Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Other side of gun ownership

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#31    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

Bad news seems to be more memorable for some people then good news.

Glad the family is alright. End of the day, this is the kind of news story I like to hear... well almost. The bad guy is supposed to be killed. Through a couple doors, yeah that guy is a piece of work. Hopefully he doesn't try to pull a lawsuit out of his rear.

#32    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Yes it is better than reading triple homicide headlines, but whats the score. Seriously, I wanna know justified against unjustified shootings .I'm an Aussie and don't have to worry about guns in the hands of any tom,dick or harry. I'm anti gun Oz but if I were American I'd be pro gun if justified shootings were winning.

#33    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,598 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

View Posts33ker, on 10 January 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Yes it is better than reading triple homicide headlines, but whats the score. Seriously, I wanna know justified against unjustified shootings

If it wasnt for the mother having gun it could have been 3 more unjustified deaths, whether shootings or not

#34    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

View Posts33ker, on 10 January 2013 - 09:01 AM, said:

Wow, a justified shooting ! is it the first for the new year? All you pro gunners  must be tickled pink , who's winning now. Justified shootings verses unjustified, score anyone?
How about you figure out how many unjustified shootings there have been. Then, figure out how many of those came from legally owned guns. The results will be minuscule. Criminals will always have them and if law abiding gun owners only count for .0009 percent of unjustified shootings them why should the other 99.0001 percent of decent people have their rights taken away?

Posted Image

#35    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

This shooting in self-defense can't really be compared to a shooting done in a cold blood. It's like if I'm sitting in my car and someone happens to ram themselves into it, or I drive right into them, which one am I gonna go to jail for? It's the intent that matters when it comes to gun use.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#36    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Attached File  tumblr_mg9xf6yXBv1qg3jn6o1_1280.jpg   203.08K   23 downloads

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#37    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,584 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

and how many of those legal NOTHINGS are used in crimes? They just look scary. The Connecticut shooter didn't even use one.

Posted Image

#38    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

Good that the mother was able to protect herself and her children. Doesn't mean the debate on law culture shouldn't continue though.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#39    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

http://www.clickorla...53/-/index.html

http://www.coloradoc....aspx?id=845007

http://chicago.cbslo...-on-south-side/

If people bothered to google "home invader shot" and get past all the ones about the OP there are lots from local news sources.

#40    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

View Posts33ker, on 10 January 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

Yes it is better than reading triple homicide headlines, but whats the score. Seriously, I wanna know justified against unjustified shootings .I'm an Aussie and don't have to worry about guns in the hands of any tom,dick or harry. I'm anti gun Oz but if I were American I'd be pro gun if justified shootings were winning.

All the numbers in the world would not matter to that woman trying to protect her children.

What cost would you put on their lives?

There is no winner here, just survivors.  This lady and her children will be scarred emotionally for a long time.  Better that than what could have happened to them.  And from reports, this fella didn't have any gun, just a crowbar.  Surely Tom Dick and Harry can get those in OZ.  Had this woman been unarmed, she wouldn't have stood a chance.

#41    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,450 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Actually, I'm all for gun control. Licensing gun owners, requirements on training, banning assault weapons, none of that bothers me. It's those who think no one (not even law abiding people) should be allowed to own guns that concern me. I recall seeing a bumper sticker that said: "Outlaw all guns and only outlaws will have guns", I tend to agree.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#42    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

View Postsupervike, on 10 January 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

All the numbers in the world would not matter to that woman trying to protect her children.

True, but of for every life that's saved because of an easily accessible gun, 3 are lost for that same reason, its an overall loss.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#43    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Yeah the whole "take all guns away" crowd is almost as crazy as the "the government is taking away our guns and putting us in camps" crowd. Guns in and of themselves are fine, the problem is how people view and treat them. My grandfather kept several guns in his house but he took special pains to hide them and his kids never knew where they were. A buddy of mine who has plenty of guns grew up learning to have special respect for them and takes great lengths to keep his guns safe and secure. It seems that too many gun owners in the US have a far too casually approach when it comes to guns and this causes problems.

Edited by Corp, 10 January 2013 - 05:39 PM.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#44    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

View PostStellar, on 10 January 2013 - 05:36 PM, said:

True, but of for every life that's saved because of an easily accessible gun, 3 are lost for that same reason, its an overall loss.

What lives are those lost though? Are you talking about accidents or those killed by thugs that get their guns on the black market? Or by the scum of the earth that are on parole who have no legal right to own a gun? If gangbangers had better aim, while shooting at each other, we wouldn't have to worry about housing them in prisons. Not to mentions the cost to the court system when they are arrested time and again and the hospitals/tax payers loss when they just wound each other. I don't consider them a loss.

#45    S.Tx.Rocker

S.Tx.Rocker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

All I can say is that trying to ban guns or certain types of gun is impossible. They are already out there. If someone really wants a gun, they'll find a way to get, legally or illegally. Don't really know if there is an answer to the problem, it's really a tough one. The current solutions that are trying to be imposed don't sound practical or realistic. In reality, the problem isn't the guns, it's the people that are using them, society also plays a big part on people's mentality, from parents to kids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users