Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Marriage

spud the mackem

Marriage is a contract between 2 people stating that they will stay together (for better or worse),but it seems that when things don't go according to plan (for worse) people can't handle it and part. Is this caused by the stress of modern day living ?. A Headmaster I know told me that 57% of children at his school are single parent families , and its worse in other schools.Has Marriage gone down the pan,or do people decide not to bother and just partner up, then when it comes to the crunch no divorce is necessary.Its tough on the kids who are left without a mom or dad.

• Like 2

I've been divorced for about 8 yrs now and I don't think I'll ever get married again. I don't want to grow old alone but I don't want to get married.

I'll take the diamond though, just not everything else that goes along with it haha

Edited by Viviana98
  • Like 1

does anyone have parents that arent divorced?

ive been engaged, but didnt marry her as it was a drug fueled relationship, and i only asked her to marry me when i was off my tits, but she took it for real.. had to buy a ring and all.. lol..

was in a 10 year defacto relationship.. never married, as whats the point, unless you have kids.. i hate weddings too.. they really annoy me.. especialy when its someone who has been married three times..

• Like 1

does anyone have parents that arent divorced?

ive been engaged, but didnt marry her as it was a drug fueled relationship, and i only asked her to marry me when i was off my tits, but she took it for real.. had to buy a ring and all.. lol..

was in a 10 year defacto relationship.. never married, as whats the point, unless you have kids.. i hate weddings too.. they really annoy me.. especialy when its someone who has been married three times..

My parents are still married, been married for 35 years now.

I love when the person has been married multiple times lol that gets me. If it didn't work out the first or the second time there's probably a reason and you should maybe worry about what that reason might be before worrying about getting married again.

• Like 1

One of my friends has been married 3 times, but then her first husband used to knock her about so you can't really count that. Nobody in my family has been separated or divorced, and I've been married for 33 years. I don't know, relationships fail for various reasons, it must be hard for all concerned when that happens.

• Like 1

ok, so lots of parents stay together.. wow.. maybe i only know sinners.. sinners are grinners..

i do hope that i will be with someone for the rest of my life.. im 39.. (39 is so the new 29.. ) it would be nice growing old with someone.. a true soul mate.. I've been seeing this little french speaking girl around me for a few years, and she is my daughter.. she is very pretty.. so thats coming.. i dont speak french.. so my soul mate is French.. lol..

I would say marriage is evolving to fit the modern world. It's not necessary but nice to have with the right person. And some people may feel they don't need the legal contract anymore.

I think the whole concept of "family", "community", etc. are changing as well into something more informal.

I've been divorced for about 8 yrs now and I don't think I'll ever get married again. I don't want to grow old alone but I don't want to get married.

I'll take the diamond though, just not everything else that goes along with it haha

Hiya Viv,If your Avatar is you, you'll never walk alone,hope you meet the right fella, good fortune to you.Its no use saying good luck as I dont believe in luck, ha ha, its fate mate.cheers.
  • Like 1

Whenever I seriously consider someone to date, I always think ahead, towards marriage (though I would never mention that to them and risk scaring them off, lol). It's just my natural thought process, but yes, I'd like to end up married, happily of course, if that doesn't happen well... I wonder if there's somewhere that will marry me to vodka?

• Like 2

Hormones or whatever it is guys have, are rampant in youth. You meet someone and stake your life your ALWAYS going to ove with and want to be with them. The years roll by and situations change, personalities change and there is a whole world of people out there that you bump into that you fall for, marrriage is a committment, not necessarily a love pact, you just can't know what the future holds.

If you meet someone in later life, the same thing applies.

Hi Guys/Girls, The success in Marriage is to let her think she is the Boss, ha ha , but my Mrs says that I am the head of the household and she is the Neck,which can twist the head any whichway. Yes Ma'am Captain Ma'am shall I leap off the bridge at your command.We met at school but I keep telling her that If I like her I might stay (after a lot of years Married).Dont go in the Kitchen if you cant stand the heat, hee hee.

Marriage is very useful legally. Tax breaks, medical rights, finances... that kinda thing. The concept and tradition of marriage is still attractive to the majority of people, plus religions seem to like it still.

My parents are divorced. I'm divorced. One of my sisters is getting divorced. My other sister has been married for about 15 years now.

The thing about marriage now is that people do not NEED to be married. An individual person can get through life fine on their own. Very different than when women couldn't work and men had to plow fields or whatnot. You needed two people to complete a functioning place in society. Not anymore.

I'm not at all cynical about marriage, which I probably should be considering my experiences with it! My parents split up when I was 11 and I have been married twice (age 22, and 32). I'm in the process of divorcing my second husband at the moment, it should be through by xmas. Now I have met my soulmate in Marty I wouldn't even consider not being married to him, it will happen some time next year! I've had some bad luck in the past - first husband was a closet gay who cheated on me, and second husband was a violent con man. Once you meet the right person you know, I know now....but I admit I was naive in the past and was taken for a ride. Marty's for keeps though, not one shadow of doubt!

love0060.gif

• Like 2

Whenever I seriously consider someone to date, I always think ahead, towards marriage (though I would never mention that to them and risk scaring them off, lol). It's just my natural thought process, but yes, I'd like to end up married, happily of course, if that doesn't happen well... I wonder if there's somewhere that will marry me to vodka?

Whisky makes you frisky,

Water turns you rusty,

Rum turns you numb,

But Vodka rots your guts, Nasdarovia !

Hiya Viv,If your Avatar is you, you'll never walk alone,hope you meet the right fella, good fortune to you.Its no use saying good luck as I dont believe in luck, ha ha, its fate mate.cheers.

Awwww thank you spud and yes that's me. I hope I meet the right fella someday too :)

• Like 1

I've been married 3 years now, so obviously I don't think it's a "lost cause", but to be honest though I'm not really sure what is meant by that.

I presume the OP is asking if marriage is needed in today's society, to which my answer would be no. However, I do think it is wanted, at least by many of us.

It doesn't matter how many times someone has been married or whether they never get married, it's up to each individual person to make their own decision and there's no right or wrong answer.

The old saying - "Marriage is an institution".........But then again, so is Broadmoor!

• Like 1

Marriage is a legal contract between two people. It affords partners certain rights and protections. Medical, legal and death decisions.

I've been married 25+ years. It isn't easy. Takes a great deal of work but IMO, it's very much worth it.

Nibs

• Like 1

Whisky makes you frisky,

Water turns you rusty,

Rum turns you numb,

But Vodka rots your guts, Nasdarovia !

And brandy makes you randy!

I've been married 3 years now, so obviously I don't think it's a "lost cause", but to be honest though I'm not really sure what is meant by that.

I presume the OP is asking if marriage is needed in today's society, to which my answer would be no. However, I do think it is wanted, at least by many of us.

It doesn't matter how many times someone has been married or whether they never get married, it's up to each individual person to make their own decision and there's no right or wrong answer.

Well Buddy I hope you make it to 40 + yrs like me.

My folks have been married for 46 years. At one point they almost did split up but managed to get it all back together.

I was married for 12 years. He was a cheater of collassal proportions. I understand he's about to go through divorce #2.

Up until the last couple of years, I was the only person to have been divorced in my family going back generations. (unless you want to count my aunt who married and divorced the same guy THREE times! LOL) one of my cousins split up with her huband a couple of years ago.

I"m not against marriage, but at this point, I'm not sure why I would get married except that the party is fun. If at some point I need to get married so my significant other can make decisions for me or vice versa, or we need to combine medical care or some other reason, Id marry him. But right now, it doesn't seem particularly necessary. We know who we're going home with every night and we know who we like to be with, pretty sure it doesn't require a wedding.

Marriage is a contract between 2 people stating that they will stay together (for better or worse),but it seems that when things don't go according to plan (for worse) people can't handle it and part. Is this caused by the stress of modern day living ?. A Headmaster I know told me that 57% of children at his school are single parent families , and its worse in other schools.Has Marriage gone down the pan,or do people decide not to bother and just partner up, then when it comes to the crunch no divorce is necessary.Its tough on the kids who are left without a mom or dad.

I do not think marriage has gone down the pan, but I think many would like to believe that and remove any importance from the union so that is can be disseminated as a superfluous romantic formality. Or, ironically put, a tradition. I feel marriage has been undermined to a point where it means very little these days, and deliberately so to change the perception of the meaning of marriage.

But divorce was heavily frowned upon when I was a child. Still is in many communities, women had little rights and virtually no Government support. The Western ideal of divorce has changed that around dramatically. Now women can leave a household, and continue life as it was before the breakup, that is not having to lower one's standards for living.

So cultural and economic changes have been massive in the last 50 odd years, more so than they have been in the last 2,000 years of marriage. Rather than marriage "going down the pan" I suspect it is in some respects evolving due to the cultural and economic changes in the general partnership situation overall. It's more like we have changed marriage rather than marriage losing anything. But ironically, we still refer to it as tradition.

I would agree that I think it is tougher on the kids. But we need to face up to ourselves, most people do not give a hoot about kids. If we did, the divorce rate would not be so high. I understand it is warranted in some situations, and I do advocate Divorce, but I think it has become all to easy, and that aspect is where a selfish attitude become enough for a divorce. For instance, I know one lady personally who tells me that her kids are happy if she is happy. I think she has it completely back to front. Responsibility has been removed from marriage I would say. Whilst that may have distinct advantages, I cannot be sure on the whole that it is a good thing. Not that opinions matter, the new way is in motion now. We can do naught but sit back and see what it brings.

For me my future marriage will be a public and legal affirmation of my love for Marty and my desire to provide him with full legal rights after I have passed away in order to make his life easier for him at the time. I want him to feel secure in the knowledge that I have bothered to take the extra step to let him and the world know that I want to be his 'Mrs' and partner for life....but I'm mushy like that! :wub:

• Like 1

For me my future marriage will be a public and legal affirmation of my love for Marty and my desire to provide him with full legal rights after I have passed away in order to make his life easier for him at the time. I want him to feel secure in the knowledge that I have bothered to take the extra step to let him and the world know that I want to be his 'Mrs' and partner for life....but I'm mushy like that! :wub:

Tell me when and I'll drink a toast.A large Drambuie perhaps.
  • Like 2