Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Best thing Romans did for Britain was leave

Still Waters

The Romans brought aqueducts, wealth, security and hot baths to Britain but the best thing they did for the population was to leave, a historian has suggested.

Studies of graves in cemeteries from the 400AD to 650AD show that Britons, on average, lived for around two years longer following the fall of the Roman Empire.

Robin Fleming, professor of history from Boston College in the US, said that once Britons were no longer forced to pay taxes they were able to eat more nutritious food which increased longevity.

http://www.telegraph...ian-claims.html

• Like 1

Then the Vikings and Normans invaded...

The Vikings were here before the Romans and had moved on before the Romans arrived.

Not really Spud. The main viking invasions in England where between 800AD and 1066. They actuall overlapped slightly with the invading Normans. But they where WAY after the Romans, who left in around 400 AD.

The Vikings were here before the Romans and had moved on before the Romans arrived.

Wow. And you're English too. Don't they teach you about the history of the Danelaw over there?

Eh!!!...I must've missed that lesson :yes:

My apologies to all you guys. I GOT IT WRONG, the Vikings invaded England in 795 A.D. not far from where I used to live, and the Romans were here about 45 A.D.so I confess that I was and still am rubbish at History,maybe its because I spent half my time during History lessons at school ,gazing out of the window at the girls playing netball.I mean you could hardly ignore all those beautifull legs running about.

• Like 2

A tip for the future, spud......A valid excuse for not being too good at history is to claim that I used to be your history teacher! Lots of people have used that.

• Like 3

I guess it was inevitable that someone was to post that link taun. :tu:

On thing that is for sure though, is that Britain wouldn't be the same as it is today, without the Romans. Whether the Roman era was a good thing or not, it can't be denied that it had a huge impact on Britains history.

• Like 1

A tip for the future, spud......A valid excuse for not being too good at history is to claim that I used to be your history teacher! Lots of people have used that.

Hiya, E, My friends and I considered all our teachers to be ex Gestapo as they were quite merciless if you got something wrong.They never missed bouncing a chalk off your head, or throwing a blackboard rubber at you, or a clout around the ear'ole if they were in range.Todays kids have it easy.cheers S.
  • Like 1