Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Should Cigarettes Be Illegal?

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,715 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:44 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 14 February 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

WELL...I now have to move from the fourplex I am living in because I am highly allergic to pot smoke.  A new tenant moved in and says she is not smoking it in the building, but we smell it quite often.  She said that she agreed with the no smoking in the building before she moved in, and has smoked not only cigarettes in the building, but, pot, too. It is making both me and my daughter sick.  How can someone be so selfish and callous to do this kind of thing?  This kind of person makes other smokers look bad, and it is a shame because I have been around some great smokers who don't smoke around others just because they can.
Because she only cares about her own body and not yours or your daughter's. It is called being a selfish liar and everyone sees it thousands of times every day. Because recent generations are not givers, they are takers, and concerned  with their self above all else.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#122    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

WELL...I now have to move from the fourplex I am living in because I am highly allergic to pot smoke.  A new tenant moved in and says she is not smoking it in the building, but we smell it quite often.  She said that she agreed with the no smoking in the building before she moved in, and has smoked not only cigarettes in the building, but, pot, too. It is making both me and my daughter sick.  How can someone be so selfish and callous to do this kind of thing?  This kind of person makes other smokers look bad, and it is a shame because I have been around some great smokers who don't smoke around others just because they can.

:( that is a difficult situation. I agree what a selfish tenant! It is extraordinarily rare to be allergic to pot smoke! I have never heard of anyone having that allergy before but I know that it is a real allergy.

#123    Einsteinium

Einsteinium

Psychic Spy

• 1,218 posts

• "Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others."
    -Buddha

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:56 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 14 February 2013 - 03:44 AM, said:

Because she only cares about her own body and not yours or your daughter's. It is called being a selfish liar and everyone sees it thousands of times every day. Because recent generations are not givers, they are takers, and concerned  with their self above all else.

But why do you think I am a taker? I work very hard and I am a very respectful person! But alas, I am from 'that generation.' You know, the generation that our parents generation says are 'takers.' Well they are the ones who raised us! lol ;)

#124    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,715 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:57 AM

View PostEinsteinium, on 14 February 2013 - 03:42 AM, said:

Why do you think it is that we are #1 in the world for a developed nation in terms of % of people in prison? Is this what you want? Banning tobacco and making it criminal would only make otherwise good people into criminals and fill our jails and prisons with people most of whom should not even be there.
I think it partly because we are such a Legalistic nation. It is part of our culture. We value laws above individuals (Dispite the image of Americans as being individuals, we always will back those who have the law on their side.). We (regardless of the popular image) regard lawyers highly. Almost everyone in our upper government are lawyers. We attempt to sue people who spit at us, or who bump us on the street. We have complex legal rituals for just about everything... IE automobile accident: Like 5 forms of identification and proof of legal responsibility have to be exchanged. IE... Getting utilities turned on: You need several forms of ID, and a checking account, and probably proof of where you live, and maybe a credit check.

I think much of the rest of the "Industrialized" world is not nearly to fixated on laws and following laws and punishments.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#125    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,721 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

View PostEinsteinium, on 14 February 2013 - 03:46 AM, said:

:( that is a difficult situation. I agree what a selfish tenant! It is extraordinarily rare to be allergic to pot smoke! I have never heard of anyone having that allergy before but I know that it is a real allergy.
I tried it in my youth.  I was out in 5 mins and didn't move all night.  The doctor told me to stay right away from it.  I am also allerrgic to cigarette and wood smoke.  It is a real pain in the ****, I will tell you.  BUT the big part is, my choice to be smoke free is being taken away from me.  That is what I find the most frustrating.

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with chocolate!

#126    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,715 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:03 AM

View PostEinsteinium, on 14 February 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

But why do you think I am a taker? I work very hard and I am a very respectful person! But alas, I am from 'that generation.' You know, the generation that our parents generation says are 'takers.' Well they are the ones who raised us! lol ;)
I just think overall, that in my 45 years on this world that the current crop is more self absorbed. I saw a article once that showed what people most hoped to gain in life. 50 years ago, they hoped for happiness and a good family, and currently the biggest hope is for Fame or Recognition. The article claimed that todays young adults would rather be Famous then be Smart, or Wealthy, or Successful, or Educated. That is a new phenomena. People used to "worship" famous people and hoped to meet them some day. But now people hope to Be them and do so Quickly.

#127    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,715 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

View Postglorybebe, on 14 February 2013 - 04:02 AM, said:

I tried it in my youth.  I was out in 5 mins and didn't move all night.  The doctor told me to stay right away from it.  I am also allerrgic to cigarette and wood smoke.  It is a real pain in the ****, I will tell you.  BUT the big part is, my choice to be smoke free is being taken away from me.  That is what I find the most frustrating.
You would have hated the house I grew up in. Mobile home with a wood stove, with 4 to 5 layers of smoke in it at any one time.... cigarette smoke (Mom), cigar smoke (Dad), cooking smoke (Deep fat frier of fries), wood smoke (open woodstove), and the general malaise of poverty. :tu:

#128    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,254 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:07 AM

To bad non smokers don`t realize how much tax goes towards there healthcare. A couple hours in a bar big deal, second hand smoke yet they spend endless hours in the sun getting skin cancer. . Until smoking is outlawed outright the owners should have the choice to be none smoking or not and leave it up to the patrans to go there or not.  To hell to those who need government to dictate a none smoker has a right to go into a smoking bar and tell everyone to butt out.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#129    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

This kind of smoker? But every smoker is like that. They all think the world ends with them and that their smoke just disappears went it enters their bodies.
They never truly understand what an annoyance they are to others and they don't care. They refuse to understand the true magnitude of the consequences of their behavior because they limit their thinking and are selfish.

#130    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:58 AM

I use to smoke, on occasion.  Up until maybe two or three years ago, all men in Vietnam smoked, and it was normal to offer a man a cigarette, and quite rude to fail to take it and smoke.

Now that has stopped; the government finally woke up and started an anti-smoking campaign.  Now I can decline a cigarette with no problem, and haven't had one in several years.  I think maybe I was never really addicted.  About two-thirds of men here have stopped.

I notice a pretty sharp distinction in the classes on this.  Party members and professionals and so on have all stopped, so now those still smoking are the poorer educated and so on.  Is this the case elsewhere?

#131    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,721 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 14 February 2013 - 04:05 AM, said:

You would have hated the house I grew up in. Mobile home with a wood stove, with 4 to 5 layers of smoke in it at any one time.... cigarette smoke (Mom), cigar smoke (Dad), cooking smoke (Deep fat frier of fries), wood smoke (open woodstove), and the general malaise of poverty. :tu:
I grew up in a house that never had the proper pipes/ventilation for the wood stove.  My dad was a chain smoker who would not allow us to open the windows in the car when he was smoking because it would let in cold air (obviously in winter).  The doctor reckons this is where my asthma/allergy to smoke comes from

#132    glorybebe

glorybebe

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,721 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

View PostRender, on 14 February 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

This kind of smoker? But every smoker is like that. They all think the world ends with them and that their smoke just disappears went it enters their bodies.
They never truly understand what an annoyance they are to others and they don't care. They refuse to understand the true magnitude of the consequences of their behavior because they limit their thinking and are selfish.
Yeah, have met many of those.

#133    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• 1,703 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

The brush you're painting with is way too wide, like by a few miles.  No, of course 'every' smoker is not like that.  There are selfish and non-selfish people, period; I'm not sure there is any correlation between those groups and the groups of smokers and non-smokers.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#134    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

One of my sons still smokes, although everyone else has stopped.  I must say he is so polite about it, it is almost embarrassing.  He goes out onto the balcony, by himself, and puts out the cigarette if anyone joins him.  He won't even do that if there is a baby in the room.

#135    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

They never truly understand what an annoyance they are to others and they don't care.
Posted Image

They refuse to understand the true magnitude of the consequences of their behavior because they limit their thinking and are selfish.
Why hello Pot! I'm Kettle! Man you sure are black.

Posted Image

~MEH~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users