Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Briton Executed For Smuggling Drugs

Still Waters

A British man said to be suffering from bipolar disorder is set to be executed in China for smuggling heroin.

North Londoner Akmal Shaikh, 51, suffers from delusions as part of his condition according to legal charity Reprieve.

Reprieve says Mr Shaikh travelled to China to get a record contract for a song he had written which he believed would usher in world peace.

The father of three was targeted by a gang of drug dealers who saw him as someone who could be easily manipulated, the charity said on its website.

The gang apparently promised to help him record his song and travelled to the airport with him on the pretence of catching a flight.

But, when they arrived, the leader of the gang reportedly told Mr Shaikh there was only one seat left on board, and asked him if he would take his suitcase for him when he flew.

Mr Shaikh was arrested in Urumqi in China's western Xinjiang region in possession of 4kg of heroin.

He said he did not know the drug was in the bag and appealed against his conviction.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MARAB0D

• ExpandMyMind

• Rosewin

• Mattshark

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bunch of thugs to do that to this man, China does not tolerate any kind of drug usage or trafficking, This story is a sad state of affairs,

This person does not represent the descent british person:no:

Are you sure? We lead the world in alcohol and drug abuse.

Are you sure? We lead the world in alcohol and drug abuse.

There are three people here we can blame for that LOL

This guy will be let off. I can't see them killing a British national over this. This is to get it out into the media so a little preasure is put on China and they get a little more air time. It's Hollywood baby.

While drugs dealers might contribute to decline and disease up to death it is the government that provides the social conditions which creates a want among its population for drugs to begin with.

I do agree with China executing CEOs, factory presidents, and the like who embezzle and steal money by unethical business practices which are not only tolerated but legal by the US government. Unlike in China where they have been executed. In other words the culprits behind S&L scams, Enron, corporate accounting scandals, and AIG would all have been put to the sword in China.

While drugs dealers might contribute to decline and disease up to death it is the government that provides the social conditions which creates a want among its population for drugs to begin with.

Well drug markets do fund terrorist groups such as FARC and previously the Taliban as well a some of the scummiest people.

I kind of view the government of Colombia as being more scummier than FARC but I know that was not your point.

Edited by Rosewin

why is it whenever these people are caught smuggling drugs they always claim they have a mental problem, once they've been caught?

They get approached to carry the brown bag for large sums of money in full knowledge that if they get caught they could face the death penalty. but they agree to do it anyway. - and i can tell you why they agree to smuggle the drugs, because they come from limp wristed Britain and in the back of their mind they think if i get caught and all-else fails, i'll claim i have a mental problem. the near universal "get out of jail free card".

I aint buying it. let them face the music.

There are three people here we can blame for that LOL

This guy will be let off. I can't see them killing a British national over this. This is to get it out into the media so a little preasure is put on China and they get a little more air time. It's Hollywood baby.

China is run by the bureaucracy, and for him to be pardoned at least one bureaucrat must sign this pardon. Pardoning a serious (4 kg!) drug smuggler would inevitably leave a spot in this bureaucrat's file - bureaucrats are corrupt, and it is death sentence there for corruption, so such spot would present a personal danger... Briton or not, this fella introduced few million bucks worth of drugs to the province where they have Muslim insurgency, and he has at least a Muslim name. In my view if he is pardoned, this has to be decided on the very top level, and even there they would have fears doing this. Not saying this would encourage the gangs to be using mentally sick people in future. British side could catch the gang itself - and extradite it to China, then there would be real cooperation and possibility for him to get away with this, otherwise next month the same people would send another one like that.

Kill the mules all the while the main growers are protected by some government or another. It is all a show.

Brokedown Palace is a good movie BTW. The roach in the ear scene.

I kind of view the government of Colombia as being more scummier than FARC but I know that was not your point.

The FARC-EP has employed vehicle bombings, gas cylinder bombs, assassinations, landmines, kidnapping, extortion, hijacking, guerrilla and conventional military action against Colombian political, military, economic as well as civilian targets, to attack those it considers a threat to its movement.

From WIKI

FARC are murders.

The Colombian government has been behind atrocity and massacre. Anyone informed of the regional climate would know such. The bigger, more powerful murderers clearly are in the government.

According to the Colombian National Police, in the first ten months of 2000 the AUC conducted 804 assassinations, 203 kidnappings, and 75 massacres with 507 victims. The AUC claims the victims were mostly guerrillas or sympathizers. Combat tactics consist of conventional and guerrilla operations against main force insurgent units. AUC clashes with military and police units gradually increased, although the group has traditionally been friendly with government security forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Self-Defense_Forces_of_Colombia

It seems they are having problems now but what about when they were on the best of terms, the Colombian government and the AUC? What about the Indian village massacres?

According to Amnesty International's Annual Report 2006, "Although the number of killings and kidnappings in some parts of the country fell, serious human rights abuses committed by all parties to the conflict remained at critical levels. Of particular concern were reports of extrajudicial executions carried out by the security forces, killings of civilians by guerrilla groups and paramilitaries, and the forced displacement of civilian communities."[3] More than 3.5 million civilians out of the country’s 40 million people have been displaced during the last two decades, according to the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Colombia

This is not a FARC vs the government kind of thing either. It is just they are all crooked murderous thugs. It is just one side claims they are the good guys when you can see right through them for what they really are: the more well-armed and connected thugs.

Edited by Rosewin

The Colombian government has been behind atrocity and massacre. Anyone informed of the regional climate would know such. The bigger, more powerful murderers clearly are in the government.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Self-Defense_Forces_of_Colombia

It seems they are having problems now but what about when they were on the best of terms, the Colombian government and the AUC? What about the Indian village massacres?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Colombia

This is not a FARC vs the government kind of thing either. It is just they are all crooked murderous thugs. It is just one side claims they are the good guys when you can see right through them for what they really are: the more well-armed and connected thugs.

I'm not offering support from the Columbian Government. I'm just pointing out that FARC aren't nice

An update on this article..

"Akmal Shaikh: Death row Briton learns he will be executed tomorrow morning" Quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1238454/Akmal-Shaikh-Time-running-says-daughter-death-row-Briton-executed-hours.html

People really need to rethink their laws. This one's a bit extreme.

i disagree. dealing smack should come with the death penalty, nevermind smuggling it. you obviously are not aware of just how much of a problem that drug is.

regardless of whether or not the guy was 'duped' into this, he is responsible for anything on his person. he may be an idiot, but that is no excuse.

and china for a record contract??? REALLY?

Mmmmh born in Pakistan, lived in the UK, then the States and finally Poland.

But we get lumbered with him?

He's as guilty as they come. Not saying he deserves death but I find the defense really weak..

Especially now Clive stafford smith has got involved. The Ultimate 'naive posh snob liberal Lawyer'..

clive.jpg

He's as guilty as they come. Not saying he deserves death but I find the defense really weak..

Especially now Clive stafford smith has got involved. The Ultimate 'naive posh snob liberal Lawyer'..

clive.jpg

If you did not pronounce a non-Muslim name, I could think the fella on the photo is that very mad smuggler! Pharsi-speaking dudes have this racial type too. Just look at his eyes - this guy would KILL for human rights.

clive.jpg

with a face like that he though he was getting a music contract??

and in china??

with a face like that he though he was getting a music contract??

and in china??

Wrong - this dude is HIS LAWYER! Hard to stay alive with a lawyer like that, operating through a Mandarin translator, perhaps one look at the lawyer is enough to sentence both to death...

Wrong - this dude is HIS LAWYER! Hard to stay alive with a lawyer like that, operating through a Mandarin translator, perhaps one look at the lawyer is enough to sentence both to death...

woops. my bad, please excuse my ignorance. <whistles>

:lol:

woops. my bad, please excuse my ignorance. <whistles>

:lol:

LOL - it is a tragedy and a comedy at once. The lawyer must appear to the Chinese as a typical Western do-gooder, a mad dog of humanism and secret agent of Amnesty International (as the Chinese do not know about devil). My bet is that with such a lawyer the only miracle can be expected - that Hu Jintao personally pardons him for propaganda purposes, otherwise today he would be dismantled for organs.