Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 4 votes

Sleep Paralysis stories

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

#61    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

How do you hear on your heart?

#62    Classified Document

Classified Document

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

I had sleep paralysis again about 2 days ago. I was just looking around my room staying calm. My suroundings were all accurate I could tell I wasn't dreaming. I was trying so hard to move my arms and legs the only thing I could kind of get to move was my mouth lol.

So far I have never seen an old hag or a entity sneaking up on me *Knock on wood*. Is it true if you start freaking out during sleep paralysis you have a "bad trip" and start hallucinating really erie things?

~ Sorry ~

#63    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

View PostClassified Document, on 21 December 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

Is it true if you start freaking out during sleep paralysis you have a "bad trip" and start hallucinating really erie things?

I didn't. It just broke me out of it.

#64    Esoteric Toad

Esoteric Toad

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

• Where does one get certified as an "Ancient Astronaut Theorist" or "Cryptozoologist"?

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

Once you become aware of what it is it becomes a bit less frightening. I've found that usually it is caused by exhaustion and sleeping in uncomfortable positions. Sleep apnea may play a big part in it (even though sleep apnea occurs more frequently. In over weight folks, I am not).

#65    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

The one time I had sleep paralysis and was completely aware of it, it started off as not being frightening because I knew exactly what it was. It became frightening because it didn't pass as quickly as I expected. After thirty seconds or so I freaked because it's damned frightening to experience what a quadriplegic experiences every day -- just a head connected a non-moving body.

#66    C235

C235

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 216 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I dreamt of a shadowy figure approaching me then it went around me & tried to strangle me I woke up & noticed I have been paralyzed, I immediately concentrated & entered my mind to the state of total chaos & got free very easily. then more attack came but all futile cause I could break easily through paralyzation  & then our romance begun :D a naughty spirit

#67    Anto.

Anto.

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

Ok, so ever since I saw a terrifying programme on sleep paralysis years ago, i've started experiencing this myself. On the programme, the woman would regularly get a black cloaked faceless person paralyse her and stand over her. Frightening stuff. Ever since then I have been fearful of getting them myself. And sure enough a few years ago I had my first experience, to my relief there was no faceless figure hanging over me, BUT I felt a presence. This morning of all mornings, I suffered my latest and most terrifying episode to date. I woke in my dream, called my partner to wish her and her family a merry christmas, then felt something watching me, I told my partner what I felt and my apprehension. I got out of bed, walked through the sitting room and as I got to the kitchen door, I stopped, attempted to turn around, and I got paralysed solid to the spot. I tried telling my partner but I could just only make a pathetic noise, that grew higher pitched the more distressed I got. She kept asking if I was ok and her voice grew fainter and fainter, as if the volume on my mobile phone was getting turmed down, and I felt it's presence...

luckily only once have I experienced paralysis while being concious, it was earlier this year, amd again I felt the presence...this time I was in bed, on my back, but my eyes were stuck a quarter open..couldn't open or close them, and in the pitch black of my bedroom I could feel it with me. I tried in vain to scream, flail my limbs, close my eyes bit to no avail. it lasted 90 seconds or so, before I fell back asleep, only to wake a short while later with a terrible sense of fear.

I've now had 4 episodes this year, 1 semi concious, 3 in dreams, and I fear this will continue to increase in frequency. My saving grace is that over the years I think I can safely tell when an episode like this will happen. For starters, I need to be conciously aware that I am alone before I fall asleep. I recall a few years ago that my partner had got up before me, so I went back to sleep for a while and then I had one of those dreams. I have never went to bed with her on a nighttime and had one of these dreams. Sje jas never been next to me when I have woke from one of these either.
The second hint I get is I have the sensation that I'm being watched as i'm in my bedroom and getting into/ lying in bed. The third hint is that I feel vulnerable and I get the feeling something is going to happen. I truely hate having these dreams/ experiences, they are terrifying and although i've never felt in danger during these episodes, it's still a frightening experience.

I'm unfortunately sleeping alone again tonight with my partner at her parents for christmas, and I am getting those horrible feelings already that tonight maybe a repeat performance. Only when I go to go to sleep will I know if I will be getting a repeat, but I hope for my own sake that I don't. My git feelings and instincts are never far wrong, bit tonight I really hope is an exception, or I may ja e episode 5 of this year to post tomorrow!

#68    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,132 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:49 AM

Dreams are nothing but your own demons, but experience a  real over dose like my hubby did last night,  he over dose his drugs he uses for pain management and stop breathing and saw the light.Called  911and we went to the hospital  Christmas eve but he survive and is back home.

#69    Antilles

Antilles

NCC-1701

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

Well this is really interesting. I hope the lady who posted above had a good Xmas and her husband is OK.

I thought it was just me. I've never heard of sleep paralysis before but it describes exactly what happens to me every so often. No paranormal stuff involved. Just I wake up and I can't move for a minute or so.

I didn't know this happens to other people.

I was a frequent sleepwalker until I was about 8 then I stopped. I do remember that the nights when I sleep walked, I had the most vivid dreams.

I wonder if that's somehow involved.

Interesting topic.

#70    Hellhoundly

Hellhoundly

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

When I was little, I can remember waking up and Dracula standing in the corner of my room! I couldn't move and he just stood there staring at me. I used to be terrified of Dracula (not vampires. just him! perhaps it was the accent) and I would always 'pray' to Dracula before i went to sleep, pledging my loyalty and alliance to the vampires. no idea why. Didn't want to be eaten I guess :P

A year or so back I can remember kinda gasping awake, looking to the side of my room. Next to my bed I had a side table, and then near the wall was a desk. I remember seeing a gruesome, hairy type gargoyle thing with huge horns and claws and sabre teeth perched on my desk. The eyes were small, and glowing red.
Unlike dracula, it was breathing - I could see the fur moving and the mouth opening and closing. It was making a horrible hoarse breathing noise (for Skyrim players: sounded a lot like a hagraven!) and I stared at it a while, my heart hammering away, before finally being able to turn to the side and pull my covers over my head. I still could hear it makes those breathy noises and I was willing myself to sleep. Before I fell back asleep, the breathing noises were getting closer and closer to me. Thank god I fell back asleep.

#71    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

I think I was about 12 when I woke up and clearly saw the silhouette of a man in the doorway of my bedroom. Like a character in a horror move, he was backlit so his features were in shadow. I asked him who he was and he just laughed. Then, typical of my stupid dreams, he did something weird. He pulled out a large sack and dumped it on the floor. It was full of mice! They ran everywhere and some got up on my bed. I'm not scared of mice so this didn't bother me. I asked him why he did that and he laughed some more. Once I realized that mice couldn't climb up the side of my bed the dream instantly ended with me sitting in bed staring at where the man had been. My parents said they heard me talking to someone.

This is the first hypnagogic hallucination I can remember.

#72    bbygurl24

bbygurl24

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm having issues, i'm not 100% sure its sleep paralysis but it sounds a lot like it. It started shortly after my insomnia did after an event that happened to me last februaury. This paralysis occurs, though, only when i have nightmares related to that event last februaury. During the nightmare i try to wake up, but its like i can't. I mean i wake up enough to know that i am in my bed, but i can't move any part of my body. I can't yell out for help or even open my eyes. But even with me knowing all of this, i am still trapped in that nightmare. I feel as if there is someone in the room with me, and sometimes i feel someone touching me, and i start panicking. When this happens it lasts for a while. It feels like forever. But whats worse, is that when i actually do wake up, i see a man standing at my front door. My therapist says the reason i see the shadowed man is trauma related. But it still scares me. I'm scared to sleep. Its like, the closer to february, the worse it gets.

#73    bbygurl24

bbygurl24

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

I'm having issues, i'm not 100% sure its sleep paralysis but it sounds a lot like it. It started shortly after my insomnia did after an event that happened to me last februaury. This paralysis occurs, though, only when i have nightmares related to that event last februaury. During the nightmare i try to wake up, but its like i can't. I mean i wake up enough to know that i am in my bed, but i can't move any part of my body. I can't yell out for help or even open my eyes. But even with me knowing all of this, i am still trapped in that nightmare. I feel as if there is someone in the room with me, and sometimes i feel someone touching me, and i start panicking. When this happens it lasts for a while. It feels like forever. But whats worse, is that when i actually do wake up, i see a man standing at my front door. My therapist says the reason i see the shadowed man is trauma related. But it still scares me. I'm scared to sleep. Its like, the closer to february, the worse it gets.

#74    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

• WRATH

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:10 AM

I get sleep paralysis almost every night thanks to Insomnia. Sometimes I can induce a good lucid dream but I have seen some weird ****. I once saw myself staring back at me with a sort of callous look on my face, my arms folded. I also looked down at my chest and I was holding a newborn baby (No idea what THAT was about). I also saw a shadowy figure at the bottom of my bed holding a knife right at me. I also saw this weird ******* explosion of blue light right at my face one night one night and once I went into SP while I had my head under the covers and as I was staring upwards at the blackness, the room suddenly became bright and it shone through the blanket. I remember as well after watching Alien I had a lucid dream where a facehugger got a hold of me. I instantly went into SP as that thing had me in its grip.

I've heard some weird stuff too like this swooshing sound (I suspect blood flow to the brain) that I've heard a few times just as the paralysis starts. I remember late one night I could hear a baby crying around the house and I also heard a skull being crushed by a car wheel and it was LOUD. I know it was a skull because I had a lucid dream to accompany it.

I can honestly say I'm not thrilled about this 'ability'. Sure it can be cool going into lucid dreams but I hate SP and that feeling it brings on.

Edited by Sean93, 14 January 2013 - 05:11 AM.

"Regarding life, the wisest men of all ages have judged it alike: It is worthless."

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

#75    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

View PostSean93, on 14 January 2013 - 05:10 AM, said:

I can honestly say I'm not thrilled about this 'ability'. Sure it can be cool going into lucid dreams but I hate SP and that feeling it brings on.

You'll always wonder how long it's going to last which is not fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users