Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moon colonies

UM-Bot

William B Stoecker: Having written about colonies in space (huge manned space stations in Earth or solar orbit, with spin-induced gravitation and farms, with plants supplying food and oxygen) and colonies floating on the sea, I think it is now time to consider the viability of colonies on Earth’s Moon. It will be difficult and prohibitively expensive to develop and support such colonies using conventional rocket technology to convey colonists and building materials to our Moon, so we will probably have to wait for more advanced propulsion systems.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

The best type of luner base would be buried. That would protect from radiation and heat. It may also protect from most meoter strike, depending on how deep you buried it.

As for two weeks no light, just use sunlamps.

• Like 1

The best type of luner base would be buried. That would protect from radiation and heat. It may also protect from most meoter strike, depending on how deep you buried it.

As for two weeks no light, just use sunlamps.

Gotta agree with ya on that one, Daniel. When I first saw those underground bases in the Mass Effect game, it made total sense to me. I was thinking that was a damn good idea, much better than a surface colony base, at the time I was playing it. Another reason is double protection from flying space debris, even though they may make the walls thick on a surface type base. Still, just gives one peace of mind if it was underground, I think.

• Like 1

Dammit right up until the last paragraph it seemed a reasonable and well thought out column, then you just had to chuck in structures that are already on the moon and aliens possibly still living there.