Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Euthanasia-For or Against

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Euthanasia-For or Against (32 member(s) have cast votes)

euthanasia-for or against

1. Yes I am for it (30 votes [93.75%])

Percentage of vote: 93.75%

2. No I am against it (2 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 13 February 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

So a 40-year old mother with kids aged 3, 7, and 12, has the Right to commit suicide because of severe clinical depression but is otherwise completely healthy?  And bugger what her husband, kids, family, and friends think or say?

Someone with severe clinical depression is in no way 'Completely healthy', ever. Imagine wanting to cease to exist and finding no good with the world and feeling like crap no matter what you do. Does being physically healthy automatically negate these feelings? No, it doesn't. I hope you never have to experience the full extent of such an affliction because death seems like a good way out to those concerned.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

#32    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

View Postali smack, on 13 February 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

What are your opinions of Euthanasia. Are you for or against it?
Personally I am against it for a number of reasons:
I think if you "assist" in someone's death, you are killing them, which makes you a killer.
It's a start of a slippery slope, where once you make it legal in UK. It may very well be expected whether people are very getting old and very ill, and suffering from illnesses, they would be expected to be "euthanised".
people could quite easily pressure ill and mentally unstable/mentally retarded people to get euthanasia.
the argument people make about animals been put down isn't valid. Animals are not people and can't kill themselves.
it could give doctors more power where they could pressure people into euthanasia.

If you asked an accountant to evaluate the cost of letting someone live with the revenues they will bring the state I bet a few million people would get put down.

#33    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

although it's against my religious beliefs but yeah .. am with it " on rare cases "
where the person is like 100% Dying on very short run and no way on earth through logic that person would survive
and suffering in a very horriable way
yeah am with it that way

but am against it in cases of dire disases on long run .. coz cure might be found in long run
so no votting for me :D

Edited by Knight Of Shadows, 14 February 2013 - 11:25 AM.

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#34    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 14 February 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

although it's against my religious beliefs but yeah .. am with it " on rare cases "
where the person is like 100% Dying on very short run and no way on earth through logic that person would survive
and suffering in a very horriable way
yeah am with it that way

but am against it in cases of dire disases on long run .. coz cure might be found in long run
so no votting for me :D
most cases it is to with diseases though.

#35    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 14 February 2013 - 01:53 AM, said:

If you asked an accountant to evaluate the cost of letting someone live with the revenues they will bring the state I bet a few million people would get put down.

This is the biggest problem I see with making it legal although I do feel it should be a person's choice because each case is different.  I see something like this  especially happening pertaining with Alzheimer's.

They only have their old memories and relive them in the present  seemingly, who says they are not happy in that state until it finally  attacks the body functions enough to kill them?  It's a very undignified death in most cases but I would still want it to be the choice of the afflicted.

I sometimes wonder what the reaction would have happened if President Reagan were euthanized.
Research funding probably would be cut too, since it's no big cost to the state with a quick legal resolution of euthanasia.

#36    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

It seems to me it should be a personal choice regardless of the reasons.

Who but oneself can truly know their own quality of life or lack of.

Forcing someone to live against their own will seems selfish to me.

In a way its the ultimate freedom, the right "to be or not to be"

#37    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:20 AM

View Postali smack, on 14 February 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

most cases it is to with diseases though.
don't you think is with time and knowledge advancement .. any disase can be cured
and isn't a shame for people to waste chance of cure and living healthy life ?

i don't think she shouldn't do it because it is the will of God no.. i don't think they should wait and suffer because it's their fate
i think they should wait because in future there might be a chance for cure with new knowledge
or might not be .. but chance for life is worth the risk and struggle i think

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#38    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,663 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

I know people who are really mess up, Locked in their bodies unable to move, see, or speak.  Life can become a living hell really quick.   I really don't want to live like that.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#39    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,104 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

No one should have the right to prolong the suffering of another based on flimsy slippery slope arguments.

If you doubt this then walk through a skilled nursing facility in a low income area. Be ready to look hell in the face.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#40    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,708 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:44 AM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 15 February 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

don't you think is with time and knowledge advancement .. any disase can be cured
and isn't a shame for people to waste chance of cure and living healthy life ?

i don't think she shouldn't do it because it is the will of God no.. i don't think they should wait and suffer because it's their fate
i think they should wait because in future there might be a chance for cure with new knowledge
or might not be .. but chance for life is worth the risk and struggle i think
I disagree.  If someone is given 6 months to live and they end up in hospice, they are not going to be hanging around long enough for a cure to be found.  They have been looking for a cure for cancer how long?  AIDS?  Have you ever watched someone waste away from cancer or AIDS?  It is pretty awful.  There is no way I would subject someone I love to suffering until the very last breath they took because there 'might' be a cure in the future.  Who is to say that they would live long enough to see the cure?

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#41    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,167 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:51 AM

Its personal choice and for any goverment to take that way from you says the government dictates your choice to live or die.  I think some nations call suicide a crime.  This train of thought is religious based and hence should be be ignored. Suicide means going to hell. What a joke as far as morality goes. If I want to punch my ticket f the goverenment controled by the need of a religious slant.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#42    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,167 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

The right to ends ones life begins and ends with there choice, no one elses.

Edited by The Silver Thong, 16 February 2013 - 06:57 AM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#43    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,520 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 16 February 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 16 February 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

The right to ends ones life begins and ends with there choice, no one elses.
I mentioned this to someone else in this thread, never got a response, but I'll ask you the same question I asked of them.  A 40-year old mother with kids aged 3, 7, and 12, has the Right to commit suicide because of severe clinical depression but is otherwise completely healthy?  And bugger what her husband, kids, family, and friends think or say?

Surely in this situation the kids have to have some input into that Right to end her life.  Suicide can and does affect other people.  Simply saying that the Right to end one's life begins and ends solely by their choice alone is an extremely narrow viewpoint, in my opinion.

~ Regards, PA

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#44    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostParanoid Android, on 16 February 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

I mentioned this to someone else in this thread, never got a response, but I'll ask you the same question I asked of them.  A 40-year old mother with kids aged 3, 7, and 12, has the Right to commit suicide because of severe clinical depression but is otherwise completely healthy?  And bugger what her husband, kids, family, and friends think or say?

Surely in this situation the kids have to have some input into that Right to end her life.  Suicide can and does affect other people.  Simply saying that the Right to end one's life begins and ends solely by their choice alone is an extremely narrow viewpoint, in my opinion.

~ Regards, PA

In that situation who is truly being really selfish? The person who wants to end their own suffering or the people who want to prolong it?
Are we all just slave that live only for the sake of other people?
Wouldn't they try to get her help first?
If it didn't work would they really want a mother around who could snap and take them out at a moments notice?
Shouldn't the family care what the mother actually wants instead of what they want?

Might be strange but you know instead of just ok we'll kill you find the reason why. If the reason is curable, don't fin do it. If the reason isn't curable then you get the option. Not the government, not a doctor, you. That would be the equivalent of a person who cannot legitimately give consent. I don't think even power of attorney should be allowed for this if it ever was legal.(That could get nasty if money/inheritance was involved and would be closer to buying a hitman then ending a life out of mercy). Attempt to cure give a time limit of 1 or 2 years if conditions don't change then green light it and also to prep the families who will be affected by their death. Illness that falls under the 1 or 2 years should have the ok to go on with it. People should have a choice on how they die.

It would never be a simple hey I want to die, then 5 minutes later.... mission accomplished. Might actually get more depressed people an option to get help if they knew that they had that option from the doctors in the first place. Which would also get them a higher chance to actually get help for their problems.

#45    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 16 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

As much as medical science has advanced in the last hundred years, to some degree it's worked against a "good death. Health care is so much better now I get that, but we also haven't reached a level where we can definitively cure everything, which leaves a lot of people in medical limbo. They are stable, on machines but are brain dead or comatose. I can't say for certain they are suffering but are they living in a real sense? Religious ideas aside if someone has the option of opting for suicide either with the help of a doctor or on their own for medical reasons it really is their decision.

There is a big difference I think between someone who is depressed or even disabled and someone who is terminal and has no chance of recovery ending their life. There was a well known case of a paraplegic in England who traveled to Switzerland to commit suicide by euthaniasia. I don't think THAT particular death was acceptable and as a person in a wheelchair I think it had more to do with the depression of that man losing his ability to walk than being "terminal". However for someone who has reached the end of a progressive disease I take no issue with . I watched a Frontline documentary called the Suicide Tourist about a man with end stage ALS who traveled with his wife to commit suicide with medical help in Switzerland. In his case he discussed it at length with his wife and family, he fully understood his decision and I don't believe was in a depressed state. He seemed relieved and resolved to his course of action and it was appropriate for him in his circumstance. Ethical standards apply to medical issues and I don't think assisted suicide should be any different, a case by case determination is best.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users