Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Should Animals Be Able To Sue Their Owners?

tommy chimpanzee sue owners plaintiff steven wise

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:14 PM

Alright, learn to speak first !

#17    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,848 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 05:57 AM

I'd agree that pets can sue their owners, when it is also allowed for owners to sue their pets. And if they can't pay (how will they?), then they can be punished by imprisonment, just like a human. Otherwise, I propose the pro-animal rights clubs should pay the fines owners legally gain against their pets.

Or, alternately, I propose that pet owners sue the animal rights organizations for the money to support their pet in the way the organization demands. Or, if they will not, then there should be a law that the animal rights organizations then must take on the pet and care for it themselves.

I clean my fishes tank every couple weeks and give him free food. I'd like to take the lazy no good to court and get $10 a week in court ordered support, and then have some pet agency pay it to me for the fish.

Edited by DieChecker, 29 April 2014 - 05:59 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:01 AM

What is needed is probably not something that strikes most people as ridiculous (animals suing) and instead statutes enabling public and charitable (animal welfare agencies) to bring such suits and to impose fines.  This already happens in many places for some animals.

#19    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,848 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:33 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 29 April 2014 - 06:01 AM, said:

What is needed is probably not something that strikes most people as ridiculous (animals suing) and instead statutes enabling public and charitable (animal welfare agencies) to bring such suits and to impose fines.  This already happens in many places for some animals.

I'd agree that animal abuse and neglect legislation is a better idea, with the officers of the law bringing the charges, rather then civilian organizations coming and sticking their noses into peoples business. If someone sees neglect/abuse, report it and let the law take it's course.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#20    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,586 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:51 AM

Private animal welfare agencies and law enforcement don't need to be mutually exclusive.  There are jurisdictions where animal rights are ignored by law enforcers so that the ability to bring private suits (with the loser of the suit paying costs so that such agencies are discouraged from bringing trivial actions) seems to me more likely to provide better protection.

#21    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

Aren't our prisons and court systems over capacity in most regions?

Last thing we need is lawyers signing to monkeys how to get rich quick.

Such an action would be saying that animals have a financial right, then said animal should have to follow all conduct as a humans; ID, Registration of living quarters, Mandetory voting in some countries.

It would be more easy to "fine" the individual that has done wrong to the animal. Instead of "sueing", the "fine" should be set at the care and needs of said animal over the duration of expected life. The trickiest thing IMO would be trying to honor and/or protect the money said animal has acumalated from other manipulative humans.

#22    Sir Smoke aLot

Sir Smoke aLot

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

• ... man isn't fit to live if he hasn't found something worth dying for...

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:43 AM

Highly abusable :(

...If you’re thinking like everyone else, then you aren’t thinking...

#23    SaraT

SaraT

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 337 posts

• Just consider me Sherlock Holmes on Marmite.

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

Now how did I know which country this idiotic idea came from before I even read the article?  Could I in fact be psychic???

#24    Silent Trinity

Silent Trinity

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 204 posts

• Conspiracy Theorist: Nothing more than a derogatory title used to dismiss a critical thinker

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

Well it would make sense, there are ambulance chasers for everything from someone who stubbed their toe on a kerb stone to breaking a fingernail on a shop door, why shouldn't they add this one to their repertoire? lol

What's next, getting written permission from a horse before you can ride it?

Seriously though, the welfare of animals should be a high priority always, but this is just a little silly. I agree there are standards an animal owner / keeper must meet and the appropriate authorities should continue to prosecute those who do not care for the animal properly, but to say the animal can sue them!?

This just smells of (as others have posted in a round about way) a step too far for the compensation culture of this world...

Posted Image

"That is the essence of science: ask an impertinent question and you are on the way to a pertinent answer..."

- Jacob Bronowski

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users