Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Scientists create 'perfect' pop song

perfect pop song

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,590 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

The "perfect pop song" is being created by scientists using Darwin's principle of natural selection to turn an assortment of random sounds into musical movements.

Just as the strongest and healthiest plants and animals pass on their good genes to future generations, researchers claim music evolves as musicians copy the best aspects of other artists' work while filtering out their less popular traits.

This means that every time someone buys a song, they are contributing to the "natural selection" process by which the best songs are rewarded with success and the worst ones fade into obscurity, the scientists said.

http://www.telegraph...-selection.html

Posted Image

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,736 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

Maybe I missed something... but if what they are doing is basically filtering out 'lesser used' chords or notes - or jst averaging them... won't they just end up with a single Middle C note?

Edited by Taun, 20 June 2012 - 04:12 PM.

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,493 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

Meh... ABBA done that years ago.

#4    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,889 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

View PostTaun, on 20 June 2012 - 04:11 PM, said:

Maybe I missed something... but if what they are doing is basically filtering out 'lesser used' chords or notes - or jst averaging them... won't they just end up with a single Middle C note?

Eventually yes. Then they'll give it to Rihanna or Cheryl Cole to record!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#5    thewild

thewild

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• Y HELLO THAR

Pandora does this via the music genome project. Interesting, but old news.

Posted Image

#6    Taun

Taun

• 5,736 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

View Postealdwita, on 20 June 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Eventually yes. Then they'll give it to Rihanna or Cheryl Cole to record!

Could either one sustain a middle c?

j/k...

#7    Charlie Prime

Charlie Prime

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

I knew it!

I listened to the song they generated.  I recognized it immediately.

This scientific experiment proves the evolutionary perfection of popular music was acheived organically in 1980 with publication of Funky Town by Lipps, Inc...

Edited by Charlie Prime, 20 June 2012 - 06:25 PM.

#8    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,889 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostTaun, on 20 June 2012 - 06:16 PM, said:

Could either one sustain a middle c?

j/k...

I doubt they could even tell you what a middle C was. Cheryl might just be able to mime it!

Edited by ealdwita, 20 June 2012 - 07:30 PM.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#9    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,104 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:51 AM

Yean, there is a difference we all recognize between music and noise. Well...some don't have this ability. but there is a built-in recognition of pleasing chord changes and beats in our brain, for instance, that evoke various moods and emotions.

This is what the Global Music Corporations are trying to tap in on. It's unfortunate when they get it semi-right. I fear with this technology every new pop song they manufacture will connect with our brain-pleasing-music-recognition neural circuits, and we will become captives of another Corporate plot to enslave us into thinking all is well as long as we consume Product.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#10    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

Well if that's the perfect pop song why dont they put it onto the market and see how far it gets in the charts. I can tell you right now,,,,,nowhere lol
In my opinion there is no such thing as a perfect pop song because we all have differing tastes in music. The perfect song to one person will not be the same for another person.
I dont think we need scientists to tell us how music evolves (although I can see the principle by which they worked out their little ditty)  We just have to look at the history of music, from when man first started humming tunes by the campfire, to where we are today with the many forms of music and musical instruments we have.  That is the real evolution of music :)

#11    Taun

Taun

• 5,736 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

View PostEnglishgent, on 21 June 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

Well if that's the perfect pop song why dont they put it onto the market and see how far it gets in the charts. I can tell you right now,,,,,nowhere lol
In my opinion there is no such thing as a perfect pop song because we all have differing tastes in music. The perfect song to one person will not be the same for another person.
I dont think we need scientists to tell us how music evolves (although I can see the principle by which they worked out their little ditty)  We just have to look at the history of music, from when man first started humming tunes by the campfire, to where we are today with the many forms of music and musical instruments we have.  That is the real evolution of music :)

And if they were really concerned about doing it right... they would do it year by year - not all at once...

#12    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

It sounds terrible.

#13    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,270 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

View PostEnglishgent, on 21 June 2012 - 02:51 AM, said:

Indeed, a 'perfect' pop tune might be created but due to man's varying tastes it can never be seen as perfect by everyone and is therefore not perfect.

Isn't this how the Carpenters wrote their music, but they learn't what melody's sounds and lyrics made people listen and applied it to their music (I remember hearing something like this a long time ago...).

Edited by Junior Chubb, 21 June 2012 - 12:09 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#14    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,493 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Put art in the hands of scientists you get soulless crap.  As their "masterpiece" illustrates only too well. IMO

#15    jbondo

jbondo

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:15 PM

One thing most people don't realize is that music any lyric combinations are finite. Even styles have run out IMO.

Frankly, I believe we are too a point where the only thing that makes music new is new people.

Also tagged with perfect, pop, song

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users