Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do All People have Psychic Abilities?

the.truth.is.out.there.x

Many people believe that all humans have special abilities; in many religions there are people who can perform miracles, and some people claim to have developed abilities. According to scientists, there is a large portion of the human brain that is not in use. Could that section contain special abilities? Can some people tap into an energy that results in psychic powers, or a sixth sense?

• Like 3

Psychic powers increase with the gullibility of the audience.

• Like 5

I think so.

I think if people worked at it, they could have any ability..

But many don't believe in it, so then they can't do it.

Edited by Nighthawk9653
  • Like 3

According to scientists, there is a large portion of the human brain that is not in use. Could that section contain special abilities?

the.truth.is.out.there.x -

This is somewhat of a misconception. We use 100% of our brain, though at any one time we're only "actively" using about 10%.

If you're interested in another perspective on psychic ability, I recommend "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin deBecker. He explains how our subconscious minds can almost instantly size up a situation and provide insight.

For example, I had a situation that I might have attributed to psychic ability if it had occurred prior to my reading deBecker's book. One of my coworkers was married to a man whose company had a contract with the company I worked for. She had foot surgery and was recovering at home, when one day she stumbled and fell, striking her head on the cement edge of an ornamental pond in the yard. She died soon afterward. About two months later I ran into her husband. I was instantly filled with a sense of dread, and I thought, "Oh My God, he killed her." I was absolutely certain he had murdered his wife. Not long afterwards he was arrested, found guilty, and is serving a life sentence for murder.

Using the guidelines I'd learned from "The Gift of Fear", I went through my experience frame-by-frame. I recalled that in every conversation I'd had with the husband, I'd noticed his emotionless tone of voice and aloof demeanour; some people might call him "a cold fish". I'd talked to his wife about six months before she died, and she had mentioned how different their personalities were: he was a rugged, outdoors kind of guy (camping and mountain-biking), while she leaned toward a more "princess" kind of lfestyle. She was concerned about the two of them finding common ground in their marriage.

My brother-in-law had a thick beard, but after he fell in love and got married, he shaved his beard. He told me, "I used to hide behind that beard. I don't have to hide anymore". When I saw my cowworker's husband two months after his wife's death, he had grown a thick beard that covered half his face. His aloof demeanour had also changed: he now had a slight smirk about his mouth, and his eyelids were narrowed. He'd become arrogant.

All of those clues were added up in my subconscious, and a conclusion was reached before I even knew what was going on.

Having said that, there are two other incidents in my life that seem to have been actual psychic occurences that I have no explanation for. I'd be happy to share those two incidents if you're interested.

• Like 3

Many people believe that all humans have special abilities; in many religions there are people who can perform miracles, and some people claim to have developed abilities. According to scientists, there is a large portion of the human brain that is not in use. Could that section contain special abilities? Can some people tap into an energy that results in psychic powers, or a sixth sense?

Actually, we do use most of our brains, but not all at once! For example, when you drive a car your motor neurons and your sensory centres in your brain are currently more active in your brain; and when you sleep, some parts of the brain function more actively than others. Studies have shown that during seizures, during meditation, or due to the effect of drugs or any disorders, our brain can actually show signs of abnormally high activity than which is normal.

It could be possible that such occurrences might trigger special abilities in a person such as photographic memory, or super-reflexes, etc. I'm not so sure about psychic powers or a sixth sense though, but who knows, right? :)

• Like 1

Why would any human have these abilities? What biological purpose and function could it possibly serve that isn't already being met by normal senses?

It makes no sense for a human to have "psychic" abilities and in the end (if they existed) would actually be an impediment to real life.

If such things do exist then it is best to ignore them completely and focus on skills that serve the real world.

• Like 1

in many religions there are people who can perform miracles,

Can you elaborate on this please?

• Like 1

Listening to one's intuition a lot make people think their psychic. To be honest I'm not so sure I believe in psychic abilities. I think that since we became self-domesticated animals we don't listen to our instincts as much any more. Those gut feelings.

"Gut feelings" and instincts are often wrong.

It is better, always, to think with your brain, not your "gut".

While that is true, I find it better to listen to my gut and find out through reasoning if it's right.

While that is true, I find it better to listen to my gut and find out through reasoning if it's right.

What if you are in a fight, for example, and your gut tells you to whack the other guy with a porcupine in one hand and a mongoose in a g-string with the other? Hmmm?

Edited by Ryu

There is no hard evidence to suggest humans have such abilities,just a lot of anecdotes,charlatans and con men

• Like 3

I have psychotic abilities, stuff starts flying whenever I get into a rage. Including porcupines and mongooses in G-strings. LOL

• Like 2

There is no hard evidence to suggest humans have such abilities,just a lot of anecdotes,charlatans and con men

I disagree. If we look at what has been done in the field of parapsychology in the last few decades, there is some very interesting data that suggest psychic abilities (PK , RSPK, clairvoyance, precognition) may exist, to some extent. But unfortunately a lot of people choose to ignore this.

Edited by sam_comm

I disagree. If we look at what has been done in the field of parapsychology in the last few decades, there is some very interesting data that suggest psychic abilities (PK , RSPK, clairvoyance, precognition) may exist, to some extent. But unfortunately a lot of people choose to ignore this.

It is hard to do real research when all you have to go on is anecdotes or the say-so of others.

Sure, "research" has been conducted but so far it has yielded nothing that could come close to being called "conclusive".

• Like 1

I'd say that all people can have precognition abilities, however not all the times. Only during special events, usually for a very small period of time and usually not for something significant. I've met a person who's really a psychic and she's able to see the future of people which is very scary for me. I wouldn't try this too much, though, since it can really skew the perception of reality to the point of no return. I think it's possible to practice the precognition ability.

• Like 1

It is hard to do real research when all you have to go on is anecdotes or the say-so of others.

And what about putting these abilities to the test? That's exactly what parapsychologists do in their labs. Never heard about the Gandzfeld experiment, the Random Number Generator (RNG) or Direct Mental Interactions With Living Systems (DMILS) experiments for exemple?

Sure, "research" has been conducted but so far it has yielded nothing that could come close to being called "conclusive".

You're right, psychical research is far from conclusive, no one in this field will deny that. Still, experiments in parapsychology have yielded very interesting results and what's intriguing about this is that these data can be reproduced independently and consistently. But then again research on these subject is regarded with full of contempt and prejudice in the scientific community. Some believe such thing should not even be researched! So you're kind of left with marginal but very competent scientists working in small departments these days, yet parapsychology remains a legitimate field, part of the AAAS.

So when someone suggest that there is '' just a lot of anecdotes,charlatans and con men'' I beg to differ.

Edited by sam_comm

I believe so but mostly it is a latent, untapped or discarded ability.

I see it as tuning into any given radio station (Vibration). You can tune in or out of, depending on your alignment… What you allow or not.

• Like 2

According to scientists, there is a large portion of the human brain that is not in use.

Completely untrue.

• Like 3

Could you point me in the direction of some of this research? Its hard to find amongst all the complete and utter guff.

• Like 1

And yet AGAIN I would ask sam-comm to post the best example. NOT metastatistics, or handwaving about Ganzfeld (note spelling...) tests and the like - just the best actual example of some peer-reviewed PROOF...

Here and here are examples of why Ganzfeld experiments (as an example) are useless as formal scientific tests... so why not post one that shows a proper scientific test - ie ones that (f'rinstance):

- use OBJECTIVE not SUBJECTIVE analysis of results

- have PROPER controls, (eg double blind, null hypothesis, falsifiability, etc)

Why is showing a decent peer-reviewed experiment that shows an unquestionable effect, such a hard thing to do?

I'll tell you why - such tests ALWAYS show no statistical effects whatsoever. It's only the highly questionable, usually over-complicated ones done by fringe 'researchers' like Radin, Sheldrake and Utts, which are the ones where serious flaws and 'cheating' can creep in either knowingly or unknowingly, and that rely on the flawed experiment designs, subjectivity and poor controls to skew the results.

And IF those who support this stuff were brave enough to post a peer-reviewed study where they believe a significant effect was proven and that was completely subjective and properly undertaken, I'll be very happy to change my mind ... if it stands up.

I don't IGNORE them - I vigorously dispute the ones I've seen (as I dispute any BAD science) and await a decent one. Anyone wish to post a good one?

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

Could you point me in the direction of some of this research? Its hard to find amongst all the complete and utter guff.

Here are some of the best Nonlocal mind evidence (peer-reviewed cumulative), according to Dr Emmaunele Tressoldi, Università di Padova, Italia:

http://www.psy.unipd...etical-evidence

Very interesting stuff. :)

Edited by sam_comm