Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time runs backward in a mirror Universe

Ozfactor

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/the-big-bang-may-have-created-a-mirror-universe-where-time-runs-backwards/story-fn5fsgyc-1227151977553

IT’S of the greatest scientific puzzles persisting to this day: how and why does time move forward?

In their bid to finally solve this mystery, researchers have come up with a new theory. They now believe that the Big Bang some 14 billion years ago may have actually created two universes, one a “mirror” of the other, the Scientific Americanreports.

Yep, the universe (sorry — universes!) as we know it may have just gotten a whole lot bigger!

So if time moves forward in our universe, it makes sense that it may run backwards in the other “mirror” universe, right?

That’s what a team of scientists argue, including Julian Barbour of the University of Oxford, Tim Koslowski of the University of New Brunswick and Flavio Mercati of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics.

• Like 1

So... You are born an old man or woman, then get younger until you disappear because your were 'born'?... Or would life be impossible under those conditions... just a 'universe' full of "anti-energy"?...

• Like 2

Youth is wasted on the young , it would be marvelous to start off old, arthritic and senile , and slowly get younger and younger until you are living your teenage years , then your childhood, then being sucked into a 'black hole ' ? and being born in this Universe as a baby , grow old and die then be sucked back into the black hole or worm hole , and be old again ... never ending birth and death . Any theory can be true , because no one knows what the truth is and maybe we will never know .

• Like 1

One thing about it though... In the reverse time universe (if born old, etc).. .You would know from the first how long you had to live... Not sure if I would like that or not...

• Like 1

This is basically the same story that was covered before in this thread.

It is important to realize that time on the "other side of the big bang" would still appear to flow forward in the causal sense (as defined by observers within that Universe); it simply flows backwards in the coordinate sense.

It is also important to realize that this research involved only simulations on point particles subject to Newtonian gravity. No general relativity, no quantum mechanics, no chemistry, etc. So it is still rather speculative.

• Like 7

One thing I have wondered about was that at the BB it is said that for every billion particles of anti-matter a billion and one particles of matter formed which became all the matter we observe today. This imbalance has always bothered me and I have wondered if that extra particle of anti-matter might have formed an anti-universe with time running the other way.

Thank you, sepulchrave. As sepulchrave says above, time does not run backwards in the hypothetical mirror universe, contrary to the misleading title of the article. Just emphasizing this point, as nowhere in the article does it state time runs backwards for those living in the mirror universe. Another journalistic incorrect attention getting title.

“Any intelligent beings there would define their arrow of time as moving away from this central state. They would think we now live in their deepest past.”

(from Ozfactor's link)

Is it possible that the universes occupy the same space, and that the energy of the other universe appears as what is currently called dark energy/matter? It would be present yet moving in opposition to us in time, causing the universe's to both fly apart because they've been trying to occupy the same space since the big bang.

I don't know enough about either hypothesis to know if this is a reasonable line of thought, but I'm curious.

• Like 2

The subject of numerous science fiction short stories. Some of them very good.

.doog yrev meht fo emoS .seirots trohs noitcif ecneics suoremun fo tcejbus ehT

• Like 1

So... You are born an old man or woman, then get younger until you disappear because your were 'born'?... Or would life be impossible under those conditions... just a 'universe' full of "anti-energy"?...

As you get nearer to year zero you realise the true horror of it.

The hole from where you came is where you are heading lol

I feel this explains life after death. When you die here you are born there, and when you die there you are born here. It's a never ending loop of wibbly wobbly timey whimey... stuff.

Great, so I'd have to endure puberty all over again. As if it wasn't awkward enough the first time.

• Like 1

We would start old and end up where???? hehehehe :P

so time would of started going backwards when there wouldnt be any history to go back on. so surely it would cease to exist or not exist at all

I just love science.

Time doesnt actually flow backwards. Its a way of description. If you were there it would be moving forward.

Oops S-Crave already covered that.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Time doesnt actually flow backwards. Its a way of description. If you were there it would be moving forward.

Oops S-Crave already covered that.

How would time be experienced in that universe then? What changes would we see compared to our universe?

How would time be experienced in that universe then? What changes would we see compared to our universe?

Like I said time would move forward and physics would likely be the exact same. I dont think youd even notice except there, maybe, we didnt evolve. It would all be by chance there, just like here. Maybe lizards evolved. (That should be fun fodder for the lizard people believers)

Maybe earth didnt have its moon... or earth was never formed. It could be a random universe like ours is.

@13Homerun13

I like that theory of yours. I don't like the idea of a never-ending cycle of birth-death-rebirth-redeath but I do like your theory.

Like I said time would move forward and physics would likely be the exact same. I dont think youd even notice except there, maybe, we didnt evolve. It would all be by chance there, just like here. Maybe lizards evolved. (That should be fun fodder for the lizard people believers)

Maybe earth didnt have its moon... or earth was never formed. It could be a random universe like ours is.

So it'd be a mirror universe still, but the theory of time moving backwards would be unnoticeable? If so, why bother including it in someone's theory?

I don't get it??

Does the universe move forward in time, but starts off with everything and slowly goes back to the beginning to nothing. So events happen moving forward e.g. Humans may already be all around the universe, and eventually return to be purely earth bound?

Oh mans, why dids they gets Toki Wartooth to writes the title?

So it'd be a mirror universe still, but the theory of time moving backwards would be unnoticeable? If so, why bother including it in someone's theory?

Think of it as two lines on a graph paper starting from the same point moving away from each other at an equal rate.

The single point is the event that started the universe