Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Termites explode to defend colonies

Saru

Termites in the rainforests of French Guiana literally blow themselves up to help defend their peers.

A species of termite found in the rainforests of French Guiana takes altruism seriously: aged workers grow sacks of toxic blue liquid that they explode onto their enemies in an act of suicidal self-sacrifice to help their colonies.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Cool!

As long as they are not called terrorist termites though. That term is so loosely used nowadays...

Lmao

Seriously though cool find. Off to read the entire article now. Thank you for posting this...

no termite jihads either...LOL too low brow? Awe well maybe its a bit late for me...

• Like 1

Cue terrorist jokes.......

*clears throat*

So termites are like smurf suicide bombers ,and the bad bugs are like gargamel ?

Nahhh,this just doesn't lend well to terrorist jokes.

• Like 1

If only the French politicians did the same thing

why stop with just the French?

• Like 2

They got dibs they are French termites :P

oh! busting me not reading the article!!

• Like 1

lol and if this were the same with humans...it would be a utopia! all the worthless and aging people blow up and leave only the productive people alive. wait a min...i happen to be in the worthless catergory...NEVERMIND I GUESS!!

lol and if this were the same with humans...it would be a utopia! all the worthless and aging people blow up and leave only the productive people alive. wait a min...i happen to be in the worthless catergory...NEVERMIND I GUESS!!

Another big difference between human and termites would be young human are generally uselless and old ones more productives :whistle: :whistle:

so how do they know they have this blue liquid inside them, and how do they know it's poisonous. Especially the first time this liquid appeared in one member of the species at one time during their evolution - how did that member know what to do with it? Before they figured this out, didn't the liquid kill the ants themselves first? Was this seen in advance as an evolutionary advantage before it was proven as such so it wouldn't be dropped?

this is pretty awesome tho I had to say for some reason I expected like a little bomber lol and not showering the enemy in excrement but I guess to each his own right? lol

• 2 weeks later...

man i was hopong for a video all i ever get on this topic is a animation of what it would look like >.>