Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange scream in Salt Fork, Ohio

GoPlayonAhighway

About ten years ago, myself and two friends went to Salt Fork, Ohio to shoot our rifles and camp out. My one friend Bryan's uncle owned some property out there and said we were allowed to use it for camping. Salt Fork is very rural, and heavily wooded. At the time of our visit there was only one store in the whole area. The shop was cleverly named "General Store".

We stopped in to buy some hot dogs and sodas. The elderly woman behind the counter had a big grin on her face as she said "You boys looking for Bigfoot?" We laughed this off, and shook our heads no. We had no idea of the history of Bigfoot activity in the area.

Brian's uncle's property was deep in the woods. There was an old rusty mobile home which we did not have access to. There was just a firepit, and a wooden picnic table that we could use. We fired off rounds for hours until it became dark. We then got a fire going and roasted some hot dogs. It was very late, and we were all sitting around the fire telling stories and eating hot dogs, when all of a sudden a very loud scream came out of the dark woods. This scream was so loud that I could feel the vibrations of the sound wave. It was similar to being at a concert and being too close to the speakers.

The scream only lasted for about 2 seconds, but it was loud and scary enough that we all grabbed our guns, and ran back to the car. We sat in the car with the doors locked for the rest of the night until the sun came up. All three of us were visibly frightened by the noise. This sound was far too loud to have been a human, and this was not from any local known wildlife.

In the morning we packed up our things and drove out of Salt Fork. The three of us have lost touch since that incident, but we never spoke of it afterwards.

I had almost forgotten about it completely until a few years ago, when I saw that an episode of "Finding Bigfoot" had been filmed entirely in Salt Fork, Ohio. I am not saying that I saw or heard a "Bigfoot". But I heard something that was loud enough, scary enough, and angry enough to make 3 guys who were armed, and who do not scare easily, run in fear. I have no evidence video or otherwise, only my memory.

Anyone else know of Salt Fork and its history of strange occurrences?

• 1 month later...

Nice! I knew Salt Fork had sightings, but I did not think it had that many! I don't know if "Bigfoot" exists, but i do know that there is something in the woods of Salt Fork. Something mysterious. People usually do not run out of the woods in fear for no reason. Plus the fact is most people in the woods are experienced hikers, climbers, hunters, fishermen etc. They are not new to the sights and sounds of the forest. Also, most people that are in the woods in Ohio, are carrying a firearm. When you have a weapon it takes a lot to scare you. Yet, something is making people exit the normally peaceful woods in terror, and never want to return.....I dunno.... :huh:

That's interesting. Thanks for posting that .... at least thanks until I'm thinking it over outside at night. :cry:

I'm familiar with your area from way back, my father was an outdoorsman, primarily liked fishing, and we used to go to Salt Fork and Burr Oak back in the 50s even before the State Parks went in. (It was even more beautiful before the parks) You made me remember one thing that did happen when we were camping one night (believe it would have been about 1952) and a storm came up. It was enough of a storm that, thankfully, they decided to move from the tent back into the car. Coincidentally (?) just after we left the camp and got into the car something went roaring through our camp. They could hear things being thrown loudly, a rampage so to speak. We could hear it but the tent was far enough away that in the dark, we couldn't see it. My mother always wondered at the fact that our family dog, a Border Collie, who, of course, was with us in the car, reacted so oddly. Now this was a Border Collie with 100 % of the IQ that goes with that and 200 % of a protective instinct for my family. Thank God we were in the car because my mom watched him take one sniff and start cowering and shaking and remain that way throughout, no barking, no nothing and this was NOT a cowardly dog.

My mom always said that she thought it was a bear that got into the camp and maybe it was but now all these years later, you've given me pause. Knowing that dog and that his tendency was to be overly protective rather than wilt together with that fact that he was in the car, a much, much more normal reaction would have been to bark and warn whatever it was that he was going to tie a knot in it's tail.

I wonder just what that dog smelled out there .... :cry:

• Like 1

rabbits?

Seriously, rabbits scream when they're threatened. Or horny.

• Like 1

That's interesting. Thanks for posting that .... at least thanks until I'm thinking it over outside at night. :cry:

I'm familiar with your area from way back, my father was an outdoorsman, primarily liked fishing, and we used to go to Salt Fork and Burr Oak back in the 50s even before the State Parks went in. (It was even more beautiful before the parks) You made me remember one thing that did happen when we were camping one night (believe it would have been about 1952) and a storm came up. It was enough of a storm that, thankfully, they decided to move from the tent back into the car. Coincidentally (?) just after we left the camp and got into the car something went roaring through our camp. They could hear things being thrown loudly, a rampage so to speak. We could hear it but the tent was far enough away that in the dark, we couldn't see it. My mother always wondered at the fact that our family dog, a Border Collie, who, of course, was with us in the car, reacted so oddly. Now this was a Border Collie with 100 % of the IQ that goes with that and 200 % of a protective instinct for my family. Thank God we were in the car because my mom watched him take one sniff and start cowering and shaking and remain that way throughout, no barking, no nothing and this was NOT a cowardly dog.

My mom always said that she thought it was a bear that got into the camp and maybe it was but now all these years later, you've given me pause. Knowing that dog and that his tendency was to be overly protective rather than wilt together with that fact that he was in the car, a much, much more normal reaction would have been to bark and warn whatever it was that he was going to tie a knot in it's tail.

I wonder just what that dog smelled out there .... :cry:

Yes! You understand! People do not understand that humans can instinctual tell when something is a threat, and a dog's instincts are much sharper than ours. Your dog reacted to something that it knew was an immediate threat to the safety of the pack. Even if I could have gotten close to investigate this thing, I would NOT have. There is no amount of money in the world that would be worth having a face to face encounter with that "thing". There are no words to describe the type of fear that went through me that night. Whatever it is or was, it does not seem "friendly", And that is putting it mildly.

• Like 1

rabbits?

Seriously, rabbits scream when they're threatened. Or horny.

I used to hunt, so am familiar with rabbits and the piercing shrieks they can make when their lives are in danger or about to end. The rabbit scream does not even come close to the pitch or volume of the noise I heard. Believe it or not, the three of us tried very hard to come up with a reasonable explanation for what we heard. We could not. The three of us never had any interest in Bigfoot or Bigfoot sightings, and we certainly never had a desire to come forward as a "witness" to this phenomena.

It is no wonder people do not come forward about encounters. It just opens them up for scrutiny and insults, from people who seem determined to disprove your account. some people out there almost seem desperate about convincing themselves and others that this thing does not exist. They want to claim that every single person that has seen or heard this thing is lying. Or that we are having some massive shared hallucination. Don't believe one story, or two stories. But look at ALL of the stories together. And then decide for yourself what you think is the more logical conclusion. Either we are all liars, or there was something strange going on in those woods at one time. :huh::hmm::wacko::unsure::blink:

I was hiking once and there was a very loud scream. We were in a forest fire area in broad daylight. The scream made the hair stand up on my neck. I felt like an electric shock had struck me. Then I got my wits about me. The 2 of us and a dog got close together and continued hiking. What we heard was something I knew but had never heard before in the wild. It was a mountain lion. This was in the southern Wind River range.

When sounds are sudden and are not repeated it is difficult to figure out what it was.

There is no reason to get defensive when people put out suggestions. Sure people are going to scrutinize tales claiming strange events. Human curiosity is going to do that. Disproving my tale or your story would show that the story never happened. Instead, when people point out that there are simple answers such as rabbits it supports your story or mine with a simple explanation without delving into odd or weird notions.

No one here is claiming it is a lie, or it never happened, or the story was embellished, or hallucinations were involved.

Another caution is that a pile of stories must mean something more than a few stories. Not so. Someone hears something in the woods. They decide they must have heard what others heard and jump on the bandwagon.

• Like 2

Owl?

Don't foxes mak odd sounds too?

Here it's the randy koalas giving folks the willies in the middle of the night with their noises (they sound like Satans own swine),

I was hiking once and there was a very loud scream. We were in a forest fire area in broad daylight. The scream made the hair stand up on my neck. I felt like an electric shock had struck me. Then I got my wits about me. The 2 of us and a dog got close together and continued hiking. What we heard was something I knew but had never heard before in the wild. It was a mountain lion. This was in the southern Wind River range.

When sounds are sudden and are not repeated it is difficult to figure out what it was.

There is no reason to get defensive when people put out suggestions. Sure people are going to scrutinize tales claiming strange events. Human curiosity is going to do that. Disproving my tale or your story would show that the story never happened. Instead, when people point out that there are simple answers such as rabbits it supports your story or mine with a simple explanation without delving into odd or weird notions.

No one here is claiming it is a lie, or it never happened, or the story was embellished, or hallucinations were involved.

Another caution is that a pile of stories must mean something more than a few stories. Not so. Someone hears something in the woods. They decide they must have heard what others heard and jump on the bandwagon.

Good point. and i did not mean to come across as angry or overly defensive. I am not mad at anyone. If I had not been there and heard it myself, I would not believe the story either. unless a person has experienced this first hand, they do not understand how I can be 100% certain this was not a woodland creature that we know of. I guess you just had to be there. And it frustrates me that I cannot accurately explain or reproduce the sound I heard. If I could, I think more people could understand why I am certain this was not a common animal... <_<

Owl?

Don't foxes mak odd sounds too?

Here it's the randy koalas giving folks the willies in the middle of the night with their noises (they sound like Satans own swine),

unless there are owls and foxes the size of elephants, it was no owl or fox.

Was it a fox fighting an owl, on the back of a runaway elephant?

• Like 1

Was it a fox fighting an owl, on the back of a runaway elephant?

Sir Wearer of Hats, I get it. You think I am a fool.

You feel 100% certain this was a normal animal sound, and there is nothing that will ever make you think otherwise. However,

I feel 100% certain this WAS not a normal animal sound, nothing will ever convince me otherwise.

So here we stand. I do not think you will budge on your stance, and I know that I will not budge from mine.

So what happens now. In the old days, I would have challenged you to a duel. Pistols at 20 paces or whatever they did. However gun shot wounds and prison time do not appeal to me right now. So what shall we do??? :whistle::gun:

No, Im just being flippant.

I have no idea what you saw, but I want to exhaust the possible before entertaining the improbable.

• Like 1

About ten years ago, myself and two friends went to Salt Fork, Ohio to shoot our rifles and camp out. My one friend Bryan's uncle owned some property out there and said we were allowed to use it for camping. Salt Fork is very rural, and heavily wooded. At the time of our visit there was only one store in the whole area. The shop was cleverly named "General Store".

We stopped in to buy some hot dogs and sodas. The elderly woman behind the counter had a big grin on her face as she said "You boys looking for Bigfoot?" We laughed this off, and shook our heads no. We had no idea of the history of Bigfoot activity in the area.

Brian's uncle's property was deep in the woods. There was an old rusty mobile home which we did not have access to. There was just a firepit, and a wooden picnic table that we could use. We fired off rounds for hours until it became dark. We then got a fire going and roasted some hot dogs. It was very late, and we were all sitting around the fire telling stories and eating hot dogs, when all of a sudden a very loud scream came out of the dark woods. This scream was so loud that I could feel the vibrations of the sound wave. It was similar to being at a concert and being too close to the speakers.

The scream only lasted for about 2 seconds, but it was loud and scary enough that we all grabbed our guns, and ran back to the car. We sat in the car with the doors locked for the rest of the night until the sun came up. All three of us were visibly frightened by the noise. This sound was far too loud to have been a human, and this was not from any local known wildlife.

It could be an example of a Bigfoot-research technique known as "call blasting" which was in vogue at that time. A particular sound - scream/roar/cry - is broadcast briefly but very loudly through a vehicles sound system parked somewhere in the wilds. The idea being that the particular sound is interesting enough to Bigfoot (as a territorial challenge or whatever) to pique its curiosity and investigate. "You don't find Bigfoot. Bigfoot finds you" - so you play it once - no need to over-do it, then wait hidden in the dark for Bigfoot to come to you. Call blasting was often used in conjunction with scent attractants but nowadays researchers prefer using direct vocalizations (various whoops and hollers) and wood-knocking in order to engage and attract Bigfoot...

The elderly woman behind the counter with the big grin might have asked you about Bigfoot - not because Bigfoot was there to be found - but because she had met others who were looking for Bigfoot. It is not known whether Bigfoot was, in fact, in the area at the time but it seems that Bigfoot-researchers certainly were...

Edited by Night Walker
  • Like 4

You feel 100% certain this was a normal animal sound, and there is nothing that will ever make you think otherwise. However,

I feel 100% certain this WAS not a normal animal sound, nothing will ever convince me otherwise.

So here we stand. I do not think you will budge on your stance, and I know that I will not budge from mine.

So what happens now. In the old days, I would have challenged you to a duel. Pistols at 20 paces or whatever they did. However gun shot wounds and prison time do not appeal to me right now. So what shall we do??? :whistle::gun:

There is only one option.... FIGHT!

http://www.googlefight.com/sir+wearer+of+hats-vs-goplayonahighway.php

• Like 1

It could be an example of a Bigfoot-research technique known as "call blasting" which was in vogue at that time. A particular sound - scream/roar/cry - is broadcast briefly but very loudly through a vehicles sound system parked somewhere in the wilds. The idea being that the particular sound is interesting enough to Bigfoot (as a territorial challenge or whatever) to pique its curiosity and investigate. "You don't find Bigfoot. Bigfoot finds you" - so you play it once - no need to over-do it, then wait hidden in the dark for Bigfoot to come to you. Call blasting was often used in conjunction with scent attractants but nowadays researchers prefer using direct vocalizations (various whoops and hollers) and wood-knocking in order to engage and attract Bigfoot...

The elderly woman behind the counter with the big grin might have asked you about Bigfoot - not because Bigfoot was there to be found - but because she had met others who were looking for Bigfoot. It is not known whether Bigfoot was, in fact, in the area at the time but it seems that Bigfoot-researchers certainly were...

interesting!

Bigfoot researchers are crazy! You could not pay me enough to wait in the dark for that thing! If the cast of "Finding Bigfoot" actually "found Bigfoot"(hypothetically), the results would be tragic!

I do not think a creature matching the description of a "Bigfoot" would react well to a camera being shoved in it's face.(hypothetically)

For Honor, God, and country! We shall handle this like "real men"! On your move sir...

Wait, gentlemen! With your permission, I would be more than happy to officiate at such a proceeding, but I suggest you familiarize yourselves with the following

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/duel/sfeature/rulesofdueling.html

I, of course, will be honoured to arrange the site, transport and medical facilities.

Please dispatch one of your men to acquaint me with your intentions

• Like 1

Please know that I for one do support what you are saying, I don't think some of those that are responding have a complete idea of the "wilderness," forested area you are in and that living there, you obviously have experience with the sounds of the night. :tu: They need to think of how the director of "Last of the Mohigans" made the North Carolina parks LOOK, not the way it actually is but the way he made those forest look and picture that as where your location was. I would bet my farm you outdoor guys down there in that area could identify any of the normal sounds upon hearing two notes and attribute it to the correct animal.

Maybe I should have also added that my mother had spent most of her teenage years on a farm in Ohio in an area that was also sparsely populated. My father was born in 1912 on the family's Ohio homestead farm, raised by his grandfather, and was, of course, active as a child and teenager in activities and experiences around the farm until he left home for college. As an adult his primary weekend pursuit was finding the most remote locations that he could get to so that he could cast his line which included MULTIPLE weekend trips to your area. I'm adding their backgrounds because I think it says something about their experience level. Thinking back it was my mother that always said, "I think it was a bear." I don't think I EVER heard my father say what he thought it was other than it was, "one hell of a night!" I'm wondering here that he knew if he really voiced his questions as to what it was that it would have been his last fishing trip to those really good places. Could letting her envision it was a bear be the best course of action :D

I know this is a "Class F" on the event scale but just the fact that it stood out to my mom for fifty years says something. I think of that and I think of the fact that she said they were far enough from the tent with the rain coming down, they couldn't really see anything and yet they heard what she always referred to as "rampaging" and things thrown with such volition the sound carried all they way to the car and through it's rolled up windows.

Don't mean to repeat, I just wanted to add their backgrounds in Ohio were not just "city slickers" indulging in a once or twice, until the thrill wore off, hobby.

The dog, I was so afraid you would take it he was cowardly. In fact, the dog accompanied my dad almost always, even on the weekends we didn't go with him. Only issue was my father had to watch him because if he was by himself n a remote area and someone happened to approach him from behind from about 50 yards out the dog would be circling them, with a warning growl. His household duties also included positioning himself on the front porch of any house I went into to play with a friend. It became his job to see that no one approached that house while I was there which, as one of my mom's trials, included the mailman being so ignorant that he tried to deliver mail to that house. And that dog cowered. No way in the realm of his norm.

Edited by Vincennes
  • Like 2

interesting!

Bigfoot researchers are crazy! You could not pay me enough to wait in the dark for that thing! If the cast of "Finding Bigfoot" actually "found Bigfoot"(hypothetically), the results would be tragic!

I do not think a creature matching the description of a "Bigfoot" would react well to a camera being shoved in it's face.(hypothetically)

Get paid to go camping and play with infrared cameras at night? That would be a great job except for the whole misleading people that the noises they hear go bump in the night is a hypothesized hominid with nothing more than anecdotal evidence for its existence.

• Like 1

Nicely put. I would put this as the most likely scenario based off of the information given, GoPlay's account and evidence of bigfoot.

Odd thing is that if GoPlay or his buddies would have filed a report, it could be a case where people searching for bigfoot caused a bigfoot encounter.

OP, here's an on-line library of animal sounds. Why not give it a listen and see if anything matches? I'd be more inclined to a feral hog than either a cougar or 'bigfoot', given the settled nature of Ohio.

http://seaworld.org/.../animal-sounds/

Edited by PersonFromPorlock
  • Like 1

Vincennes, I really appreciate your input. I for one am lost in a city. I enjoy the wilderness so much more. That does not mean I am in any way an expert on the sounds I hear in the wilderness. When I do hear something, my first thought is the norm and not some left handed knee walking turkey who's father was an opossum. Was it an amphibian, mammal, insect, or bird? These are the creatures I expect to hear from in the night. The other night I was asked if the call was a whippoorwill. It was a screech owl. I was surprised I knew the sound since I stink at bird calls.

I recall one night hiking back towards my car and I came into a small clearing and almost instantly I was paralyzed. I knew I was surrounded. Something was everywhere around me. I was not making a sound. Then I heard a distinct buck snort and said, "hey deer." It's a miracle I was not stomped to death as this small herd scattered. I couldn't see a thing in this dark night. I forgot to mention I was hiking without a flashlight - on purpose. That's what a night hike is all about. It's hiking in the dark enjoying the dark and solitude. Anyways, almost as shocking as spooking up a grouse at night.