Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Apophis May Strike Earth in 2068

Waspie_Dwarf

Apophis May Strike Earth in 2068 - Scientists

MOSCOW, February 24 (RIA Novosti) - The 325-meter (1,066-foot) asteroid 99942 Apophis, that will safely fly by the Earth in 2029 and 2036, may strike the planet in 2068, according to an article published on the NASA website.

The chances of it striking Earth are slim, however, with impact odds being about 2.3 in a million.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 2

Heh, so Isaac Newton's prediction would only be 8 years off (2060) .

But I don't think i will be around to see it happen. or I would be 111 years old, lol.

• Like 1

Heh, so Isaac Newton's prediction would only be 8 years off (2060) .

But I don't think i will be around to see it happen. or I would be 111 years old, lol.

Except that nothing is going to happen. With only a 1 in 2.3 million chance of it hitting (and it is highly likely that those odds will be reduced further still in the future) I don't think we can predict Armageddon just yet.

• Like 1

Except that nothing is going to happen. With only a 1 in 2.3 million chance of it hitting (and it is highly likely that those odds will be reduced further still in the future) I don't think we can predict Armageddon just yet.

Oh we can predict it. We would just be most likely wrong. ;)

• Like 4

Armageddon was on t.v last night (the film), great special effects.

2060 is ok, by then who knows what we will have to defend us, I am sure they will have found something, technology is growing every day.

If someone had told us we would be seeing pictures of other galaxy's so clearly today a few years back, many would have have classed it as pure fantasy.

• Like 1

One chance in 2.3 million eh? Given that there will be maybe ten billion lives at risk, it deserves close attention.

I wonder what the odds are that I will be around in 2060. A lot smaller.

• Like 1

I wonder what the odds are that I will be around in 2060. A lot smaller.

No worries frank we can just cryogenically freeze you,then bring you back just to see the end lol

• Like 3

Personally, I think this needs to happen. We have become a parasite on the planet and nature is due a cleanse

• Like 1

Use something else; I'm Vietnamese and don't like cold.

I think the point I wanted to make was way too subtle, and so got missed. We automatically think of our personal risk when we hear such a thing, and then dismiss it if its far enough in the future for us to be dead. The future of humanity is the real issue.

• Like 1

Use something else; I'm Vietnamese and don't like cold.

I think the point I wanted to make was way too subtle, and so got missed. We automatically think of our personal risk when we hear such a thing, and then dismiss it if its far enough in the future for us to be dead. The future of humanity is the real issue.

I got your point frank most do not think about the futures risks.We gullibly believe our technology by then will be powerful enough to overcome anything,so we do not have to worry about it in the present time.

• Like 1

I got your point frank most do not think about the futures risks.We gullibly believe our technology by then will be powerful enough to overcome anything,so we do not have to worry about it in the present time.

Not sure if gullible is the right word, I really believe the technology would be there to protect us to a certain extent, but thats only because i know man will keep trying to build the equipment to do this...

Whether it will be sufficient enough, we just do not know that.

We also do not know how the "good" will compete against the "bad", it is this bit which I think is why many people are unsure how to feel about it, its not so much not having to worry about it in the present, its not wanting to worry about the future when we have one side telling us about the wonders of technology and the other side telling us about the threats.

• Like 1

Not sure if gullible is the right word, I really believe the technology would be there to protect us to a certain extent, but thats only because i know man will keep trying to build the equipment to do this...

Whether it will be sufficient enough, we just do not know that.

We also do not know how the "good" will compete against the "bad", it is this bit which I think is why many people are unsure how to feel about it, its not so much not having to worry about it in the present, its not wanting to worry about the future when we have one side telling us about the wonders of technology and the other side telling us about the threats.

I know what you are saying free,i just meant the general population of people who wonder around in a daze with their biggest worry about the future being if their next cell phone will have certain options or not lol.

• Like 2

I know what you are saying free,i just meant the general population of people who wonder around in a daze with their biggest worry about the future being if their next cell phone will have certain options or not lol.

yep, I know what you mean. And they are the same people that when the networks go down do not have a clue what to do next....apart from panic. "future? what future? I have tweeter and facebook to post on, I have no time to worry about the future!" eye-rolling-annoyed-smiley.gif

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

the people that when the networks go down do not have a clue what to do next....apart from panic. "future? what future? I have tweeter and facebook to post on

people?!

that's stretching the definition to breaking point, surely??

;-)

• Like 2

wanna know why the world ain't gonna end in 2068?

because zephram cochran won't launch the phoenix, meet with vulcans, and usher in a new, peaceful era for humanity if it does, and no-one wants that, right kids....?

:-)

freet, where the flimmin' 'ummer are you getting all these post-post smileys from, and can we all get 'em or what?!

:o

freet, where the flimmin' 'ummer are you getting all these post-post smileys from, and can we all get 'em or what?!

:o

If I tell you I will have to keeeeeel you.

smiley_2005_death_opt22222262221877.gif

lurve google.

• Like 1

You never know, Waspie! The chances of winning the UK Lottery are approx 1 in 14 million. Has the jackpot ever been won? Yes it has; numerous times. :)

• Like 1

The odds of you reaching 111yrs are also 1 in 14 million, Abe. lol

(only joking)

You never know, Waspie! The chances of winning the UK Lottery are approx 1 in 14 million. Has the jackpot ever been won? Yes it has; numerous times. :)

Yes, it could be you...

but it almost certainly won't be.

You analogy is a poor one, millions of people play the lottery every week, there is only one Apophis.

How many winners of the lottery do you think there would be if they only sold one ticket and only made a couple of draws every few decades?

The Earth will be hit be a huge asteroid again one day, but it almost certainly won't be Apophis in 2068.

Yes, it could be you...

but it almost certainly won't be.

You analogy is a poor one, millions of people play the lottery every week, there is only one Apophis.

How many winners of the lottery do you think there would be if they only sold one ticket and only made a couple of draws every few decades?

The Earth will be hit be a huge asteroid again one day, but it almost certainly won't be Apophis in 2068.

I should have known better than to try to raise a smile in this forum. :(

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

The odds are still 1 in 14 million, whether only one person plays or not. No matter how many draws.

So wrong that the word wrong doesn't begin to do it justice.

The odds for any individual ticket winning any given draw are 1 in 14 million. The more tickets that are sold the lower the odds that somebody will win the lottery. The more draws there are the higher the odds that someone will win the lottery.

p.s. I should have known better than to try to raise a smile in this forum. :(

When you post something amusing in this form then I will smile.

• Like 1

I am not bothered if it does hit the earth. I'll be 85 years old if i'm still alive. So don't really care TBH. We are talking about 55 years into the future, where most people now will be either dead or stupidly old.

Well, I'm sure I'll be long gone, but my grandkids and their kids will be around. I hope we can find a way to nudge it a bit to a new course. Of course we can always get SG1 to take care of it. They've taken care of Apophis before! :yes: