's?

I even looked for a man jumping from a tower and couldn't find anything about that either.

I did find a lot of info on the park and the town itself, but nothing that had to do with this.

I found a little information on this: Its too disturbing to even think about:

West Covina - Galster park - This park is located on a hill with 3 entrances. It has been closed off because children have been raped and murdered there. People have seen a pathway leading to the house of the murderer. The man would take the children and rape and beat them. If you go there late at night you are able to hear the screams and the pleas of the children. A boy wearing a sweater with a massive scar on his face has been seen standing at the entrance of the first or second gate. He has been seen inviting people into the park. Telling them to come in and see what is inside. The boy has been seen at different ages, one as a child and the other as an adolescent. This place is VERY real.- Extreme precautions should be taken if you dare to enter. This is no joke. a group of investigators where chased out by men carrying knives

I found a little information on this: Its too disturbing to even think about:

West Covina - Galster park - This park is located on a hill with 3 entrances. It has been closed off because children have been raped and murdered there. People have seen a pathway leading to the house of the murderer. The man would take the children and rape and beat them. If you go there late at night you are able to hear the screams and the pleas of the children. A boy wearing a sweater with a massive scar on his face has been seen standing at the entrance of the first or second gate. He has been seen inviting people into the park. Telling them to come in and see what is inside. The boy has been seen at different ages, one as a child and the other as an adolescent. This place is VERY real.- Extreme precautions should be taken if you dare to enter. This is no joke. a group of investigators where chased out by men carrying knives

Was that all the info it had? Do you still have the link? I would like to read some more on this but I am coming up empty in my search.

Was that all the info it had? Do you still have the link? I would like to read some more on this but I am coming up empty in my search.

I'm with you Jules, I'd like to see something, a link that offers some info.

This is one I located on the web..JN

http://theshadowlands.net/places/california2.htm

Unfortunately these postings are sent in by anybody that wants to post something, and undergo no screening whatsoever. Many of these listings are either "heresay" ramblings, or out and out lies. Read through a bunch of them and you'll see what I mean. As a rule of thumb, I don't take any of the Shadowlands postings seriously unless I can back it up with other information.

Unfortunately these postings are sent in by anybody that wants to post something, and undergo no screening whatsoever. Many of these listings are either "heresay" ramblings, or out and out lies. Read through a bunch of them and you'll see what I mean. As a rule of thumb, I don't take any of the Shadowlands postings seriously unless I can back it up with other information.

Yup, what he said.

Yup, what he said.

All I said was this is something I found on the web, I never said it was true, just searched for some kind of info..JN

Greetings to those of you who have taken an interest in this subject. At this moment in time my search for info is ongoing. Please try to understand that I do not have a team of people helping me out. I am one man trying to find the truth. The problem though as w/ anything is that for every grain of truth, lies a pile of drivvle. As I stated when I first posted this subject, these are merley stories until proven otherwise. I will not take stories and make them factual.I have been told a few different stories by some of the people that live in the area. But they are just that for now,stories. After hours of looking through old postings for anything, I have still yet to find what I seek. These stories arose in the early 90s and so I am searching for anything of that time period that may be of help. I appreciate any help I can get. If anyone does come across anything please feel free to let me know.

As for what I have experienced at this place for myself, I believe that there are spirits that remain here(my belief). As to who this spirit is or what its purpose is, I do not know at this moment of time. If anyone has gone, please let me know about your experience.

"Man's Desire to learn has always outreached his grasp. But with patience comes the key to understanding. Without this key,we are doomed."

My friends and I went there sometime last week late at night it was 2 boys and 3 girls... we didn’t go in the park but we did notice a hole in the gate that some people were climbing threw... The 2 boys wanted to go in but I refused. I had told them I heard that cops sometime drive by and check to see of people are breaking in and entering... I for one didnt want to get in trouble with the law. So we were just about to leave and sure enough 2 cop cars pass by.... so we up and left. Yesterday my 2 best friends and I went there around 7... I had my camera phone and was taking pictures I thought maybe we'll capture something. We looked at the pictures at home but we didnt find anything but then again we didnt really look closely to see if we can see anything. Sometime I had that eerie feeling we were being watched but I wasnt sure...There are 2 bathrooms one by the playground and one at the top of one of the trails... My friends and I really had to go to the bathroom and as we walked around different trails to find a bathroom we found the one but the odd thing was it was closed... could this be the bathroom the murderer harmed the kids? As we walked around we took some trails that were just random... we went up this trail and at the beginning of the trail there was this random like shack looking thing but it looked like a shack that had controls for lights then if you keep going up the trail there was a random bench that look like it shouldnt have been there. Then we walked around some more and there was a trail that went up really high like up to the top of the mountain my friend Renee didnt want to go up there is that where the shack may be found? We are possibly gunna go there tonight what do you recommend us doing?

Edited by Little Ms Ghost Hunter

My friends and I went there sometime last week late at night it was 2 boys and 3 girls... we didn’t go in the park but we did notice a hole in the gate that some people were climbing threw... The 2 boys wanted to go in but I refused. I had told them I heard that cops sometime drive by and check to see of people are breaking in and entering... I for one didnt want to get in trouble with the law. So we were just about to leave and sure enough 2 cop cars pass by.... so we up and left. Yesterday my 2 best friends and I went there around 7... I had my camera phone and was taking pictures I thought maybe we'll capture something. We looked at the pictures at home but we didnt find anything but then again we didnt really look closely to see if we can see anything. Sometime I had that eerie feeling we were being watched but I wasnt sure...There are 2 bathrooms one by the playground and one at the top of one of the trails... My friends and I really had to go to the bathroom and as we walked around different trails to find a bathroom we found the one but the odd thing was it was closed... could this be the bathroom the murderer harmed the kids? As we walked around we took some trails that were just random... we went up this trail and at the beginning of the trail there was this random like shack looking thing but it looked like a shack that had controls for lights then if you keep going up the trail there was a random bench that look like it shouldnt have been there. Then we walked around some more and there was a trail that went up really high like up to the top of the mountain my friend Renee didnt want to go up there is that where the shack may be found? We are possibly gunna go there tonight what do you recommend us doing?

Go for it again, and "try" to get at least one photo, that would be cool....

Go for it again, and "try" to get at least one photo, that would be cool....

Should I bring my digital camera?

Should I bring my digital camera?

Absolutely, or cell phone cam, disposable, whatever you have. The minute you even sense something, SHOOT IT..Just dont get arrested... :no:

I'm glad you posted. It is indeed a very disturbing place. Remember it's always good to never come to this park alone. Just for safety purposes. Gangs are known to hang out there in the day. But by nightfall, well, that's a whole different story.

I take it that this park doesn't have it's own Ranger's, Police Department or Security Officers then? So if a person would want to go at night they could then just as long as Municipal Police or Sheriff's Department doesn't see right? Just curious. Too bad they don't have there own police department. Keep those gangs out you mentioned. I am from Ohio myself but wouldn't mind seeing the park if I was ever out in CA.

"Come Get Some!" Duke Nukeum

Here is a picture I captured I didnt mean for it to be blury but I was walking...When I got home I uploaded it. I was so upset I didnt capture anything untill this morning I reveiwed the picture and I noticed somthing on the right side in the middle but near the top. It was apart of a little boys face/neck he has a white turtle neck on and he is smiling. I took this picture with my camera phone. Its not a refection of anything or anyone cause there was nothing around for it to reflect off of and nobody was around me, My friends were way infront of me and I just took the picture because I felt like I was being watched.

You may need to zoom up close but not to close

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x229/007Grad/ghost.jpg

Edited by Little Ms Ghost Hunter

I am not seeing anything. Can you possibly circle the area you are talking about?