Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mermaid body found?

Still Waters

Since the very earliest times, stories of merfolk or merbeings - sea-dwelling entities with the upper bodies of humans and the tails of fishes - have been reported by maritime travellers. Such accounts have been traditionally dismissed as nothing more than quaint folklore, and in some cases this is unquestionably true. Various others are simple misidentifications of seals or sirenians (manatees and dugongs.

Equally, most accounts of preserved mermaid specimens are based upon skilfully prepared hoaxes, usually featuring the head and body of a monkey deftly attached to the tail of a large fish.

However, there are also certain other cases on record that cannot be readily discounted as either folktales or frauds, as demonstrated by the following highly intriguing selection of thought-provoking, still-unresolved examples.

http://karlshuker.bl...ch-of-folk.html

• Like 1

That's cool. Actually my little sister asked me some days ago if it was okay for her to believe in mermaids. She's been really into mermaids lately and to be quite honest I wasn't really sure as what to reply.

I ended up saying something like "I think it's okay, there are so many things out there we cannot explain and have yet to discover, so who says that we won't find proof of the existence of mermaids?" And then she asked me what she could become when she's grown up to find one. Since that day she is totally convinced to study sea biology and search for them (of course our parents don't like that idea, but before that she wanted to be a pizza delivery girl ... don't see their problem).

Next time I see her, I so gotta show this article to her (actually it makes me feel better after having her so encouraged^^).

By the way, I heard some rumors about eating mermaid flesh grants immortality. Anyone knows where that comes from?

Nothing wrong with hoaxes, some are quite amusing.

Thanks,

alot of the time they do it to be known, they wait for an amount of time then say we did it, its a hoax then they get publicity.

i think its an ego thing really or for money so they can sell there story.

• 2 weeks later...

With all the toxic crude being dumped into the oceans these days and all the wildlife dying because of if, I wouldn't really be surprised at what might wash up on shore some day. The classic pics of mermaids are lovely, but I think the real deal might be really scary looking....it would be totally adapted to the ocean, at the top level of the food chain. Maybe more fearsome than a shark???:)

I find this stuff silly. Of course there is not anything such as mermaids. Just like there is not anything such as a centaur.