Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

my view on hunting.

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#16    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,025 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:03 AM

View PostHilander, on 17 June 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

Now if I just lived in Oregon.  I use to have cows and a pet bull but couldn't stand sending them to auction.

They ship :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#17    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:38 AM

I hunt with a rifle, and a shot gun, and a paintball  gun and a camera.
I hunt for meat and don't believe in trophy hunting, however with that being said I will not hesitate to take a trophy sized animal just because I am hunting for meat. that is part of using ever part of the animal possible.
I won't use a Bow for meat hunting I have seen to many get hit with a kill shot and still run half a mile or more before bleeding out and dying, when my OT 6 hits something it goes down  and if I need a second bullet I don't pull the trigger the first time.  Paintball guns are for running the little buggers( be they rabbits or deer or wolverines OR ETs ) out of the garden. It STINGS ( yes I have been hit with paint balls so I know this for a fact.) it's non toxic, water soluble  and it tells the deer to get out because it isn't wanted there without injuring them to much. and the camera is/was to prove I saw something thought I have a hard time even picking it up and holding it steady any more.
  luckily I live in an area of the world where I can  drive for two hours and be someplace where the only things in danger is the animal I am after.  If I can get a deer it saves me $200.oo a year  if I can get an elk or bear or cougar ( yes I eat cougar) it saves $400.oo or more a year. if there were buffalo ( wild ones) in this state I would hunt them too.  I enjoy the chase as much as I enjoy the taste of what I've killed. and there is a sense of pride in putting food on the table that most people seem to have lost in modern society

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 17 June 2013 - 01:46 AM.

#18    Odds

Odds

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

• -Never judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes... After that, who cares. Your a mile away and you have his shoes. -

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:48 AM

I never understood hunting. Sure, if your means required you to hunt for food, but sport hunting, to me at least, is pure cowardice and unwarranted and unjustified.

~Today's mighty Oak is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground~

#19    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,271 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

I'm a city girl. I don't know much about hunting and all the implications.  I'm not a vegetarian though.

My concern is that I have heard cases where people were shot in their own homes by a hunter's stray bullets. I don't know how common this is; if it is a real danger or not.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#20    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,025 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:59 AM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 17 June 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

I'm a city girl. I don't know much about hunting and all the implications.  I'm not a vegetarian though.

My concern is that I have heard cases where people were shot in their own homes by a hunter's stray bullets. I don't know how common this is; if it is a real danger or not.

LOL......Sounds like a City Urban Legend.

Find me any cases of this happening. Now, there may be a rare one or two, but I can assure you, there are laws on how far one must be when shooting a fire arm, especially hunting, from homes.

Not to mention, I do not know of anyone who hunts near homes, Deer, Elk, and things like that tend to enjoy living out away from people, not in neighborhoods.

Trust me, you " heard " wrong.....

This is Arkansas laws, and I know Nevadas and Oregons, and Californias....They are more strict.

Hunting Near a Residence

Hunters lawfully present through ownership or lease agreement may hunt on their own property, regardless of distance to another person's residence. However, all other hunters using firearms within 150 yards of a residence or using archery equipment within 50 yards of a residence must have written permission from the owner or occupant of that residence.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#21    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,103 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

View PostSakari, on 16 June 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

I used to hunt, bow hunted mainly. I enjoyed it. Had my reasons for stopping, and would never do it again unless forced to for food. If more people understood how beneficial hunting is, it sure would be nice. Not enough understand. The fees for tags and such go straight to the preservation of species, and if things were not hunted, disease, and over population would wipe them out.

There are reasons only so many " tags " are given out, and in certain areas, deprivation hunts are needed.

I also wish more families actually did go out and hunt, so kids could learn things they do not learn on the Xbox and PSP.

Going out as I did, starting with my Dad, has taught me things I will never forget. Number one is respect, for nature.

" Sport " hunting, or hunting on " private " ranch's is bull****.....I also never would hunt Bear, Cougar, Coyote, or Fox. I do not get that. Also, hunting with dogs ( treeing ) is bull****.

I Salmon fish every year in the rivers here. ( also fish for trout and other things year round ) People should be more focused on the over fishing in the oceans then sport fisherman on rivers.

I do not eat fish, I love fishing, for various reasons. I keep enough for my wife, and family that want fish. Other then that, I catch and release. The fish are not harmed, and actually they are quite dumb. I have caught the same trout on the same lure in a certain river, in 5 casts. 3 separate hook ups. I released it, it went back out, and took the same lure again. So, maybe they do not mind being tugged around. I am sure you have no problem eating fish, or shrimp, or crab. I wonder if those fish you eat would have rather been released?

As for Salmon, I release a lot of them. They go up the river and die either way after spawning.

I also release fish ( if we are fishing to keep them ) that are small, or to big ( my judgement, not laws ). Many that others would keep.

More  fish die'on catch and release, than survive.  You see your dry human hands wipe off some their slime.  Wipe to much off the fish die.  At least that is what I have heard.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#22    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,187 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:04 AM

In modern times few can say they hunt for food.  The fact is they hunt for pleasure.  Sometimes the pleasure is being outdoors and getting fresh air, but one does not need to kill animals for that.  Sometimes the pleasure is in the tracking and the skill involved in understanding and finding the animals, but people taking pictures need far more skill and get as much pleasure.

No the real pleasure in hunting is killing.  This is an animal instinct related to human sadism and various other similar things.

#23    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,025 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:37 AM

View Postdanielost, on 17 June 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

More  fish die'on catch and release, than survive.  You see your dry human hands wipe off some their slime.  Wipe to much off the fish die.  At least that is what I have heard.

You heard wrong...Coming from someone whom has been fishing for over 40 years.

It depends if the person knows what they are doing or not.

Now, there are things people need to know to release them safely, including the equipment being used....

Barbless hooks, lures or flies, etc.

Also, knowing when to set a hook, if it is deep, or in the gills, keep the fish.

So, I guess if someone has no clue what they are doing, then yes, they may have a higher rate of death.

Here are some good examples :

http://www.stoneflys...atchrelease.htm

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#24    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,025 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 June 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

In modern times few can say they hunt for food.  The fact is they hunt for pleasure.  Sometimes the pleasure is being outdoors and getting fresh air, but one does not need to kill animals for that.  Sometimes the pleasure is in the tracking and the skill involved in understanding and finding the animals, but people taking pictures need far more skill and get as much pleasure.

No the real pleasure in hunting is killing.  This is an animal instinct related to human sadism and various other similar things.

I bow hunted for over 20 years. As I said, I stopped hunting. I wish I had a camera with me when I went.

For me, you hit it, it was the outdoors, and it was being able ( learning ) to track, and be within 20 yards of animals, without them knowing I was there. I spent more time watching, and not taking a shot, then I did actually taking a shot.

My very last shot ever was a kill, and that kill is when I stopped for good.

I learned a lot, and wish I had more time to go out with my skills, and use a camera.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#25    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 17 June 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

it is very rare but it does sometimes happen  usually someone goes out into the middle of nowhere and builds where they should not be building and tells no one  I've been hunting the same places for  over four decades all of the sudden houses and popping up like spring mushrooms. but no one told me till  I was shooting at an elk No it hasn't happened to me yet but that is the way it usually happens. What's more likely is some one who knows nothing about hunting and the woods sees a movement and empties clip after clip at it without Identifying a target first. or an accident such as  a twig catches the trigger as you move through the brush

#26    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:53 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 17 June 2013 - 04:04 AM, said:

very true concerning the  amount of skill needed to take a picture.  but it takes just as much skill to hunt for meat . especially if UNLIKE ME someone is willing to take a shot at 500 or 700 or 800  yards,
  Maybe in your part of the  world hunting  is due to sadism (and maybe not) But when I hunt with a rifle I hunt for food. I eat what I kill and use the hides and the bones and the antlers and everything else I can use. Even the guts are brought home and buried as fertilizer in the vegetable garden
and to be honest it is insulting to a true hunter to be called a sadist

Edited by mysticwerewolf, 17 June 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#27    msmike1

msmike1

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

Hunting is not for everyone, that is for certain. I do hunt, and always have. I don't do it strictly for the kill as some have suggested. If I did I would have quit hunting a long time ago. I would much rather eat wild meat than anything from a store. It is healthier, and tastes better to me. Hunting is a tradition passed down through my family and I have passed it on to my children. There is so much more to hunting than just shooting an animal. If you don't hunt then you don't understand. I have taught my stepson about nature, about the joys it brings, responsibility,  about doing things right the first time, morals, ethics, hard work, and wildlife conservation all through hunting. I don't like trophy hunting. I don't do it, because I don't think it is ethical to take an animals life just for horns. There is no respect in that. That is not the ethical way to hunt in my opinion. Hunters are the greatest conservationists.

Mike

#28    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,103 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:15 PM

View Postseeder, on 16 June 2013 - 11:52 PM, said:

can we exclude scary house spiders from that please? :yes:

Scary house spiders help to keep other insect populations down in the house, unless it is one of the poisonist types to humans.

There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#29    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,103 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

Some hunters would say, they do it to keep populations in check.  It would be better to reintroduce predaters into the area if possible.

#30    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,222 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

View Postdanielost, on 17 June 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Some hunters would say, they do it to keep populations in check.  It would be better to reintroduce predaters into the area if possible.

In many places that is a sure recipe for disaster.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users