Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

THE-BEST OF-HUBBLE.

Hazzard

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hazzard

• Virulence

• Pannkakskungen

• Bogeyman

How can anyone look at those images and not be absolutely astounded. The universe is big...really, really, really, BIG!

Sometimes people say that ET just has to know where we are, and is at this very moment buzzing our skies. While not impossible, I think it to be more likely that, considering the vastness of just our galaxy (not even to mention the entire universe), that ET simply doesn't know we're here at all!

The size of the galaxy, alone, serves to answer Fermi's paradox (as far as I'm concerned). Perhaps we'll "luck out" and SETI will hit the jackpot. Perhaps ET is laying low for some reason and does have an inkling of us...just no way to know. Frustrating and fascinating all rolled into one! user posted image

The sheer size also goes to show that we're an arrogant shower of asses on this planet.....we think we know what is and whats not possible in this vast cosmos and we base our opinions on our tiny understanding of science .......To any sceptics...take a look at these images.Who knows whats possible and whats impossible ? Add to this we are only a very tiny part of one of many universes.....IMHO anything could be possible

I mean c'mon think about it ......... http://seds.org/hst/MosaicFull.html

Edited by Bogeyman

The sheer size also goes to show that we're an arrogant shower of asses on this planet.....we think we know what is and whats not possible in this vast cosmos and we base our opinions on our tiny understanding of science .......To any sceptics...take a look at these images.Who knows whats possible and whats impossible ? Add to this we are only a very tiny part of one of many universes.....IMHO anything could be possible

Absolutely. That's my mindset too.

Mind Freak has spoken!

Im with Lilly on this one.

Sometimes people say that ET just has to know where we are, and is at this very moment buzzing our skies. While not impossible, I think it to be more likely that, considering the vastness of just our galaxy (not even to mention the entire universe), that ET simply doesn't know we're here at all!

Edited by hazzard

These pictures are totally awe-inspiring. When you take a moment to think about how big it is.

1 light year is still really far, when you think about 1 second being 186,000 miles. I cannot imagine there are no other intelligent beings. I imagine one day we'll be able to travel large distances. Nothing as vast as galaxy to galaxy. Our section of the galaxy maybe. Unless someone figures out how to teleport. This takes me to a different subject. It's been possible to teleport atoms a very small distance. But hey teleporting is teleporting. I expect they'll work alot more on this.

Watch the beginning of "Contact"... It is awesome! I get lost in it everytime I see it.

Mind Freak has spoken!

It's been possible to teleport atoms a very small distance. But hey teleporting is teleporting. I expect they'll work alot more on this.

I wouldn`t go as far as calling it teleporting,researchers can use lab techniques to create a weird relationship between pairs of tiny particles.

After that, the fate of one particle instantly affects the other; if one particle is made to take on a certain set of properties, the other immediately takes on identical or opposite properties, no matter how far away it is and without any apparent physical connection to the first particle.

Cool never the less,even Albert Einstein called it spooky.

Quantum computer...? :yes:

Edited by hazzard

Ah so that's what it was. With more knowledge it's possible to control this though. I've got high expectations for the technology that'll be here in the next 100 years. Nanotechnology looks as if it'll revolutionise everything.

That really gives you a good impression of infinity. So how big is this (Link here) compared to Earth?

TeraLink Was Here! ;)

Well, light can travel almost 7.5 times around the Earth in 1 second, that place is 50 light years across, you do the math, it is absolutely huge, but yet tiny on an astronomical scale :)

There is also evidence that you can infact travel faster than light.

But imagine how it would be to meet all the residents from that 50 light year zone.

There is no telling how many different kinds of life there could be right there.

No telling what, reptoids (reptile or reptilian people), humanoids (people that remarkably resemble human beings), amphibianoids (amphibian people), botanoids (plant people), avesoids (bird people), Mammaloids (mammal people, in which humanoids can also be of), Fungoids (fungus people), Androids (mechanical or engineered people), Bacteroids (people made of prokaryotic cellular life forms), Aquoids (fish people), and Invertibratoids (People resembling invertibrates) you might find out there.

Edited by Ryushin

I like this site for really high resolution images, taken by HST and other telescopes, awesome stuff here,

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/universe

Thanks for the link....now I have a new beautiful screensaver. :tu:

Edited by hazzard

Also try this site, the official ESO site, it has got some awesome images available, as well as info on the telescopes that are operational down there.

http://www.eso.org/

Also try this site, the official ESO site, it has got some awesome images available, as well as info on the telescopes that are operational down there.

http://www.eso.org/

Just consider the situation on one planet: ours. There are millions of species on Earth. Millions. Among this protoplasmic plentitude, how many species are smart enough to be interesting on the telephone or able to help you with Sundays crossword? Well, theres Homo sapiens, and then theres nobody.

And also:

How can anyone look at those images and not be absolutely astounded. The universe is big...really, really, really, BIG!

The size of the galaxy, alone, serves to answer Fermi's paradox (as far as I'm concerned).

What's staggering is that each little blob is the combined light of 100 billion stars.

Hubble Ultra Deep Field.

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imaged...iverse+long+ago.

These pictures are totally awe-inspiring. When you take a moment to think about how big it is.

Let's consider for a moment how big BIG really is! Take a look at the same photo at high resolution here: ftp://ftp.seds.org/pub/images/hst/MosaicFull.jpg.

Now. To put what you see into perspective consider this: each object you see in the image is a galaxy with 100,000,000,000+ stars. (The nearest star to our sun is 4 light years away, so if you place 4 light years in the space between the 100 billion+ stars and any one of these structures, you begin to the see just how big the Universe really is. And it is really just the beginning of the story.

But there is still more perspective to be gained from this image.

Work with me here. Imagine that you are outside, on a clear night, in a open field with no horizonal obstructions. You now have a view of 180 degrees of the night sky as viewed from Earth. Remember that there is another 180 degrees of sky that you cannot see. Anyways, now, reach down to the ground and pick up a sample of earth comparable to a grain of sand on a beach. That's a single, solitary sandgrain-sized piece of matter (a suitable substitute would be a single grain of sugar or salt). Take that single sand grain and grasp it between your thumb and forefinger and then completely extend your arm, holding the grain of sand, salt or sugar against the night sky. Now, hold that pose!

Look at the image again.

Here is the good part. The area of the sky that is obscured by that single grain holds everything you see in that image.

You want BIG! Now cover the entire visible sky with grains of sand, all obscuring there own versions of that image! Now, multiply that by several hundred galaxies, PER GRAIN! And that's only HALF the sky! Here's an example from the southern hemisphere: http://imgsrc.hubblesite.org/hu/db/1998/41...s/large_web.jpg

Then throw in inter-galactic distances, which are in themselves astronomical.

And every galaxy you see in both images and behind every grain of sand is at the 15,000,000,000 light years distance range. Oh, and by the way, the light gathered by Hubble to produce the images took that many years to reach the telescope's camera. To put that time block into perspective, consider that our solar system is only about 4 billion years old. That means that the light protons that landed on the camera lens began it's journey to the telescope 11 billion years before our solar system formed.

You wanted BIG. THAT'S AS BIG AS IT GETS!

Finally, (whew!) does it stand on reason that the Earth is the ONLY planet (or other celestial body) that has ever found its way into the "sweet spot" or "life zone" of it's parent star?

Source: Science Channel documentary which included a segment on the Hubble Deep Field.

Edited by Atlantean

While most depictions of extraterrestrials are confined to science fiction, nearly two-thirds of Americans believe that some form of alien life exists somewhere in the universe, according to a new survey.

The telephone poll, which questioned 1,000 Americans, found that 60 percent of those surveyed believe extraterrestrial life exists on other planets.

Of those who believed, most agreed that they would be “excited and hopeful” upon learning of the discovery of extraterrestrial life while 90 percent of them said Earth should reply to any message from another planet, the poll reported. At least two-thirds of those polled who said they did not believe in extraterrestrial life also stated that Earth should respond to an alien signal if the situation arose, the survey reported.