Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nome, Alaska - Fact or Fiction?

Senator Palpatine

By now I guess most people are aware of the upcoming movie "The Fourth Kind", which is supposedly based on true accounts.

Apparently, there is a lot of disappearings in Nome, more than in many other places.

Is there a real psychologist, called Dr. Abigail Tyler? Are there any interesting cases from Nome?

Interestingly enough, the title is taken from Jacques Vallee's classification of close encounters, and as many probably know, Vallee is "opposed" to the theory of aliens from other planets...

To clarify, when movies say "based on real events" or some such, I am aware that they can be based on one sentence to a whole history, and that it is always unclear exactly what the "real events" are. That they pixled the face of the supposedly real psychologist is most likely another trick to make the movie more appealing. I'm not out to debate the movie, just what facts it is based on (if any).

I'm not sure if the psychologist is a real-life person or not. I'm not interested if it actually happened, it just looks like a good film to me.

its likely rubbish I can't find any info on this doctor or the events at nome prior to shortly before the film was announced

and sites like this http://alaskapsychiatryjournal.org/entries/Dr-Abigail-Tyler-Bio.html and this http://alaskanewsarchive.com/news/archive/7-8-1997/Nome-Nugget-Abigail-Tyler-Profile.html seem to be pretty thin if you just scratch the surface

looks a good film tho

Edited by Spend

If it's "based on true events" then it's most likely based to the same scale Texas Chainsaw Massacre was... The story had inspiration from the Ed Gein case.. everything about the movie however, was completely fictional.

It's a game these directors and writers play to get people to go see their movies. The person writing them is "inspired" by a true event, and writes a completely fictional story, and they get to tag it as "based on true events"

I stopped paying attention to the whole "true events" thing a long time ago.. its usually BS...

• Like 1

True Story: The FBI and Missing Villagers in Nome Alaska

In 2005, the FBI sent homicide detectives to investigate a series of unsolved disappearances and deaths in Nome, Alaska. Most of the victims were Native villagers. Between the 1960s and 2004, over 20 people mysteriously died, or vanished. In 2006, the FBI concluded that "excessive alcohol consumption and a harsh winter climate" were to blame for the disappearances.

Dr. Abigail Tyler and the "Alaska Psychiatry Journal"

In the movie "The Fourth Kind," Milla Jovovich plays Dr. Abigail Tyler, the Nome, Alaska, psychiatrist who stumbles upon the 'alien abduction' link between her patients, during clinical hypnotherapy sessions. If you search for Dr. Abigail Tyler, Nome Alaska, a website called "Alaska Psychiatry Journal" provides a "biography" of Dr. Tyler with "related articles" on the topics of sleep disorders, emotional issues, hypnotherapy and regression therapy. However, the website does not have a homepage or contact information. The website was registered on GoDaddy in August 2009. A real online-medical publication would have such information, so this leads to the conclusion that the website is a viral marketing ploy, much like the promotion for the upcoming "2012" movie and the for "Institute for Human Continuity." Sorry to burst your bubble, but this doesn't rule out that Dr. Tyler 'could' have been based on a 'real' doctor; but if there were, the true account would have made for a much more interesting find.

http://www.examiner.com/x-22738-New-Haven-Movie-Examiner~y2009m9d5-The-real-story-behind-The-Fourth-Kind

Good read sweetpumper I`ll go see it just for the chill factor!

And I think the Amazeing Race went there a few years ago and shot a few roaming Nomes ? :wacko:

• 1 year later...

it's not based on true events per say- between the years of 1960 and 2000 24 people died and went missing mysteriously, the fbi did an investigation and said the cause was alcohol and a harsh climate, but then a psychologist suggested it was due to alien abductions and did her own investigations. the film is based on the theory of that, but i don't think it's based on actual evidence. however my boyfriend argued that the 'archived footage' was too realistic too be dramatized....frankly it just scared the crap out of me lol. when the movie was first released there was a website that had a 'biography' of dr abigail tyler and links to several psychological therapies such as hypnosis and regression etc, but after universal investigated it there was a $20,000 settlement to cease investigation and universal claimed that the website was in fact fake and used as a marketing ploy. as far as i know, you can't go on the website anymore

According to this newspaper, there were over twenty unexplained deaths and disappearances from the 1960s to the early-2000s, and many local people suspected that a serial killer was at work. That's why the FBI was finally called in, although they blamed most of the deaths on alcoholism, suicide, accidents, exposure, etc. Unlike many areas with large Native American populations, Nome was not a "dry" town, and it's well known that alcohol has always had a very bad effect on these Native populations.

Indeed, this is one case in which I think Prohibition is probably a very good idea, at least on the local level, given the damage that alcoholism inflicts on Native peoples.

This newspaper also found that no Dr. Abigail Tyler existed:

http://community.adn.com/node/143292

Even today, though, some people still suspect that a serial killer may have been running around up there.

Edited by TheMcGuffin

it's not based on true events per say- between the years of 1960 and 2000 24 people died and went missing mysteriously, the fbi did an investigation and said the cause was alcohol and a harsh climate, but then a psychologist suggested it was due to alien abductions and did her own investigations. the film is based on the theory of that, but i don't think it's based on actual evidence. however my boyfriend argued that the 'archived footage' was too realistic too be dramatized....frankly it just scared the crap out of me lol. when the movie was first released there was a website that had a 'biography' of dr abigail tyler and links to several psychological therapies such as hypnosis and regression etc, but after universal investigated it there was a $20,000 settlement to cease investigation and universal claimed that the website was in fact fake and used as a marketing ploy. as far as i know, you can't go on the website anymore

I saw the movie, too, and it was very scary,so well done that it left me wondering if it was really true.

I wouldnt Live up there to Save Adam! who ever Adam is?

But I still need to See the Movie missed that one all togther?

Makes me get the willie -chillies just thinking of Alaska !

Aliens Love Cold places. Thats why they crashed in Roswell New Mexico there indestructible memory metal forgot that

106 degs would wack out the FTL Space ship,and put it into peices into the Ground back in 1947.

I didn't think it was scary at all!

I saw this movie when it came out. At the time I lived in Alaska and was just tickled to have a movie supposedly taking place in AK. Quite frankly, it scared the crap out of me and everyone I went with but there is no way it's real. First of all, the 'real footage' has some holes. If you have ever seen a picture of Nome, it's NOTHING like the Nome in the movie. It's on flat land with nearly no trees. In one of the videos of the UFO outside the house you can see tall pine like trees all over.

The footage looks very real and is indeed freaky but it's all fake. The local newspaper in Anchorage, AK got really angry because Universal faked some newspaper articles or something and that took a lawsuit and all that jazz to clear up.

Good movie in my opinion though! :)

One of the strangest reports at UFO Info are the multiple reports of "holographic" men in Nome in the summer of 1988. According to a source, they were reported over three nights by several people. If it's true, it's hard to imagine what they were which makes it a fun report.

Check out the reports starting at #95.

One of the strangest reports at UFO Info are the multiple reports of "holographic" men in Nome in the summer of 1988. According to a source, they were reported over three nights by several people. If it's true, it's hard to imagine what they were which makes it a fun report.

Check out the reports starting at #95.

Those reports are hilarious! if you have a spare hour and need a good laugh give them a read. Brilliant! Seems like every sighting is the result of the witnesses intake of LSD. Id say that 99.9% of them are complete fabrications from attention seekers.

I don't see why they bothered to even try and make out that it was a true story. I have seen this movie since I originally posted and I wasn't all that impressed. Just seemed to be another attempted horror movie.

I remembered reading something about it, and pulled up the Wiki page.

The first one address' fake news reports attributed to the news of the area:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9BU5KV81&show_article=1

The second one:

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/143292

I found this interesting:

No one has heard of the psychologist, including the state licensing board and president of the state psychologists association. And while there have indeed been disappearances in Nome — mainly people traveling to the hub city from surrounding Inupiat and Siberian Yupik villages — blaming a real-life tragedy on alien abduction is not sitting well with the non-profit that pushed the cases into the open.

“The movie looks ridiculous,” said Kawerak Inc. Vice President Melanie Edwards, who watched the trailer online Monday. “It’s insensitive to family members of people who have gone missing in Nome over the years.”

Universal Pictures is distributing the film in the United States. The star, Milla Jovovich, is a veteran of three “Resident Evil” movies about diabolical corporations and zombies. In the trailer, she introduces herself as an actress and tells the audience that “every scene in this movie is supported by archived footage.”

Read more: http://community.adn.com/adn/node/143292#ixzz1Josd5HXe

I remembered reading something about it, and pulled up the Wiki page.

The first one address' fake news reports attributed to the news of the area:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9BU5KV81&show_article=1

The second one:

http://community.adn.com/adn/node/143292

I found this interesting:

Everything in the movie was fake its been proven over and over.. Its actually really, REALLY old news.

that cruddy film wasted 2 hours of my life!!!!

Lol I actually was hurt deeply by how the lovely Milla Jovovich looked me in the eye in the beginning and told me lie after lie... :cry:

• Like 2

Those reports are hilarious! if you have a spare hour and need a good laugh give them a read. Brilliant! Seems like every sighting is the result of the witnesses intake of LSD. Id say that 99.9% of them are complete fabrications from attention seekers.

UFO Info has hundreds of fun reports going back decades. I've wasted more than an hour reading them. Most of them are not worth reading (I ignore all the bedroom visitations) and are so lacking in details that they're worthless. There are even some that are proved hoaxes but are still listed. A few of the rest make for great scary fiction, especially if they start out mundane and believable.

I especially like the road encounters like the Nome ones since driving alone in the middle of the night is naturally scary. There is one that has all the elements. A couple's truck overheats and while fixing it in the moonlight they see an alien creature jump over a wall and casually stroll towards them across the road. The woman screams, the alien jumps back over the wall and watches them, but decides to come back over again. They panic, dump water onto the engine and get out of there. As they pull away they see the creature is trying to smile at them but has rows of pointy teeth. Little details at the right time (in this case at the end of the story, not the beginning) sell the tale.

The Nome reports are also pretty good. They allegedly happened over multiple days, they allegedly had multiple witnesses (but no names!), the reports build in detail (start with one creature, end with three), they were in a spooky area (the road leads to Nome's extensive strip mines) and ultimately make no sense. Why would "holographic" beings who don't seem to be real appear over three nights at the same time just to be chased or chase teens around. If people were obviously going there expecting to see something incredible, why didn't anyone bring a camera (this was 1988)? Since Nome is such a small town, it's doubtful that you could verify any of these reports even though this should have been big news there.

• 1 year later...

I watched that a while ago :) i think most of the film is made up but im sure that i saw an article somewhere about disappearances in nome but its probably dramatised

-------Sensei waffles