Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Walmart Nervous as Black Friday Strike Nears

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,716 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

so what is better walmart like it is, or no walmart at all?

RESIDENT TROLL.

#17    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,793 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

No Walmart at all.   I liked things the way they were before giant chain stores.   Every town and city had businesses  owned and run by locals... who employed Locals.   A lot of the goods were even produced Locally.    It all made more sense , and was more efficient  than shipping and trucking 'imports'  every which way.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#18    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,989 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 22 November 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:

My bad, I just noticed the 3B profit was for one quarter. So multiply everything I said by 4 andyou have a top pay raiseof $3.20 an hour which is significant but remember that also means absolutely no profit for for walmart. So in all likelyhood they may be able to muster an extra $1hr per employee but nowhere close to $13 plus union involvement.

how is that 3B in PROFIT trickling down to the average worker? It's not. The 1 percent are getting richer, their workers qualify for food stamps.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#19    Gromdor

Gromdor

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

The thing that annoys me about Walmart is the fact that for them to get a profit, I have to pay welfare and food stamps for their employees.

#20    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,585 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:21 AM

i work at wal-mart i havent noticed any union stuff at all. it is probably because im not in a huge city. But honestly we dont need any sort of union i get paid more then my freinds who work at krogers. And krogers is union

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#21    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,391 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostEllJay, on 22 November 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

This might be interesting for you all to watch.

Ok, without watching it I get the gist and the gripe but we, or at least I am talking about Walmart and their employees. I'd like to live in simpler times too but it is what it is.

View PostPurifier, on 22 November 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

Alright, let me see if I got this right. It's a case of: You take what the devil has to offer, it's not his fault that you're stuck between a rock and a hard place and haven't been able to get out yet. You were born in that predicament, even though he sees what your going through. He's only taking advantage of the situation your in and knows you have no other place to go for the time being. So either you hope for the best and take his offer, and pray it doesn't get any worse for you or that a miracle (maybe a better job offer from another company out of the blue) pulls you out of your entire miserable experience. Otherwise, you're on your own and good luck!

Well...can't argue with that, I guess.

I can argue that the devil seeks out his victims. Walmarts "victims" come to them and it's hardly a case of dealing with the devil. When someone interviews for a part timejob at Walmart they aren't being fed a lot of false hopes. It's more like they offer you a position with a certain amount of on average hours and this is what we can pay you. None of it sounds too good to be true as the way the devil would strike his deal.

View Postjugoso, on 22 November 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

It certainly is a great story and obviously can´t be expected from everyone but that guy gets my utmost respect for the care and consideration he had for his employees. There must be a happy-medium in there somewhere,no?

Well in my search it appears it wasn´t done out of kindness of heart but rather to save money.

“Walmart anticipates that the program will help reduce its costs as it receives bundled pricing from the healthcare organizations, but it cannot project the amount it might save,” Reuters said, adding that the company believes that it currently covers “about 60 percent of total cost of healthcare for employees on its healthcare plans, including out-of-pocket and premium expenses.

http://www.redorbit....surgery-101312/

They have made some other changes in their health-care policies also:

Walmart is increasing employee health insurance premiums and no longer offering the coverage for new part-timers because of rising costs.
Walmart informed employees last week that it is eliminating healthcare for future part-time employees who work less than 24 hours a week, the New York Times reported.
The nation’s largest private employer with 1.4 million workers, most of whom are full-time,  made the changes as part of its open-enrollment period for next year’s coverage. Walmart does not disclose the percentage of full-time employees.
The company is continuing coverage for current part-timers, who previously didn’t have a minimum number of hours they had to work but were eligible after one year of employment.
http://abcnews.go.co...-care-benefits/

That guy gets all my respect too.
So what if the surgues are about saving a few bucks too? It's not like there isn't anything positive for employees under their coverage. It's free freaking heart transplants! As for future employees well first they don't have to work there and second I can see the reasoning behind insuring new low hour workers. They probably can't put forth enough production to afford the extra costs but if full time employees and all current employees are covered thats great and if the majority of workers are full time as your link suggests then it stands to reason that many new employees will be covered too since many will be full time and many more may get more than 24 hours.

View Postlightly, on 22 November 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

No Walmart at all.   I liked things the way they were before giant chain stores.   Every town and city had businesses  owned and run by locals... who employed Locals.   A lot of the goods were even produced Locally. It all made more sense , and was more efficient  than shipping and trucking 'imports'  every which way.

I can definately dig that. Unfortunately the market demands walmart and not the businesses of yesteryear.

View Postninjadude, on 23 November 2012 - 12:52 AM, said:

how is that 3B in PROFIT trickling down to the average worker? It's not. The 1 percent are getting richer, their workers qualify for food stamps.
First, I never said it trickles down. What it does is keep the company going.
If you follow my math at all you would understand that every walmart employee could receive an extra $3.20hr at most IF walmart took ZERO profits. If they took half profits they could pay an extra $1.60hr. But let's be realistic. Those profits don't all get pocketed. They are needed for working capital and you know what? I had a whole bunch of other thoughts and reasonings but the turkey's getting the best of me. I'm real real tired. To put it simply, any realistic raises across the employee spectrum won't anount to too much more and you'll still be complaing about fairness. And to be more realistic, $13hr minimum plus whatever other acinine expenditures union involvement would cost just can not happen. If it did,then walmart couldn't provide items at the costs they do. In fact, I couldn't see any less than double if they were to still make profits. Then the demand would decline resulting in less new stores first and less presently operating stores later which means many many less jobs and at this point I hope you catch my drift. All this nonsense WILL affect the employees. A job is better than no job. Geezus, I have so much more to say but I must sleep. Ninja, quit hating rich people 'just becasue'. Do some research, then some math and try and understand how a business works. From everything I can come up with, if Walmart is to sustain, then $8.81hr on average is the only way for walmart to do business the way they do it providing low costs to consumers and nearly 2M jobs including Sams Club.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 23 November 2012 - 06:27 AM.

Posted Image

#22    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,391 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:25 AM

View Postspartan max2, on 23 November 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

i work at wal-mart i havent noticed any union stuff at all. it is probably because im not in a huge city. But honestly we dont need any sort of union i get paid more then my freinds who work at krogers. And krogers is union
Besides, how can anyone argue with this guy? A Walmart employee. Thank you Spartan and goodnight!

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 23 November 2012 - 06:25 AM.

Posted Image

#23    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,716 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

View Postlightly, on 22 November 2012 - 10:25 PM, said:

No Walmart at all.

and 1+million employes will be getting welfare\unemploymnet, instead of getting paid, and pay taxes.

just brilliant, lol.

Edited by aztek, 23 November 2012 - 12:31 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#24    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,793 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

View Postaztek, on 23 November 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

and 1+million employes will be getting welfare\unemploymnet, instead of getting paid, and pay taxes.

just brilliant, lol.

I'm  saying it would be better if chain stores never came into existence in the first place..... Problem averted. And yes  , i am brilliant :)

* [spelled existence wrong]     " lol  "

Edited by lightly, 23 November 2012 - 01:29 PM.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#25    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,582 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 23 November 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

Besides, how can anyone argue with this guy? A Walmart employee. Thank you Spartan and goodnight!
Yes, you are correct. You never want to argue with a Walmart employee.

View Postaztek, on 23 November 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

just brilliant, lol.

Yes. you are correct. If Walmart wasn´t around there wouldn´t be other stores for these people to work at nor other stores for people to shop at.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

#26    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,627 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:51 PM

View Postjugoso, on 23 November 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

Yes. you are correct. If Walmart wasn´t around there wouldn´t be other stores for these people to work at nor other stores for people to shop at.
jugoso you are oversimplifying this issue.  Did it ever occur to you that the very reason Walmart became the monster corp it is - is due to it providing what most people want?  How can you argue with that?  I understand the desire to "spread the wealth" but that's like stomping your feet and holding your breath about the lack of world peace.  Human nature will have it's say in all things.  Perhaps the business model of wally world is greed codified, so?  It's just the way the world is and if you want to try and change it then you have my applause but not my faith.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#27    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

Poltergeist

• 2,743 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 22 November 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

It's not Walmarts fault these people haven't made the best life decisions. And to be technical, Walmart doesn't "have" anyone on assistance. Anyone applying to Walmart isn't looking for a career. They pay above minimum wage on average and offer more and pay more than many other similar public service jobs.
And without those low wages there wouldn't be low prices. As a consumer it makes sense.

I wouldn't say all these people have made poor life decisions, that's quite a broad statement you've made.

As for what you were saying before about reaping the benefits. I don't think CEOs and such need to make millions each month, it's not necessary. There's people out there really struggling to make ends meet due to lack of cash where these people are just throwing another million onto a stack that they will never end up spending.

I mean, there's people dieing out there simply because they don't have enough money and we've got people with more than they could possibly need swimming in it.

There's something wrong with this picture.

#28    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,391 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

I sense sarcasm. Considering Spartan is who you're out to defend that's kind of rude. I think you're mad cause he works there and doesn't agree with you.

Well considering how difficult it is to set up a business and succeed these days there may not be so many. That assumes Walmart disappears. Had it never existed then of course there'd be more stores. But that's not the reality. After everything else I've put in here and that's all you have to say would you agree with me that there isn't much room for raises across the board or room for union involvement if Walmart is to continue functioning as it does? If you don't then there'd be no Walmart or Sams club and 2M people hitting the unemployement lines.

Posted Image

#29    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,391 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 23 November 2012 - 02:38 PM, said:

I wouldn't say all these people have made poor life decisions, that's quite a broad statement you've made.

As for what you were saying before about reaping the benefits. I don't think CEOs and such need to make millions each month, it's not necessary. There's people out there really struggling to make ends meet due to lack of cash where these people are just throwing another million onto a stack that they will never end up spending.

I mean, there's people dieing out there simply because they don't have enough money and we've got people with more than they could possibly need swimming in it.

There's something wrong with this picture.
I didn't mean to say that working at walmart is a poor life decision but whomever I was talking to was implying that it's Walmarts fault if these people are down on their luck and i disagree. Walmart is not the mafia. They don't come to make you an offer or break your knees if you decline. you go to them. If they say they'll hire you it is you who says OK.

Well thats how it is though and you don't have to like it. And if Walmart CEO had press conference and announced to the world that he was giving away 10M dollars spread across evenly to all employees that would be a whopping $5 per employee and then everyone would call him a cheap b****** and if he gave 10M dollars to one employee then he would be labeled something else ignorant for only helping out one guy and that one guy would now be rich and did nothing for it and that's what you all hate about spoiled rich guys anyway.

Did you even read any of the posts I made with math figures? Anyhow, it all makes sense. Go look and you'll see that to keep 2M people employed that there isn't anything wrong with the picture and in fact is absolutely right or else Walmart tanks.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-, 23 November 2012 - 02:57 PM.

Posted Image

#30    jugoso

jugoso

One Love

• 1,582 posts

• "Freedom is free of the need to feel free. Free your mind and you ass will follow. The kingdom of heaven is within"
    G.Clinton

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

View Postand then, on 23 November 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

jugoso you are oversimplifying this issue.  Did it ever occur to you that the very reason Walmart became the monster corp it is - is due to it providing what most people want?  How can you argue with that?  I understand the desire to "spread the wealth" but that's like stomping your feet and holding your breath about the lack of world peace.  Human nature will have it's say in all things.  Perhaps the business model of wally world is greed codified, so?  It's just the way the world is and if you want to try and change it then you have my applause but not my faith.

yes I am oversimplifying the issue. My response was to a hypothetical question asked by aztec. Most people want cheap. Cheaper products sometimes come at a higher social cost.

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 23 November 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

I sense sarcasm. Considering Spartan is who you're out to defend that's kind of rude. I think you're mad cause he works there and doesn't agree with you.

I was being sarcastic but it more toward your comment: "Besides, how can anyone argue with this guy? A Walmart employee. I´m sure there are many different opinions amongst walmart workers. I certainly never implied he hasn´t made the best life decisions as you did.  

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 23 November 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Well considering how difficult it is to set up a business and succeed these days there may not be so many. That assumes Walmart disappears. Had it never existed then of course there'd be more stores. But that's not the reality. After everything else I've put in here and that's all you have to say would you agree with me that there isn't much room for raises across the board or room for union involvement if Walmart is to continue functioning as it does? If you don't then there'd be no Walmart or Sams club and 2M people hitting the unemployment lines.

Again, we were discussing a hypothetical question. And no I don´t agree with you that  Walmart cannot afford raises across the board for their employees but I do agree that union involvement isn´t necessary for them to do so. They can do what the want without union involvement. They don´t have to hire only part-time employees to avoid paying health-care costs. They choose to do so to reap bigger profits. Somebody has to pay for it in the end
As gromdor so succinctly put it:  The thing that annoys me about Walmart is the fact that for them to get a profit, I have to pay welfare and food stamps for their employees.

"Freedom is free of the need to feel free.
Free your mind and you ass will follow.
The kingdom of heaven is within"
G.Clinton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users