Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Dead Body Remains in Shipwreck

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#106    AdamDizzy

AdamDizzy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

It is true about the body inside the wreck.  There is video of the body on a SouthportVideo Productions documentary titled "Ghost Ships of Isle Royale".  Not sure about the legend of a body that follows divers around, but there is a body in there.

#107    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,612 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

View PostAdamDizzy, on 07 March 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

It is true about the body inside the wreck.  There is video of the body on a SouthportVideo Productions documentary titled "Ghost Ships of Isle Royale".  Not sure about the legend of a body that follows divers around, but there is a body in there.

Correct.

Edited by Swede, 09 March 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#108    RAM72

RAM72

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:36 AM

just ran across this thread.
I was in the group that found the body inside the Emperor (1975 I believe). It was well preserved, I do not recall the body moving.

#109    gadfly21

gadfly21

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

• Wonder is the beginning of wisdom -- Socrates

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:38 AM

View Postpapafish, on 03 January 2011 - 09:40 PM, said:

The wreck of the Kamloops was discovered in 1977 by diver Ken Englebrecht(sic?), from Minnesota I think. I have seen the body in question. It is the remains of the chief engineer, whose name I can't remember. When I saw him in the early 80's, he was intact, with head and hands on. He was on the catwalk next to the high pressure cylinders. His wedding ring (which was shown to me) is in the possession of an Illinois diver. It is a plain gold band. The skipper, William Brian's remains are in the Texas (room below the pilothouse). I've seen this (240'). Also, the remains of a stewardess lie curled up on the shelter deck. The remains of the first mate were found frozen stiff, sitting on a log on shore on the spring of 1928. He had a lifesaver candy in his hands( shipment of same found in the cargo hold- the candy dissolved allthat remains are the paper tubes!) Many artifacts floating around illegally. Hope this clears up questions. At one time I had volumes of info on the Kamloops, and have made many dives to her.

I've been going up to the Lake Superior area several times off and on for the last ten years. I remember visiting the UP falls and Whitefish point  and they had a lot of info about the shipwrecks and old shipping stuff and a ship bell I think around there by the lighthouse.

I find it sad and disgusting though that people are taking artifacts of the cargo and such from this shipwreck.  And you know somebody who stole the deceased engine room person's wedding ring?!?!  Dude, you know the FBI  and/or NPS could subpoena this site and come interview you right?  And your bragging about things taken off the ship??!?

Anyways I been looking online for info on this and this diving website gives the best account including the name of the dead engine room people, Chief Engr. Jac Hawman, engine cokers Andy Brown and Harry Wilson , one of the likely remains you "sports" divers are calling Whitey/Grandpa.

Perhaps you could tell the guy with the ring to give it back to the Hawman family or descendants. The honorable thing to do, seeing as how the NPS and Coast Gaurd or Canadian equivalents probably won't spring for the cost or difficulty to remove the dead from that ship.

Also another scuba site mentioned it's illegal to take video or pictures of the deceased on sunken ships in the lakes per Michigan law, probably why you won't see many surface on the web.

My info came from these sites:

http://www.advancedd...s/kamloops.html

http://www.scubaboar...rior-wreck.html

Edited by gadfly21, 20 May 2015 - 06:34 AM.

"...We used to *know* that the Earth was flat...We used to *know* that men couldn't spacetravel...Imagine what we'll *know* tommorrow..."  -- Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) MIB

"Wonder is the beginning of wisdom" -- Socrates

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users