Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Socrates meets Jesus

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#46    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 18 February 2004 - 04:40 PM

Wowo, I must be smrt cause I've read all of the above plus war & peace, Oliver twist, the old testament, the vedas, the koran, the dictionary, and quite a few others cover to cover... (no cliffs notes here!)  The one that burns me is Lady in White... never could finish that one.  sad.gif

most of them have only read once, so it's not like I absorbed everything in them all... but I know what they're all about, first hand.

Really though, as a summation: I learned there's alot I don't know.

I found the article humerous in a George Bush in a pink tu-tu kinda way...

#47    LittleIrishVampiress

LittleIrishVampiress

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

• What you seek above, sow below.

Posted 18 February 2004 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Atlantis Rises @ Feb 18 2004, 02:55 AM)
QUOTE (LittleIrishVampiress @ Feb 17 2004, 06:22 PM)
lets face it, christians would feel whoever wrote that was poking fun at jesus and getting jesus all wrong, while atheists and the like would find it amusing and might even revel in it. the two, alas, will not agree. tongue.gif

why not believe in god and logic?

you cant prove god exists and you cant prove he dosnt. why not keep both options open, you have nothing to lose in doing so, and you might have everything to lose if you put all your faith into only one.

I would disagree with that.  I'm a Christian, and I thought it was lol funny!  It all depends on your sense of humor.  When religion becomes an obsession, you begin to loose all sight of what's funny and true to your heart.

well, sorry, i shudda said most die hard christians or maybe highly defensive christians??? tongue.gif  laugh.gif  whistling2.gif

im catholic and i wasnt offended in the least, but its obvious whos side the author is on and i was just saying how some might find it unfair when you should just take it lightly thumbsup.gif

oh and ive been brought up catholic but i dont follow the religion in the least. personally i find it a waste of time, but thats just my oppinion! tongue.gif  grin2.gif  cool.gif  

"I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               - Ray Bradbury,  Zen in the Art of Writing

#48    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 18 February 2004 - 10:59 PM

Ah, but you can't read Scorates, you can only read about him.

Oh yeah w00t.gif  I always get the dude mixed up with Aristotle

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#49    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 18 February 2004 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE (Talon S. @ Feb 18 2004, 07:12 AM)
I would wager that the Fluffster has read some Socrates

Ah, but you can't read Scorates, you can only read about him.

And you would win that bet joc!  thumbsup.gif

When I was in college I took several philosphy and critical thinking courses. Plato and Socrates are very fundamental to western philosphy. I don't think that there is much of anything that comes directly from socrates that is left. Plato was Socrates student, and most of his work seems to be in line with Socrates teaching.

I like Socrates, even in a democracy he was able to stir up enough debate over popular beliefs to get himself in trouble again and again with the government. He tried to get people to give a great deal of thought to their belief systems. He wanted people to challenge the popular opinions of the day with well thought out debate.

As for the article that inspired this thread, I don't think the author had a great understanding of the New Testament or Western Philosophy. I did like it, but would admit that if such a debate were to happen, Jesus would be able to do better than he did in the article. So would Socrates.  tongue.gif

As I stated in my earlier post, it did do a good job of showing how the two different mindsets do interact with each other. Faith based thinking and logic based thinking are like oil and water; they don't mix. Neither is necessarily wrong, just different. I think that people should be able to believe what ever they want especially in matters of faith. I do tend to get a bit testy when I see religious folk make assumptions about the correctness of their faith, and disrespect for others faith...

No matter how hard you try, quoting scriptures isn't going to convert a logic based thinker. Likewise quoting Darwin will not change the mind of a Faith based thinker. The beauty is that we all get to choose what we believe in.  

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#50    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:18 AM

I like Socrates, even in a democracy he was able to stir up enough debate over popular beliefs to get himself in trouble again and again with the government.

No sh*t he was executed  tongue.gif  

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#51    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 February 2004 - 12:51 AM

The funny thing is that both Socrates and Jesus were executed, maybe there will be a sequel when they meet again in the afterlife   laugh.gif  

#52    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 19 February 2004 - 02:16 AM

No matter how hard you try, quoting scriptures isn't going to convert a logic based thinker. Likewise quoting Darwin will not change the mind of a Faith based thinker. The beauty is that we all get to choose what we believe in.

You're not so irrational after all cool.gif  

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#53    Azael

Azael

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 129 posts

• Media Vita in Morte Sumus

Posted 24 February 2004 - 02:53 AM

Looks like it was written by someone with a grudge against Christendom.
And they know jack about Christianity, and only made Socrates intelligent.

And for your information, Jesus went apeshit on the merchants because they had no place in the temple yard. Wouldn't you throw peddlars only interested in the false diety of gold off your father's lawn?
The root of evil is derivative of want and power, and the want is for more while the power is drawn from gold.

#54    Spartan

Spartan

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

• Fovou tous thanaous,Te thora ferousi

Posted 01 March 2004 - 11:42 AM

JC and old Soc are freinds in heaven,and are laufghing at these comments, even more to those whom dont belive in JC anyway,,,,oh and joc is right, thumbsup.gif  
take care c ya all 2 morro, devil.gif  devil.gif  ph34r.gif  devil.gif  devil.gif  

Live to die, die to live.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users