Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Antikythera Mechanism Predicted Eclipses

Insanity

Published today, July 30, 2014 in the journal PLoS ONE is an article that discusses the Antikythera Mechanism had been used to predict eclipses

Freeth T (2014) "Eclipse Prediction on the Ancient Greek Astronomical Calculating Machine Known as the Antikythera Mechanism." PLoS ONE 9(7).

From the abstract;

"The ancient Greeks built a machine that can predict, for many years ahead, not only eclipses but also a remarkable array of their characteristics, such as directions of obscuration, magnitude, colour, angular diameter of the Moon, relationship with the Moon’s node and eclipse time. It was not entirely accurate, but it was an astonishing achievement for its era."

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PersonFromPorlock

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• Insanity

Top Posters In This Topic

Fascinating, the last theory I heard suggested that it "may have" been used to predict planetary alignments and the like, it's good to see some validation to my personal theory that it was a pocket Stonehenge ;)

Fascinating, the last theory I heard suggested that it "may have" been used to predict planetary alignments and the like, it's good to see some validation to my personal theory that it was a pocket Stonehenge ;)

Come now! Pockets wouldn't be invented for another 1500 years. And it would have snagged. :P