Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we cry tears of joy?

Still Waters

It may seem like a strange response: to break down in tears when you are happy.

But now a group of psychologists say they have found the reason why, and that crying tears of joy may well be the body's way of restoring "emotional equilibrium".

The psychologists say that, by responding to an overwhelmingly positive emotion with a negative one, people are able to recover better from strong emotions.

http://www.telegraph...ars-of-joy.html

• Like 1

That's very interesting Still Waters ... Emotions do get all jumbled up sometimes when intensified. We've all laughed till we cried... I've cried and then suddenly laughed at times of emotional distress. People are often doing both, off and on, at deaths and funerals and weddings and births , pretty much any experience which is intensely emotional? People often smile when they cry.. when then feel some small measure of comfort or release from the "pain"?

*crying must change our chemistry somewhat ? ... ever notice feeling a little "better" somehow after a cry?

*ever notice feeling a little big angry or hostile upon the completion of a difficult accomplishment?

I do.. i often feel like.. There ! take that then! it was hard but I Did it anyway! lol

Edited by lightly
  • Like 4

I've cried tears of happiness ... thinking about someone that loves me or that i love . I don't really understand it i guess .. but it happens.

there is an 'indian' legend in the southwest about the people celebrating the return of the rains after a long drought by dancing and crying for joy..

their tears of joy mixing with the rain and going into the Earth to form Turquoise .

• Like 2

So that explains why tears come out of my eyes when I laugh too hard!

Crying actually excretes a certain stress hormone... I think cortisol, not sure.

This particular hormonal decrease is not available by any other human mechanism excepting, well, you know, sex.

Vitamin C has clinically shown to reduce blood levels of the cortisol stress hormone at a daily high dosage.

EDIT: Talk with your doctor FIRST before doing any Vit. C cortisol reduction self therapy.

Edited by pallidin

Uh, how do I say this...

Wife, partner or self-pleasure will significantly reduce stress hormonal activity in a male, as it is actually expelled with the "event"

I do not know how this works for women.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

That explains why my lovely wife gets so angry when I surprise her with great news! Example: Honey, I spent part of our 401K on a doomsday bunker, our family will survive the apocalypse! YES! Or That Amazing Cookware Christmas gift…..I know …I know! Tears of Joy! LOL, Just Kidding.

It may seem like a strange response: to break down in tears when you are happy.

But now a group of psychologists say they have found the reason why, and that crying tears of joy may well be the body's way of restoring "emotional equilibrium".

The psychologists say that, by responding to an overwhelmingly positive emotion with a negative one, people are able to recover better from strong emotions.

http://www.telegraph...ars-of-joy.html

Anymore in my life, tears of joy are the only tears I shed, and it is a beautiful experience.

I don't believe I've cried from happiness. Fear and sadness on the other hand...

why do people pi55 there pants when they laugh?

glad you asked alfonso

http://medical-dicti...g in ones pants

• Stress incontinence. Stress incontinence occurs when an individual involuntarily loses urine after pressure is placed on the abdomen (i.e., during exercise, sexual activity, sneezing, coughing, laughing,or hugging)

...similarly, said pressure on the abdomen can also result in a sudden unexpected and often unwelcome expulsion of air. Which at times results in people laughing till they cry, and pee their pants. If it ever spreads uncontrolled, a global pandemic isn't out of the question.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 3

I've never cried tears of joy.

Me either, I don't seem to cry anymore at all, I didn't even cry when I found out that my ex girlfriend had schizophrenia and had been admitted to a psychiatric hospital. Now me and her were extremely close and still talk.

But other than that the last time I cried was when I was feeling extreme pain, and I was just a little one

When my husband is angry or has jealousy with me I smile/laugh even though I feel "in trouble" and upset.. Makes no sense. Then he thinks I'm a liar because I smiled when I should have been upset.. And then when there is good news, I have delayed emotion. Like I refuse to believe something good is happening. My body must be all outta whack

30yrs ago after I divorced my second wife after driving her insane I cried tears of joy but not since because after that I swore I wouldn't do that again and 5 billion women cried for joy(although not for the same reasons) :innocent: :whistle:

jmccr8

Uh, how do I say this...

Wife, partner or self-pleasure will significantly reduce stress hormonal activity in a male, as it is actually expelled with the "event"

I do not know how this works for women.

I do.

• Like 1

I don't believe I've cried from happiness. Fear and sadness on the other hand...

sorry to hear that 13.....

For me I do cry tears of joy but it seems to be from a huge amount of emotionalism from whatever is taking place. Such as the tears of joy when I first saw my babies.

Edited by Nyx83
  • Like 1