Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Looting in New Orleans

joc

I am curious as to what your thoughts are concerning the looting in New Orleans.

Do you think it is stealing...or is it a matter of survival?

Looting Takes Place in View of La. Police

By ALLEN G. BREED, Associated Press Writer

NEW ORLEANS - With much of the city flooded by Hurricane Katrina, looters floated garbage cans filled with clothing and jewelry down the street in a dash to grab what they could. In some cases, looting on Tuesday took place in full view of police and National Guard troops.

At a Walgreen's drug store in the French Quarter, people were running out with grocery baskets and coolers full of soft drinks, chips and diapers.

When police finally showed up, a young boy stood in the door screaming, "86! 86!" _ the radio code for police _ and the crowd scattered.

Source

user posted image

A young man walks through chest deep flood water after looting a grocery store in New Orleans ...

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• Faeden

• Commander CMG

• joc

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i was just reading that article on cnn and thought the same thing. I think if its food and stuff necessary for survival its not really a bad thing. But if they start looting more valuable stuff like tvs, cpu's, plasma tv's then they should get arrested their just taking advantage of the situation.

I can see looting food and blankets as survival. But taking TVs etc is stealing. And the people who do it are nothing more than sub-humans when they start stealing from the homes of others rather than shops.

Stealing is stealing, but when it comes to food or water I am pretty tolerant. I can't imagine the local grocery store has cashiers at work treading water while checking people out, so if they have food for the family so be it.

Taking anything other than that is the worst kind of theft that anyone can possibly do, it makes me sick to think anyone is going to take advantage of such a horrible situation.

In that picture though... is diet pepsi really something you need to live though? w00t.gif

If all they are taking is food and survival gear, not really a problem to me because not many of those people were prepared for a storm that big to hit.

I am going to have to agree that food and other necessities such diapers, food, etc... should be excused to an extent. Red Cross and other agencies are set up to support people in times of crisis also.

Looters of homes should be shot on sight... gunsmilie.gif

In that picture though... is diet pepsi really something you need to live though? w00t.gif

It is if that is all you got to drink. I don't blame them for taking food, drinks, diapers, etc... It might be along time before things get to livable again. In the same situation I might go for supplies. Living in Florida I know just how bad it can get and how long. Think about how many people who now have nothing. No home, no job, just what you have on your back or in the car. Not good. no.gif

Well if someone REALLY needed it to survive, I wouldn't condemn them. Most of the food, perishables and medicine etc. is going to be written off as a total loss anyway. People looting clothing stores, liquor stores etc. however are not concerned about starving to death.

Finders, keepers, I say.

I think it's more of a shame to let those nice computers and big screen TVs get dissolved than salvaging them and finding a use for them... other than letting them stay in the water.

Besides, electronics companies aren't the ones homeless right now.

Finders, keepers, I say.

I think it's more of a shame to let those nice computers and big screen TVs get dissolved than salvaging them and finding a use for them... other than letting them stay in the water.

Besides, electronics companies aren't the ones homeless right now.

818412[/snapback]

... huh.gif So being homeless gives you an excuse to steal stuff you honesly don't need in something this bad? no.gif

Besides that...where the hell are you going to put that stuff anyway? It's not like they really have homes they can go back to with it..... huh.gif

one looter and a hi-def TV-- "hey dude" why you takeing the big screen TV --there won't be any juice for weeks ?--looter " this GD_TV floats better than i do !!"--yep might make a decent canoe ?

looters taking food and other needed things should be left alone cuz thier just trying to survive

Those poor people thats sad. Its just stuff but i agree if its nessesary things like food and meds and cloths and things if they need it to survive then i dont see whats wrong with it. Who wouldn't do the same if they were in their shoes honestly if u really needed it.

In some of the videos I saw the police were doing nothing to stop them. But I guess when you have that many people in a store grabbing all they can, how are you going to stop them? You can't arrest them all or shoot em all.

You have to look at this as well half the police force is not at work,they have families to take care of as well, and you know the old saying when opportunity knocks take, Like hell, take what you need to live and take what you need for others, time for the national gaurd to start shooting gas, rubber bullets and tasers, but wait only a few cops and wow that might start a riot, better just let them take what they want. Even though these people looting for profit are wrong better that then violence with no control.

As long as it is a necessity then I think it should be excusable...even if you had to go into a home next door to rummage for food...diapers...etc.

I just hope the National Gaurd will understand that most are just trying to survive.

Looting has always been frowned upon and in some cases will get you killed but if I see them shoot people for getting necessities I will be one p***ed off American.

There should be some plan to get those areas back on track but until then what are these people to do?

Looting has always been frowned upon and in some cases will get you killed but if I see them shoot people for getting necessities I will be one p***ed off American.

I thought you already were 'one p***ed off American'. tongue.gif And when are you going to start that: Bush Responsible for Hurricane thread? happy.gif

Lawd joc! You know better than that. huh.giftongue.gif

Looting for things like food and water when you don't have any, is surviving. But looting appliances and electronic.....jewelry and ect that's just not right.

Just to update on the situation in N.O. I just heard there has been shooting in the Super Dome (I think that's what it's called). I don't know why or what for though, I'll post again if I hear anything else tonight.

well, people gotta do what they gotta do to survive. i feel that any kind of stealing wether it is food or electronics is wrong. send all looters to jail. they are looting people's hard earned items. this is not a "robin hood" deal that these looters are doing.

I just hope the National Gaurd will understand that most are just trying to survive. to get those areas back on track but until then what are these people to do?

818705[/snapback]

Just like to also add, the Marines are down there as well. original.gif

A tough call I'd say, necessary for survival but morally wrong. Stealing IS stealing no matter how you put it, but I guess you have to do it if it's a question of survival. I wonder what the US Marines are doing, I'd expect them to drop food packets from choppers to avoid such situations.

I think stealing from jewelry stores, electronic stores and such is sheer exploitation of the situations. I think it would take people with a lot of character not to do such things when they have lost almost everything but there would also be scores of people who haven't lost much but just trying to make most of the situations, I think people like this SHOULD be arrested and punished.

I think it's basically a question of morals, most people who do such things would be law abiding respectable citizens in normal circumstances but I believe such situations bring to light what everybody is really made up of and shows how important law and order is.

Edited by Bone_Collector

The Marines are there enforcing martial law in some parts of N.O. to stop all of the looting, and to stop people from hijacking cars.

I understand why someone who lost everything, and knows that the waters are still rising at the moment, would want to get out of there; but hijacking vehicles to get out? It's straight out of the movie war of the worlds.... I guess Spielberg knows how people would react in times of crisis.

Just to update on what I said earlier.... Right after my other post I turned it from CNN Headline News to the original CNN and I heard that the shooting was at or outside of the Super Dome, not inside of it. I haven't got back on the news lately so I still don't know what it was all about; I did hear something about some of the looters being shot but that's probably just hear say.