Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Looting in New Orleans

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#316    wrighty

wrighty

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

• Manu rule

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:41 AM

I don't think Bush is saying that, I mean I don't like bush and I would be stealing food but I think his point is yes people are hungry and are pinching to survive but the people who they are stealing off are hungry and are trying to survive too. Its like stealing a can of beans off of someone to survive but that was all they had to survive too.

#317    dragonspark

dragonspark

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE(__Kratos__ @ Aug 30 2005, 09:48 PM)
In that picture though... is diet pepsi really something you need to live though?  w00t.gif

View Post

wacko.gif   maybe think about the likely possibility that all the regular water had already been taken out of the store that this person had got the diet pepsi from. So maybe Sodas and such things were the only option left.  

-becka

#318    dragonspark

dragonspark

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:49 AM

QUOTE(wrighty @ Sep 5 2005, 01:41 AM)
I don't think Bush is saying that, I mean I don't like bush and I would be stealing food but I think his point is yes people are hungry and are pinching to survive but the people who they are stealing off are hungry and are trying to survive too. Its like stealing a can of beans off of someone to survive but that was all they had to survive too.

View Post

don't think so, huh?   I saw/heard him say it on the telly. It was durring an interview with Diane  swayer (sp??)

-

#319    dragonspark

dragonspark

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE(Redneck @ Aug 30 2005, 11:15 PM)
Well if someone REALLY needed it to survive, I wouldn't condemn them. Most of the food, perishables and medicine etc. is going to be written off as a total loss anyway. People looting clothing stores, liquor stores etc. however are not concerned about starving to death.

View Post

most of these people have no clothes and the clothes they are wearing are likely torn, wet, and soiled by poluted water and bacteria-- Something that could make them very sick and even kill them. You don;t think it's appropriate for them to take clothes???!! WHAT!   huh.gif

#320    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:06 AM

Can I add that liquor is a disinfectant, and a pain reliever it also helps fires light when the wood is damp. I would pinch it, if I needed to survive.

#321    V for Vanity

V for Vanity

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 05:46 AM

QUOTE(dragonspark @ Sep 5 2005, 01:55 AM)
Well if someone REALLY needed it to survive, I wouldn't condemn them. Most of the food, perishables and medicine etc. is going to be written off as a total loss anyway. People looting clothing stores, liquor stores etc. however are not concerned about starving to death.

View Post

most of these people have no clothes and the clothes they are wearing are likely torn, wet, and soiled by poluted water and bacteria-- Something that could make them very sick and even kill them. You don;t think it's appropriate for them to take clothes???!! WHAT!   huh.gif

View Post

He said not concered of starving to death, not of the bacterial.

#322    QuantumE

QuantumE

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

• "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

Posted 05 September 2005 - 07:06 AM

Just imagine the luck of some of the criminals in the new orleans area who are on bail or are about to go to court for crimes where they would serve jailtime. They could just leave the area and move somewhere else and it would seem they died in the flooding. Get out of going to jail free card. A blessing in disquise for them.

#323    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:39 PM

Can I add that liquor is a disinfectant, and a pain reliever it also helps fires light when the wood is damp. I would pinch it, if I needed to survive.

You bad, bad girl! tongue.gif

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#324    The Russian Hare

The Russian Hare

Silent assassin

• 2,033 posts

• Boat Tailed & Hollow Pointed

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE(dragonspark @ Sep 4 2005, 08:55 PM)

View Post

View Post

You've got a point there, but some people were taking whole shopping carts full of clothes in areas that weren't even flooded...

I plead the Fifth, but if you get pushy with me I'll plead the Second. Posted Image

#325    LarryOldtimer

LarryOldtimer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

• In the beginning, there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light." There still was nothing, but you could see it better.

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:07 AM

The US Department of Labor, working for the "bone-head" Bush, has come up with a new financial program to aid the disaster victims . . . this in less than one week.  It is prettily disguised as "unemployment assistance", but is really a dole . . . any adult (and a good many teenages) can qualify, to the point that even if a person was unemployed before the event, that person merely can say that he/she was going to start being self-employed . . . which covers a whole lot of ground.  As I said, this is nothing but a dole, but it will provide almost everyone who suffered from this disaster to get benefits the same as if they had merely lost a job through no fault of their own, and will give them enough income in the interim so that they don't become economic burdens to those kind enough to take them in in the first place . . . have you noticed that the "red" (strong Republican, and conservative) state of Texas has welcomed refugees of this disaster?  Houston alone has taken in some 240,000 alone.  Yeah, Bush hates the poor . . . I have, as my SN indicates, been around a long time . . . and I have never seen an administration act so quickly to aid victims of any disaster, whether Republican or Democrat.  Do any of you really think that your governments would act as swiftly, or as generously?  Less than one week for a financial program to aid millions of people . . . and mostly black and/or poor at that.  So much for you race baiters!  The federal government has performed well above the call to duty, and our country is exibiting again that we are a strong and compassionate people . . . when we need to be.  You in other countries should do as well if, heaven forbid, you are ever faced with a disaster of this magnitude . . . the area devastated by Katrina is greater than the whole of Great Britain.  I estimate that at least 5 million people are suffering severly because of it.  The TV folks have concentrated only on New Orleans . . . but the whole of the Gulf Coast was devasted, all of Louisiana, Missouri and Alabama for many miles inland.  Katrina still had catagory 1 hurricane wind strength for hours after it made landfall.  This is, BTW, the greatest magnitude natural disaster to ever strike the US.

#326    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 12,671 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 06 September 2005 - 03:12 AM

I have, as my SN indicates, been around a long time . . . and I have never seen an administration act so quickly to aid victims of any disaster, whether Republican or Democrat.

Your words of wisdom and insight are refreshing. Thanks. thumbsup.gif

Truth is always  victorious over hate.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#327    Disinterested

Disinterested

Government Agent

• 3,740 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 07:53 PM

Amid Katrina chaos, officer commits suicide

Tuesday, September 6, 2005 Posted: 1616 GMT (0016 HKT)

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (AP) -- Life wasn't supposed to end this way for Sgt. Paul Accardo: alone in chaos.

He wrote a note telling anyone who found him to contact a fellow officer. He was precise, and thoughtful, to the end. Then he stuck a gun into his mouth and killed himself.

Accardo, 36, was one of two city police officers who committed suicide last week as New Orleans descended into death and destruction after Hurricane Katrina swept through. He was found in an unmarked patrol car Saturday in a downtown parking lot.

His funeral is planned for Wednesday.

Back when life was normal and structured, Accardo served as one of the police department's chief spokesmen. He reported murders, hostage situations and rapes in measured words, his bespectacled face benign and familiar on the nightly news.

"Paul was a stellar guy. A perfectionist. Everything had to be just right," recalled Sgt. Joe Narcisse, who went to police academy with Accardo and worked with him in the public affairs office.

Uniform crisply pressed, office in order, everything just right on his desk. That was Accardo.

"I'm the jokester in the office. I'd move stuff on his desk and he didn't like that," said Capt. Marlon Defillo, Accardo's boss. "He was ready to call the crime lab to find out who messed with his desk."

Maybe, Defillo reckoned, he killed himself because he lost hope that order would ever be restored in the city.

A public information officer, the captain said, turns the senseless -- murder, rape, mayhem -- into something orderly for the public. "It's like dominoes scattered across a table and putting them in order."

But in New Orleans for the past week, the chaos seemed endless.

Like the rest of the department, Accardo worked long, difficult days -- sometimes 20 hours. He waded through the mass of flesh and stench in the Louisiana Superdome. He saw the dead in the streets.

Defillo remembered how bad Accardo felt when he was unable to help women stranded on the interstate and pleading for water and food. One woman said her baby had not had water in three days.

He even wanted to stop and help the animals lost amid the ruin of New Orleans, Defillo said.

Unable to stop the madness and hurt, Accardo sank into depression.

Narcisse remembered being on the telephone with him, complaining about the flooding when his old academy buddy cut him off mid-sentence: "Joe. Joe. I can't talk to you right now." He couldn't handle it anymore, Narcisse said.

"It was like you were having an awful conversation with someone who died in your family," he said.

Accardo -- who also lost his home in the flood waters -- looked like a zombie, like someone who hadn't slept in year, Defillo said. But so did so many on the 1,600-member force.

Officials said Monday that between 400 to 500 officers were unaccounted for, many tending to their homes or looking for their families, and some dropping out. To lessen the stress, officers were being cycled off duty and given five-day vacations in Las Vegas and Atlanta, where they also would receive counseling.

Said Mayor Ray Nagin: "I've got some firefighters and police officers that have been pretty much traumatized."

Police Superintendent Eddie Compass didn't know how many had abandoned their jobs outright, but denied that it was a large number.

"No police department in the history of the world was asked to do what we (were) asked," he said.

But Defillo said he never thought Accardo would kill himself.

"We kept telling him, 'There's going to be a brighter day; suck it up,"' Defillo said. "He couldn't shake it."

According to the obituary in the Advocate of Baton Rouge, Accardo left a wife, Anne; his mother, Catherine; a brother; a sister; and eight nieces and nephews.

Source: CNN.com

#328    Hans Dolbrook

Hans Dolbrook

opemmind1963

• 1,558 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:54 PM

i can see why some of the people looted food,medicine,clothing,and even guns.
if i were there,and my family,or hell anybody i know neede it,i'd be the first person
to break the glass and enter the store.what i have a problem with is when i see somebody loading up a boat with computers,tvs,steroes,and anything else they do'nt need to survive.those people are taking advantage of an awful situation to
make a profit.i bet if you look into it,the reasons most of the stores got looted was not because of a lack of cops,but because most of them were all over the banks of neworleans protecting the fed government's fdic,s self insured money!

Posted Image

{" Everyone needs to feel safe but hell; might as well blame the trailer park for attracting lightning bolts and tornados. I mean, I had a hand in certain things. But everybody's got free will... I just give them enough rope to hang themselves."-Lucas Buck}

#329    saladins follower

saladins follower

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

• screw bush,im going back to africa

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:08 AM

this is some stuff, this was off a cnn and a fox channel

i had it on fox, showed a black man in kroger and it was talking about stealing

turned it to cnn,showed a guy in publix,stealing also and they were talking about supporting for your family   mad.gif

#330    LarryOldtimer

LarryOldtimer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

• In the beginning, there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light." There still was nothing, but you could see it better.

Posted 07 September 2005 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE(openmind1963 @ Sep 6 2005, 02:54 PM)
i can see why some of the people looted food,medicine,clothing,and even guns.
if i were there,and my family,or hell anybody i know neede it,i'd be the first person
to break the glass and enter the store.what i have a problem with is when i see somebody loading up a boat with computers,tvs,steroes,and anything else they do'nt need to survive.those people are taking advantage of an awful situation to
make a profit.i bet if you look into it,the reasons most of the stores got looted was not because of a lack of cops,but because most of them were all over the banks of neworleans protecting the fed government's fdic,s self insured money!

View Post

As usual, the people with no facts run off at the mouth.  Before Katrina, the NOPD had only 1,500 sworn police officers.  It has been estimated that about 200 of them deserted their posts, leaving only 1,300.  Even working 8 on and 8 off, that leaves but 650 (and that figure is generous) to patrol and the land area is about 10 square miles, and it has been estimated that about 100,000 people stayed in New Orleans.  80% of the city was flooded from day one, leaving law enforcement officers with no way of reasonable transport within most of the city (up to your thighs in water and worse doesn't cut it).  There has been no way a force this small could ever deal with 100,000 people over a flooded out ten square miles.  Even if NOPD had arrested criminals, where would they have put them?  In a flooded out jail?  Get real!

Edited by LarryOldtimer, 07 September 2005 - 02:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users