Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

SeaWorld: Killer whale mysteriously injured

nakai seaworld killer whale

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,044 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:15 PM

A performing Killer Whale suffered a horrific injury which left its jawbone exposed at a SeaWorld theme park, prompting fury from animal rights groups.

Pictures showing Nakai, an 11-year-old whale who performs at the San Diego SeaWorld park, with a large gash to its chin were leaked online by a unnamed whistleblower.

In a statement, SeaWorld said Nakai's injury was caused when it 'came into contact with a portion of the pool environment'.

http://www.dailymail...hts-groups.html

Posted Image

#2    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

That's got to be sore, poor thing.

They are far too big to be kept in captivity though.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#3    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,798 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

I was expecting something relatively small, but I don't see how something that big (the injury) happened as a result of hitting the side of the pool.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#4    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,392 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

It looks almost as if the whale had been attacked or it could have originally been a small wound that festered away due to gangerene perhaps.

Either way this does not look to be due to some "pool"accident. Poor thing. Hope he recoveres.

#5    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,357 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:03 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 01 October 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

A performing Killer Whale suffered a horrific injury which left its jawbone exposed at a SeaWorld theme park, prompting fury from animal rights groups.

Pictures showing Nakai, an 11-year-old whale who performs at the San Diego SeaWorld park, with a large gash to its chin were leaked online by a unnamed whistleblower.

In a statement, SeaWorld said Nakai's injury was caused when it 'came into contact with a portion of the pool environment'.

http://www.dailymail...hts-groups.html

Seaworld is either getting worse in their care of these animals or wistleblowers are just bringing these things to light because something is always happening with their orcas.  I do think killer whales are too large to keep in captivity.

#6    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:15 AM

Surely it needs stitching up, and quick? Treating it with antibiotics alone won't close the gash up. Yet more controversy from a tourist attraction I will never visit, out of principle.

#7    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,032 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:53 AM

Who in their right mind thinks keeping whales as animals of amusement or even in tanks is a good idea? These are social animals that live in the bloody ocean for Jegus sake. Though I'm no fan of PETA, they make a good point about housing incompatible whales together. Whales are darn intelligent, it would be like kidnapping three guys and making them live together and perform tricks... I just almost described the Real World... except you're not paid and you live in an extremely tiny house.

Posted Image

~MEH~

Also tagged with nakai, seaworld, killer whale

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users