Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ohio School Janitors To Carry Handguns

• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#181    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,713 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Or as some people call them "cleaners".

Teachers all over the country are filling up gun classes. I wonder what they are going to do with their newly found knowledge or, as the case may be, honing their skills? It's been talked about arming various school employees without anyone knowing which are armed and which aren't.

#182    sslama

sslama

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

• Say what you mean and mean what you say....that way I know who you are and what you stand for!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

I visited Egypt a couple of years ago....you could see machine guns on every corner, in every building...most of the police corrupt.     Sure that would deter many but is that what you want to see when you walk into a movie theatre, or a school, or a mall.  Is that the type of country the US citizens want to live in?  Japan has 0 murders from guns, England 34% are from guns because they have regulations on owning one,.... America 12,000.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."

#183    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,853 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 15 January 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

Correct, the link has nothing to do with Adam Lanza, the link was to provide a case where someone did choose a target.  You gave the blanket statement of "the only thing they care about is shooting as many people as possible, as for specific target, i would imagine their specific target is anything that moves.", this was just to counter that one point.

it was not a blanket statement, it was about what we discussing, someone on a mission to kill, hence Adam Lanza.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#184    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

For those who think shooters don't choose individual targets, and just always try and go for a kill count, here's another one: http://fox2now.com/2...uis/?hpt=ju_bn5

#185    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

Psychic Spy

• 1,093 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

If your going to accept that fact that amerians will always own guns (somthing I think is daft but there we go) then the only way to stop school shootings is to restrict the movement into and out of school grounds to the extent where guns cannon gain entry.

So, walled school compounds with screen entry via metal detectors and armed police on the gates.  Thats the only way, if you give teachers etc guns, one day one of em is gonna use it to shoot children.

Teachers sleep with underage kids on a fairly regular basis and get caught. teachers embezzle schools of thier money, all sorts of things.  They are human, they mess up, break, snap, go wrong, have deep seated issues that are missed via tests etc

I take the view that in a soceity full of guns, where anyone, be they a child, mental paitent or tourist 10 mins off the plane can get access to a gun with relative ease that nutters are gonna go on rampages, its just how it is.

The only way in my view to stop that, is either remove access or restrict access to fire arms to such a degree that rampages cease to have such deadly effects, or you have areas/regions of towns/society where guns are not permitted under any circumstances.  Say inside government buildings, airports, hospitals, schools.

#186    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,052 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

View PostWyrdlight, on 16 January 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

If your going to accept that fact that amerians will always own guns (somthing I think is daft but there we go) then the only way to stop school shootings is to restrict the movement into and out of school grounds to the extent where guns cannon gain entry.

So, walled school compounds with screen entry via metal detectors and armed police on the gates.  Thats the only way, if you give teachers etc guns, one day one of em is gonna use it to shoot children.

Teachers sleep with underage kids on a fairly regular basis and get caught. teachers embezzle schools of thier money, all sorts of things.  They are human, they mess up, break, snap, go wrong, have deep seated issues that are missed via tests etc

I take the view that in a soceity full of guns, where anyone, be they a child, mental paitent or tourist 10 mins off the plane can get access to a gun with relative ease that nutters are gonna go on rampages, its just how it is.

The only way in my view to stop that, is either remove access or restrict access to fire arms to such a degree that rampages cease to have such deadly effects, or you have areas/regions of towns/society where guns are not permitted under any circumstances.  Say inside government buildings, airports, hospitals, schools.

To be honest, I think this whole post is daft.

Since the vast majority of schools do NOT have metal detectors and these security measures that you think are essential, where are all the teachers who are going crazy and shooting children?  I have several friends who are school teachers, not one of them is searched before entering school grounds, so they could be carrying as we speak.

The statement of "Teachers sleep with underage kids on a fairly regular basis and get caught. teachers embezzle schools of thier money, all sorts of things."  Are you aware of how many teachers there are in this country?  What are you defining as regularly?  There were 7.2 million teachers in the US in 2009 http://www.census.go.../cb11-ff15.html

This statement "I take the view that in a soceity full of guns, where anyone, be they a child, mental paitent or tourist 10 mins off the plane can get access to a gun with relative ease that nutters are gonna go on rampages, its just how it is.", shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.  Children can't buy guns, mental patients can't buy guns, and I'm 95% sure a tourist isn't legally allowed to purchase a gun.  Temporary residents and permanent residents I'm pretty sure can, but not tourists.

Your last point isn't the only way, as I'll still stand by Adam Lanza and maybe one or two more would've died at Sandy Hook Elementary had the principal and school psychologist had guns.  If you want some evidence of previous cases that support what I just said, I've provided a link in my previous posts.

#187    Wyrdlight

Wyrdlight

Psychic Spy

• 1,093 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 16 January 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

To be honest, I think this whole post is daft.

Since the vast majority of schools do NOT have metal detectors and these security measures that you think are essential, where are all the teachers who are going crazy and shooting children?  I have several friends who are school teachers, not one of them is searched before entering school grounds, so they could be carrying as we speak.

The statement of "Teachers sleep with underage kids on a fairly regular basis and get caught. teachers embezzle schools of thier money, all sorts of things."  Are you aware of how many teachers there are in this country?  What are you defining as regularly?  There were 7.2 million teachers in the US in 2009 http://www.census.go.../cb11-ff15.html

This statement "I take the view that in a soceity full of guns, where anyone, be they a child, mental paitent or tourist 10 mins off the plane can get access to a gun with relative ease that nutters are gonna go on rampages, its just how it is.", shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.  Children can't buy guns, mental patients can't buy guns, and I'm 95% sure a tourist isn't legally allowed to purchase a gun.  Temporary residents and permanent residents I'm pretty sure can, but not tourists.

Your last point isn't the only way, as I'll still stand by Adam Lanza and maybe one or two more would've died at Sandy Hook Elementary had the principal and school psychologist had guns.  If you want some evidence of previous cases that support what I just said, I've provided a link in my previous posts.

Ive seen more news articles about teachers being caught stealing/sleeping with kids than I have about teachers shooting kids, what I was saying was that if you take a big group of people, what was it you said? 7.2 million teachers? they are all gonna be normal are they? emotionally and mentally sound? not in any way shape or form a risk? nonsense, a very very small minoroty of them are gonna be bad people, or damaged people, its a numbers game, nothing more, nothing less.

I did not say guns would be legally obtained, I live in the UK, gun ownership is practically non existant as is gun related crime, despite this, if I really wanted too, and had a couple of grand in my pocket and hung around some rough bars and spoke to some unsavoury people, i could almsot certainly get a gun inside a few weeks if I so chose.  In the states. where there are loads and loads of guns, i cant imagine it would be any harder.  If i asked around im pretty sure some street thug would sell me a firearm and some ammo for some cash in hand no questions asked, regardless of if i was a tourist, mentally ill or only 15 years old. With so many guns, getting one is, if you have even an ounce of imagination and imparied morals, pretty easy.

My suggestion re screening on entry to schools is an extreme solution I agree, but it would not be hard to implement, it would not be cheap, but it would not be hard.  Fences are cheap, gates are cheap, all you need is 4 fences, a gate, 1 metal detector and 2 policeman per school.  Some schools have metal detectors already, some are making pupils wear radio trackers to monitor attendance, what I suggest is not far from possible, not even slightly.

#188    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,052 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

View PostWyrdlight, on 16 January 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Ive seen more news articles about teachers being caught stealing/sleeping with kids than I have about teachers shooting kids, what I was saying was that if you take a big group of people, what was it you said? 7.2 million teachers? they are all gonna be normal are they? emotionally and mentally sound? not in any way shape or form a risk? nonsense, a very very small minoroty of them are gonna be bad people, or damaged people, its a numbers game, nothing more, nothing less.

I did not say guns would be legally obtained, I live in the UK, gun ownership is practically non existant as is gun related crime, despite this, if I really wanted too, and had a couple of grand in my pocket and hung around some rough bars and spoke to some unsavoury people, i could almsot certainly get a gun inside a few weeks if I so chose.  In the states. where there are loads and loads of guns, i cant imagine it would be any harder.  If i asked around im pretty sure some street thug would sell me a firearm and some ammo for some cash in hand no questions asked, regardless of if i was a tourist, mentally ill or only 15 years old. With so many guns, getting one is, if you have even an ounce of imagination and imparied morals, pretty easy.

My suggestion re screening on entry to schools is an extreme solution I agree, but it would not be hard to implement, it would not be cheap, but it would not be hard.  Fences are cheap, gates are cheap, all you need is 4 fences, a gate, 1 metal detector and 2 policeman per school.  Some schools have metal detectors already, some are making pupils wear radio trackers to monitor attendance, what I suggest is not far from possible, not even slightly.

So you admit, despite your gun ban, bad guys get guns? And as far as the teacher shooting, just give me a link to one, instead of playing the percentages, I set you up to easily refute with just a single case, and you still failed.

It seems this is going to just go in circles, so I'm just going to wait for you to answer the question I originally asked.

Did you take into account all the budget and legal limitations to your solution?

Personally, I think this school district is doing the best they can with what they have.  I'm sure if they had a bunch of extra cash, with the knee jerk reactions in America, they would've already built the jail around the school, as you suggest.

#189    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 16 January 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Did you take into account all the budget and legal limitations to your solution?

Personally, I think this school district is doing the best they can with what they have.  I'm sure if they had a bunch of extra cash, with the knee jerk reactions in America, they would've already built the jail around the school, as you suggest.

Well you do have a point there

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users