Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Famine-induced cannibalism in North Korea

Render

North Koreans may be turning to cannibalism — even eating family members — as deadly food shortages continue.

North Koreans may be turning to cannibalism for survival as serious food shortages continue to wrack the infamously oppressive Asian nation, some new reports suggest.

The Sunday Times wrote that a DPRK father was allegedly put to death by firing squad, after it was discovered that he had killed and eaten two of his own children last year — during the 2012 famine, which may have killed thousands.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/asia-pacific/130127/new-rumors-surface-famine-induced-cannibalism-north-korea

In a weird twisted way this is not suprising me at all.

• Like 3

You know what the problem is, if you go to the Daily Fail article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2269094/North-Korean-parents-eat-children-driven-mad-hunger-famine-hit-pariah-state.html?ICO=most_read_module

In May last year, the South Korean state-run Korean Institute for National Unification said

So all this information is most likely from South Korea.

Which makes it questionable.

• Like 5

The truly sad thing about this is that the media is using the real plight of starving people to make it appear as though cabalism is rampant among them just to sell a story. That absolutely disgusts me.

• Like 4

I don't believe this.

• Like 3

The truly sad thing about this is that the media is using the real plight of starving people to make it appear as though cabalism is rampant among them just to sell a story. That absolutely disgusts me.

Yikes! I meant cannibalism. My spell checker is dumber than I am. :wacko:

• Like 2

The story trended pretty high on Yahoo "news" today as well. I thought this one would stay obscure as well.

From what I read it was a single case of cannibalism by a man eating his 2 sons. Which in the cannibal guidebook falls under snacking.

• Like 5

I'm surprised the North-Korean media haven't spun this:

'North Koreans tastiest people in world says great leader'

• Like 2

Cannibalism Reported in Famine-Stricken North Korea

These and other disturbing news reports of cannibalism were originally relayed by Asia Press, a Japanese news agency with citizen reporters in North Korea, and published in the Times and other Western news outlets.

In the spring of 2012, a drought wreaked havoc on North Korea's crops, according to the Times. Following that disaster, a severe tropical cyclone hit the country, leaving an estimated 21,000 homeless.

As a result, last year the secretive pariah state was forced to accept food aid from South Korea (its sworn enemy) for the first time in years, according to CNN.com. An estimated 10,000 people are reported to have died of hunger-related problems in the past year.

Starvation has visited North Korea regularly since the 1990s, according to the Global Post. In 2003, following another bad crop, reports of famine and cannibalism began to circulate widely, the British newspaper The Independent revealed.

http://www.livescience.com/26677-north-korea-cannibalism.html

I agree, the thing is they suck you in. A heartfelt story of suffering we all cannot help but feel pity towards, in this article, that focus is placed on an anonymous man who allegedly killed and ate his kids. And immediately, one thinks, yeah, sure, as if you could eat your kids! I'd let them eat me first! But, then you think about the Shari'ah atrocities, beheading daughters for talking to boys, and stoning for being seen with a non family male, and you think ...... well........ could it be?

But I think Coffey hot the nail on the head. And the fact that the father is anonymous scream Chinese whispers, in Korea. We have meat! sounds like an Urband Legend.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I agree with the Daily Fail reference. But beyond North Korea and more from a global perspective, maybe people should be eaten, especially in a famine. We're just animals. The "ewww" factor is pure political correctness. Come on folks, buck up and have a taste of that mouth watering pork, smoked on a stick and dripping with BBQ. You'll forget everything they told ya about how nasty it was supposed to be. Especially if you weren't even told what it is before you ate it.

Ingrid Newkirk's Will is indeed unique in the world, but maybe it shouldn't be.

2. While the final decision as to the use of my body remains with PETA, I make the following suggested directions:

a. That the “meat” of my body, or a portion thereof, be used for a human barbecue, to remind the world that the meat of a corpse is all flesh, regardless of whether it comes from a human being or another animal, and that flesh foods are not needed;

b. That my skin, or a portion thereof, be removed and made into leather products, such as purses, to remind the world that human skin and the skin of other animals is the same and that neither is “fabric” nor needed, and that some skin be tacked up outside the Indian Leather Fair each year to serve as a reminder of the government’s need to abate the suffering of Indian bullocks who, after a life of extreme and involuntary servitude, as I have seen firsthand, are exported all over the world in this form;

c. That in remembrance of the elephant-foot umbrella stands and tiger rugs I saw, as a child, offered for sale by merchants at Connaught Place in Delhi, my feet be removed and umbrella stands or other ornamentation be made from them, as a reminder of the depravity of killing innocent animals, such as elephants, in order that we might use their body parts for household items and decorations;

d. That one of my eyes be removed, mounted, and delivered to the administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as a reminder that PETA will continue to be watching the agency until it stops poisoning and torturing animals in useless and cruel experiments; that the other is to be used as PETA sees fit;

e. That my pointing finger be delivered to Kenneth Feld, owner of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, or to a circus museum to stand as the “Greatest Accusation on Earth” on behalf of the countless elephants, lions, tigers, bears, and other animals who have been kidnapped from their families and removed from their homelands in India, Thailand, Africa, and South America and deprived of all that is natural and pleasant to them, abused, and forced into involuntary servitude for the sake of cheap entertainment;

http://www.peta.org/features/ingrid-newkirks-unique-will.aspx

• Like 3

There are endless possibilities... fortunes made over night from allowing humans to sell their remains after death for consumption. Insurance policies containing previously made contracts to share holders of the remains could yield a whole new profitable market. These contracts would give the individual the economic ability to achieve their career goals and live the dream.

lol

• Like 1

Imagine a society where people eat each other for profit...

... imagine the TV reality shows...

I don't think we're far off from this becoming reality.

• Like 2

This isnt good at all,lil kim thinks he has problems from the outside world wait till all these people start eating brain and spinal tissue!He will have a army of people running all around laughing hysterically,spazzing out,and all sorts of wild behavior!

Let em eat each other the cannibalism guide needs some additional chapters since Vladimir the cannibal went down.

This isnt good at all,lil kim thinks he has problems from the outside world wait till all these people start eating brain and spinal tissue!He will have a army of people running all around laughing hysterically,spazzing out,and all sorts of wild behavior!

To my knowledge that is not the typical way Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) presents.

I gather instead, the central nervous system including brain degrade.

I've seen video of cattle with the similar prion affliction known as "BSE", bovine spongiform encephelopathy. They appear stupified, can neither walk nor stand; and jitter. It ain't perty.

Candidly, Kim Jong Un has other problems. I gather there's growing unrest in his politburo. His senior leaders seem growingly discontented with the K.J. dynasty. Young Kim should watch his back. I wouldn't rule out a coup d’état here.

http://www.flickr.co...sfc/8249377151/

To my knowledge that is not the typical way Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) presents.

I gather instead, the central nervous system including brain degrade.

I've seen video of cattle with the similar prion affliction known as "BSE", bovine spongiform encephelopathy. They appear stupified, can neither walk nor stand; and jitter. It ain't perty.

Candidly, Kim Jong Un has other problems. I gather there's growing unrest in his politburo. His senior leaders seem growingly discontented with the K.J. dynasty. Young Kim should watch his back. I wouldn't rule out a coup d’état here.

http://www.flickr.co...sfc/8249377151/

I know this i had a uncle who died of creutzfeldt-jakob disease,i was refering to kuru which when first discovered in papua new guinea was refered to as the laughing disease.Both are related illnesses.You would be correct it's not a nice way to go.I was kind of making a joke with the first post :P

• Like 1

Kim Jong Un is frickin crazy. He needs to be removed. He is the one and only person, save maybe his brothers, in all of North Korea while the people starve and/or freeze to death. At this point rumors of cannibalism don't even matter.

That sob keeps them weak by starving them so they won't revolt. Take him out with a drone!

This is so sad and unnecessary. family members in South Korea must be heartbroken, feeling helpless.

Edited by Lava_Lady