Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

should drugs be legalized?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: should drugs be legalized? (36 member(s) have cast votes)

should drugs be legalized?

1. no. (8 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. yes. only to help people get off drugs such as crack, heroin. (1 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

3. yes. just legalize everything and allow people to take what they want. (16 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

4. yes. only soft drugs such as cannabis (5 votes [13.89%])

Percentage of vote: 13.89%

5. yes. but have some sort of regulations put in place, legalize cannabis but don't legalize really hard drugs. (6 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:13 PM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 26 February 2013 - 10:41 PM, said:

Wouldnt that be the same a buying it from a drug dealer? Either way i agree with drugs being legal. I am a responcible adult and do not need to be told what i can and cannot do. The laws need to be changed so that any "crime" needs a "victim" and any act without a victim isn't a crime.

Dealers don't usually grow drugs, they get it from a supplier. So even the dealer doens't always know whats in it.

The supplier usually has a lab or in the case of marijuana grows it like a crop in anattic. This sort of marijuana gets laced etc either to make it more addictive or to add cheap material/ingrediants to make more money from it.

If you get it from someone who grows it for their own use, then it is usually 100% natural and good qaulity. If it was legal, you would get more poeple like this growing it and cut out drug dealers and suppliers. I didn't explian myself properly before though. In fact most people who wanted to take it would probably just grow a small amount themselves. Just like growing some herbs or vegetables.

Completely agree with your other comment about a crime needing a victim. :tu:

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#17    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,230 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

Just think of all the tax revenue, if they were taxed like cigarettes.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#18    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,893 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

Drugs are legalized.  Unless you're referring to some drugs.   The ones that aren't taxed, regulated, stamped with a corporate logo and handed out like candy by the establishment.   Should marijuana, the best medicine on the planet, be treated the same as a millon other toxic substances that don't occur anywhere in nature but in a laboratory?   Yeah.

Why is a flower that helps people sleep, that gives people an appetite, that kills neurological pain, that relieves blood pressure in the eye, that stops nausea in chemo patients, that holds the key to curing the most debilitating and chronic diseases known to man NATURALLY without side effects the drug that's illegal?   It's testament to how self-interested and nonchalant the medical industrial complex is.    I wish I could sugarcoat the truth but I won't.   I can't speak specifically for the UK and Europe, but across the pond, our "compassionate conservatives" want us to suffer.

Follow the path of Colorado and Washington, mother England.  Make us proud.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#19    shrooma

shrooma

Incorrigible Rogue.

• 3,199 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

not too sure about cannabis being a 'gateway' drug either.
my gran has a few sherrys at christmas, but it hasn't turned her into a meths drinker!
i'd been tripping for years before I had my first joint, and couldn't see what all the fuss was about.
sid viscious once said, 'weed's not drugs, heroin's drugs', and I think he had a point. I can drink a bottle of brandy in a couple of hours, and get far more mashed than I would smoking a couple of grammes of weed, so I can't understand why it's illegal?

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#20    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,850 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

people who take the bad drugs like ecstasy and class a drugs  are clearly depressed. leagalising them would kill them. Put them on a boat and sink it.

#21    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 27 February 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

people who take the bad drugs like ecstasy and class a drugs  are clearly depressed. leagalising them would kill them. Put them on a boat and sink it.

Ecstasy is a 'bad' drug? I wouldn't class it anywhere near heroic or crack. It's not even addictive and the only reason people die (which hardly ever happens) is because they are either allergic to it, they dehydrate through lack of water, or they flood their brain through too much water. For me, it's one of the better ones out there. And people do not take it because they're depressed, at least not exclusively (I guess it's the same as some people who smoke or drink or have sex or play computer games because they feel depressed, just like any activity, and a minority of people).

Cocaine in its powder form is much the same.

And how would legalising the drug then kill them? Ecstasy costs between £1 and £10, depending on the strength, your dealer, and how many you buy (less than 50p if you buy a lot). Almost anyone who takes them could take an unlimited amount any weekend they wanted while they are still illegal. Do you think that once they get legalised things will change? Why? You think this would even slightly affect the current lifestyle? Millions of people take them in Britain every weekend without worrying for even a second about getting caught with them. It doesn't even enter the mind, so it can't be that.

I'm guessing your opinion would seem strange to anyone who has actually taken ecstasy.

#22    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

If we legalise drugs and tax them, can I stop paying out so much freaking money from my wages and in every other kind of tax?? lol.

I can see some benefits, they would be more regulated.  Hopefully people buying weed from chemist (or wherever they get it from??) would not be having someone try and push a harder drug on them and there wouldn't be risk of anything extra added that could be dangerous.

Legalising them wouldn't encourage me to buy them, I don't take drugs, I don't smoke and drink alcohol about 3 times a year.  I'm guessing it would maybe encourage more people to try them as they would be easily available (I don't currently have any drug dealer contacts) but lots of teenagers would anyway.

Hmmm, not sure, I am undecided on this one.

#23    Moon Gazer

Moon Gazer

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

• Stonewylde.... follow me to Stonewylde....

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 27 February 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

Ecstasy is a 'bad' drug? I wouldn't class it anywhere near heroic or crack. It's not even addictive and the only reason people die (which hardly ever happens) is because they are either allergic to it, they dehydrate through lack of water, or they flood their brain through too much water. For me, it's one of the better ones out there. And people do not take it because they're depressed, at least not exclusively (I guess it's the same as some people who smoke or drink or have sex or play computer games because they feel depressed, just like any activity, and a minority of people).

Cocaine in its powder form is much the same.

And how would legalising the drug then kill them? Ecstasy costs between £1 and £10, depending on the strength, your dealer, and how many you buy (less than 50p if you buy a lot). Almost anyone who takes them could take an unlimited amount any weekend they wanted while they are still illegal. Do you think that once they get legalised things will change? Why? You think this would even slightly affect the current lifestyle? Millions of people take them in Britain every weekend without worrying for even a second about getting caught with them. It doesn't even enter the mind, so it can't be that.

I'm guessing your opinion would seem strange to anyone who has actually taken ecstasy.

I agree that ecstasy should not be put in to the same category as heroin and crack.

#24    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 27 February 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I agree that ecstasy should not be put in to the same category as heroin and crack.

Agreed MDMA is a far different type of drug a lot of research went into its making.Crack and heroin can be instantly addictive and completly ruin the body in a very short time span.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#25    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• 1,342 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 27 February 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

If we legalise drugs and tax them, can I stop paying out so much freaking money from my wages and in every other kind of tax?? lol.

I can see some benefits, they would be more regulated.  Hopefully people buying weed from chemist (or wherever they get it from??) would not be having someone try and push a harder drug on them and there wouldn't be risk of anything extra added that could be dangerous.

Legalising them wouldn't encourage me to buy them, I don't take drugs, I don't smoke and drink alcohol about 3 times a year.  I'm guessing it would maybe encourage more people to try them as they would be easily available (I don't currently have any drug dealer contacts) but lots of teenagers would anyway.

This is a tricky one,but currently being illegal stops very few who want to do them anyways and cost taxpayers unreal amounts of money to help fight a fake war they are helping to run so........Legalizing could work or it could backfire.

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#26    ali smack

ali smack

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

• If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

drugs are a thorny issue and I see both sides of the story. Clearly what is going on now isn't working.
I'm not sure what the answer is.

#27    shrooma

shrooma

Incorrigible Rogue.

• 3,199 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

I think it comes down to personal preference ali.
those who take drugs will always argue for their legalisation, whilst people that don't take them want to see them kept illegal, except for the small amount of open-minded non-users who aren't worried about other people who want to take them.

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#28    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Psychic Spy

• 1,877 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's history.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

They should be legalized. We should have the right to decide what we will or won't consume. The State should have no say in our personal decisions as long as they don't directly interfere with the rights of others. I doubt that drugs will be legalized in most countries. Both criminals and law enforcement make a mint from the eternal war on drugs. Legalizing drugs will destroy herds of cash cows for both groups. In fact, I would be shocked if all American states scrapped their *marijuana* laws. More people will be put in cages for smoking plants in their own homes.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#29    Yamato

Yamato

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,893 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

View PostMoon Gazer, on 27 February 2013 - 11:21 AM, said:

Not only would consumers avoid dangerous substances but they would be able to buy exactly what they wanted based on marketing and customer reviews.  The free market regulates itself by virtue of the free flow of information.  Want a mellow smoke to help you sleep?  Try this one.  Want something to keep you alert and focused?  Try this bud right here.   Are you naturally nervous or hyper already?   Best avoid this particular bud in this jar over here....and so on.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#30    Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher

Facebook Fiend

• 1,113 posts

• Your blood's worth bottling!

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Well I've voted yes to soft drugs such as cannabis.
If you can get past the smell it's actually a natural progression from cigarettes.
Tbh these facts about ecstasy are not exactly reassuring me despite the optimism.
What would let me sleep at night is if they legalise ecstasy with alcohol going the other way.
That's the only way this will work because booze dehydrates you seriously.
There's too many Leah Betts out there and I bet none of them had water or soft drinks.
So if this unlikely scenario did occur I still wouldn't touch ecstasy.
Heroin is a little bit sordid but tbh this methadone isn't working.
I've heard more stories of people not recovering than actually do.
I'm certain methadone isn't a placebo but it dosn't wean you off heroin as effectively as a nicotine patch does to a smoker.
It's just a stopgap measure for junkies who are going cold turkey.
I can't really comment on cocaine apart from the fact it eats your nose away.
However crystal meth should never be made legal in any shape or form.
It dosn't really matter if these junkies choose the manner of their passing away.

Swindon Town:  Division Two Champions 2011-12.
Proud member of Macdonald's Red Army since 1989.
Up the Robins!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users