Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * - - 4 votes

Roswell debris tested; Not from Earth


  • Please log in to reply
905 replies to this topic

#31    TheMcGuffin

TheMcGuffin

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,965 posts
  • Joined:05 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 13 July 2011 - 01:18 PM, said:

There is nothing to debunk. Results don't show any sign of "not from Earth". If we look for natural abundances for magnesium, we will find that numbers slightly differs from posted in OPs link:
78.99% 24Mg
10.0% 25Mg
11.01% 26Mg
(Magnesium Technology: Metallurgy, Design Data, Applications, Horst E. Friedrich, Barry Leslie Mordike, Springer, 2006, page 64.)

So, differences between data for AH-1 and earthly abundances for Mg isotopes are less than 0.5%.


Well, BMK, when it comes to something like this, I'd rather leave it to experts who I regard as neutral, objective and unbiased, and also knew a lot about alloys. I'm sorry, but you don't quite fit the bill there.  

Let's see if anything comes of this.   There have been lots of similar stories in the past that just faded away and went nowhere.

Edited by TheMcGuffin, 13 July 2011 - 03:25 PM.

"The stuff that dreams are made of"

#32    bison

bison

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Joined:13 Apr 2011

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

We see from the chart in the linked article that the Roswell sample has a magnesium isotope ratio which deviates from the norm by twice as much as a meteorite (chondrite). Of course a meteorite is very likely not from Earth, but from the asteroid belt. A figure twice as far from the standard ratio might reasonably be considered to indicate something from even farther afield, such as a different solar system. I wouldn't mind knowing the chain of custody of the samples, though science generally  tends to operate on the honors system. I have some serious doubts that even a dedicated hoaxer would be able to produce an an alloy of aluminum and other metals, including magnesium, wherein magnesium isotope ratios were so far from the norm. I doubt very much that this is simply a case of lying about the results of lab tests. What would be the point, really? If additional tests are not done, the results will remain questionable. If other tests are done, these will either confirm or deny the anomalous isotope ratio. If the latter, the story will fall apart. However, if other labs confirm the results of the first test, we will have, it seems, solid, if rather obscure  confirmation of an off world civilization, and a new, powerful piece of evidence supporting the Roswell UFO crash story. If it is reported that additional labs confirm the odd isotope ratios, we will, of course, need  to see confirmation from all those concerned that the tests were done, and the results were as represented.

Edited by bison, 13 July 2011 - 03:56 PM.


#33    psyche101

psyche101

    Conspiracy Realist

  • Member
  • 31,215 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oz

  • If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:45 PM

View Postbison, on 13 July 2011 - 03:51 PM, said:

We see from the chart in the linked article that the Roswell sample has a magnesium isotope ratio which deviates from the norm by twice as much as a meteorite (chondrite). Of course a meteorite is very likely not from Earth, but from the asteroid belt. A figure twice as far from the standard ratio might reasonably be considered to indicate something from even farther afield, such as a different solar system. I wouldn't mind knowing the chain of custody of the samples, though science generally  tends to operate on the honors system. I have some serious doubts that even a dedicated hoaxer would be able to produce an an alloy of aluminum and other metals, including magnesium, wherein magnesium isotope ratios were so far from the norm. I doubt very much that this is simply a case of lying about the results of lab tests. What would be the point, really? If additional tests are not done, the results will remain questionable. If other tests are done, these will either confirm or deny the anomalous isotope ratio. If the latter, the story will fall apart. However, if other labs confirm the results of the first test, we will have, it seems, solid, if rather obscure  confirmation of an off world civilization, and a new, powerful piece of evidence supporting the Roswell UFO crash story. If it is reported that additional labs confirm the odd isotope ratios, we will, of course, need  to see confirmation from all those concerned that the tests were done, and the results were as represented.


Now that is an interesting take. Like the search for life. I was watching a debate some time ago that I mentioned here about the situation if we did find life on say Europa or Titan. The signatures this life carries may not be proof of ET. If it carries the same composition as life on earth, it may be a better model of proof for the hypothesis of Panspermia rather than ET life. If this is genuine, and did come from a chondrite that originated  in a  distant part of space, it may well offer some clues to a makeup that is different to our own. I suddenly see the find as intensely interesting considering this, and removing the Roswell tale.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#34    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 30,404 posts
  • Joined:14 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

  • Keep Your Mach Up and Check Six

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:49 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 13 July 2011 - 11:45 PM, said:

I suddenly see the find as intensely interesting considering this, and removing the Roswell tale.

On the contrary, the fact that there are two Air Force stories in effect to this very day, proves that the Roswell incident is not a tale by any means. In addition military and civilian personnel at Wright-Patterson AFB, have also confirmed that the Roswell material they examined was not of this earth.

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#35    psyche101

psyche101

    Conspiracy Realist

  • Member
  • 31,215 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oz

  • If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:05 AM

View Postskyeagle409, on 13 July 2011 - 11:49 PM, said:

On the contrary, the fact that there are two Air Force stories in effect to this very day, proves that the Roswell incident is not a tale by any means. In addition military and civilian personnel at Wright-Patterson AFB, have also confirmed that the Roswell material they examined was not of this earth.


Have you read the thread title?

Why would you try to yet again engage me in pointless banter that we cannot agree on? Your credulous nature makes it impossible for me to so much as take you seriously anymore. We have discussed the reports at great length, until you read them there is no point in furthering this conversation as you just make no sense where they are concerned.

Now, the thread title is referring to the object found at Roswell, which has not been proven to be anything special as yet, some interesting characteristics have been suggested. Did this fragment get bent, and then return to original shape?  No, so why is it connected to the campfire tale of Aliens in Roswell? Purely due to location, nothing more. That part of the tale is definitely hype, and such craziness I fear may hold back what may turn out to be a great discovery. This is where the ETH becomes damaging to progress. You Roswell junkies should just take a step back and see what the results herald. This may well be an important clue to other life. Possibly an actual answer that we have been seeking, not a fantasy of Aliens under the Presidents desk. It is a shame that nonsense has already infected this find.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#36    TheMcGuffin

TheMcGuffin

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,965 posts
  • Joined:05 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:43 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 14 July 2011 - 12:05 AM, said:

Have you read the thread title?

Why would you try to yet again engage me in pointless banter that we cannot agree on? Your credulous nature makes it impossible for me to so much as take you seriously anymore. We have discussed the reports at great length, until you read them there is no point in furthering this conversation as you just make no sense where they are concerned.

Now, the thread title is referring to the object found at Roswell, which has not been proven to be anything special as yet, some interesting characteristics have been suggested. Did this fragment get bent, and then return to original shape?  No, so why is it connected to the campfire tale of Aliens in Roswell? Purely due to location, nothing more. That part of the tale is definitely hype, and such craziness I fear may hold back what may turn out to be a great discovery. This is where the ETH becomes damaging to progress. You Roswell junkies should just take a step back and see what the results herald. This may well be an important clue to other life. Possibly an actual answer that we have been seeking, not a fantasy of Aliens under the Presidents desk. It is a shame that nonsense has already infected this find.


It could be several things: another hoax or fake (boring); debris from a plane crash (boring); debris from some other conventional object (very boring); debris from a spaceship (exciting); or maybe a meteorite of very unusual composition (slight chance).

Edited by TheMcGuffin, 14 July 2011 - 12:43 AM.

"The stuff that dreams are made of"

#37    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 30,404 posts
  • Joined:14 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

  • Keep Your Mach Up and Check Six

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:43 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 14 July 2011 - 12:05 AM, said:

Have you read the thread title?
Yes, and that is why I added the folks of WPAFB, because they came to the same conclusion as well, so their accounts are pertinent too.

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#38    psyche101

psyche101

    Conspiracy Realist

  • Member
  • 31,215 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oz

  • If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:21 AM

View PostTheMcGuffin, on 14 July 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

It could be several things: another hoax or fake (boring); debris from a plane crash (boring); debris from some other conventional object (very boring); debris from a spaceship (exciting); or maybe a meteorite of very unusual composition (slight chance).


Exactly! Well said. If it can be determined to have a technical function, the ball park may well change, but for now, this remains an interesting anomaly worthwhile of further consideration.

Edited by psyche101, 14 July 2011 - 01:24 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#39    psyche101

psyche101

    Conspiracy Realist

  • Member
  • 31,215 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oz

  • If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:23 AM

View Postskyeagle409, on 14 July 2011 - 12:43 AM, said:

Yes, and that is why I added the folks of WPAFB, because they came to the same conclusion as well, so their accounts are pertinent too.


Can you please post the conclusions that they came to with regards to this metallic artifact. That is what this thread pertains to.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#40    Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

    Dirt Eater

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Joined:11 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Above the left and right.

  • Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:53 AM

Ive recently seen first hand how some technologies most of us understand are simply way beyond others' comprehension. And I can also imagine rural 1940s America, and I can still imagine a silvery skinned weather balloon that went too high crashed in that field.


#41    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,409 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:01 AM

I always figured Roswell was a real UFO incident that the government tried to cover up.


#42    bison

bison

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Joined:13 Apr 2011

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:02 AM

I don't think there is too much chance of a meteorite, chondrite or otherwise, being mistaken for shreds of an aluminum alloy, which is what the sample under discussion has been analyzed to be.  Even the metallic asteroids are predominantly iron and nickel, not aluminum.


#43    Mr. Smith

Mr. Smith

    Dirt Eater

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • Joined:11 Oct 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Above the left and right.

  • Anger is a wind which blows out the lamp of the mind.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:22 AM

Ive recently seen first hand how some technologies most of us understand are simply way beyond others' comprehension.

So I can also imagine rural 1940s America, a silvery skinned weather balloon that went too high crashed in that field and to this day the same exact thing could happen in any rural area with 2010 technology and still get the same reaction those first people got all those years ago.


#44    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 17,446 posts
  • Joined:15 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Planet TEXAS

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:37 AM

Its got to be all the alum,tin foil that we make our hats out of ! How eles can one travel to the Stars ?I have mine on right this moment! :innocent:

This is a Work in Progress!

#45    psyche101

psyche101

    Conspiracy Realist

  • Member
  • 31,215 posts
  • Joined:30 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oz

  • If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:33 AM

View Postbison, on 14 July 2011 - 02:02 AM, said:

I don't think there is too much chance of a meteorite, chondrite or otherwise, being mistaken for shreds of an aluminum alloy, which is what the sample under discussion has been analyzed to be.  Even the metallic asteroids are predominantly iron and nickel, not aluminum.

How disappointing, I thought we were going to have a good conversation about the possibilities in deep space for a minute there.
If this is a different type of bollide, from a place where conditions differ to earth, I think it is quite possible that we have a good discovery, and considering that we know little of the processes that go on in different types of stars, I do feel it very premature to make such an assumption. For all we know this may be common fallout from a Magnetar maybe something like a coalesced collection of pre-solar grains. We did just find a star "shooting" water bullets into space. No doubt explains the formation of some comets. However, reading the article back again, my excitement is waning quickly. There is a specific agenda in the article that is designed to push the Roswell ETH, sadly I feel my initial suspicions were correct. From the link:


Quote

  • Furthermore, this debris was found near the location where pieces from an alleged flying saucer were discovered outside of Roswell in 1947.
  • So when he moved to Roswell, he decided to put his expertise to the test and take a shot at investigating the most famous UFO incident of all time, the crash at Roswell.
  • He says his main goal was to find some physical evidence. (well, he has achieved that!)
  • He was surprised to find an area that was similar to what witnesses had described
  • at looked aluminum. This was strange because there were no indications of any sort of aluminum objects in the area. He occasionally found tin, which would come from parts of tin roofs blowing around, and some nails. (I take it in Texas Soft drink and Beer never comes in cans?)
  • He also found some aluminum buttons that appear to be the type used on military fatigues in the later 40ís. If that is the case it demonstrates that the military was in the area.
  • To get some help he went to the Roswell International UFO Museum and Research Center.
  • He showed the material to the museumís director, Julie Shuster, and was able to meet with researcher Don Schmitt.
  • This further inspired Kimbler to get some isotope work done on the piece. (Because the material was normally used in construction, and not foil? What? How they hell did that discovery inspire a quest for Isotopes??)
  • Bigelow Aerospace showed some interest in helping Kimbler with his analysis, but after spending months with little results, Kimbler had to go elsewhere. (anyone else suddenly reminded of the Starchild Skull quest? Just keep trying Unis till you get the one that says what you want them to?)
  • Another important aspect of the material being aluminum and showing unearthly origins is that aluminum must be manufactured. (They can confidently say as an absolute, that this was manufactured can they?)
  • Could he have the smoking gun to prove we are being visited by an intelligent civilization from another planet, and that they crashed outside of Roswell in 1947?

There is more about the Roswell incident in this article than there is about the meteorite. If there is no agenda, I'm a Monkeys Uncle.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users