Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Missing Iowa Girls

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#46    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the info Regi. :)

I wonder what kind of evidence they have ( or believe they have ) to reach this conclusion. Hopefully they are right.

FBI spokewoman Sandy Breault said that not all family members are and close friends are fully cooperating. That's strange.

#47    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

Not sure what to make of the recent reports.  Dan Morrisey, Lyrics father, apparently stormed out of a interview with police.   That could mean anything, really.

But another very under reported fact is that the father was scheduled to plead guilty to some drug charges on July 12, the day before the girls went missing.  Apparently, he was not ready to enter a plea, so they got some sort of extension.   He obviously wasn't ready to serve time for his crime.

Our Deputy Sheriff has said repeatedly that the parents are not suspects.

There seems to be several mixed messages coming from law enforcement.  However, I still trust they are doing the right thing, and I still hope for the best possible outcome.

A very sad part of this is how, after the lake was finally removed as a possiblity, that the media (and even our community) has sort of turned the page on this.  I know there is very little to go on, and now with the horrific Colorado shootings, this story has disappeared from front page.   That just leaves a feeling of hopelessness.

#48    Chris Baker

Chris Baker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

I hope the police are doing an honest job of this investigation. Unlike the Jonbenet Ramsey case, where they just tried to screw the parents.

#49    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,381 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 22 July 2012 - 06:10 PM, said:

Thanks for the info Regi. :)

I wonder what kind of evidence they have ( or believe they have ) to reach this conclusion. Hopefully they are right.

FBI spokewoman Sandy Breault said that not all family members are and close friends are fully cooperating. That's strange.

Great question, Jon.
I really don't know what evidence could lead to such a statement.
At the same time, they say they're expanding efforts to out of state, so it sounds like that move could have been prompted by the same evidence.

Yeah, it's a problem if any one person in the family isn't cooperating. I don't know what to make of it because drugs are involved, and of course, users don't think clearly, but also, they associate with shady characters.
I know the one father said he was out-right accused, so authorities might very well have alienated him, but as far as him being a suspect, according to the aunt, he was no where near where the events could have occurred, and had no means of getting there.
Regardless, the family's cooperation is necessary because everyone the family is known to associate with, or has been known to associate with, must be looked at.
It sounds like that's what they've done, and that's what could have led to the info. we now have.
Info also could have come from the computers/phones that were confiscated.

#50    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,381 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

View Postsupervike, on 23 July 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Not sure what to make of the recent reports.  Dan Morrisey, Lyrics father, apparently stormed out of a interview with police.   That could mean anything, really.

Our Deputy Sheriff has said repeatedly that the parents are not suspects.

There seems to be several mixed messages coming from law enforcement.

Do you know when that occurred...that the father stormed out?
It appears that authorities were at a loss until sometime Friday when the new evidence came about, which just happened to coincide with the completion of the lake search.

#51    Aaronsmom

Aaronsmom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:02 PM

I heard reports too that officials think the missing girls are still alive. I don't know what could make them think that, unless they are kidnapped and there's been a ransom demand. But if that was the case, I seriously doubt that could be kept secret. I don't know if it's wishful thinking, or some sort of tactical strategy on the part of LE. It's not the first time I've heard of this in a missing person's case. An example is the disappearance of Dru Sjodin from a shopping mall parking lot in North Dakota several years ago. After she was missing a week or two, local LE said in a press conference they believed she was alive, but they never said why. People following the case were very skeptical. There was overwhelming evidence the young woman was abducted, and the obvious suspect was a sexual predator. It sure looked grim for her. After spring thaw, the body was found.

As for the stepfather, Morrissey, I wouldn't take anything reported about him seriously at this point. LE will always focus on immediate family (especially parents) at the start. A common strategy to shake out a confession is to come on very strong and tell the one being interrogated they know he or she is guilty. They figure if the person is scared enough, it may be enough to break him/her. This goes triple for a parent w/ a criminal history or discovered drug use. This doesn't mean anything, but it's something the media and public typically seize upon as significant. A very close parallel is the homicide of two little girls in Zion, Ill. in 2005. The girls went bike riding and didn't come back, just like the cousins in Iowa. They were missing a day, then found in a nearby park, dead, savagely beaten. Suspicion fell immediately on the father of one of the girls (I think his name was Jerry Hogan). He had an incarceration record, and had been released just months earlier. He also had a record of violent rage, and LE said he was angry w/ his daughter shortly before the girls disappeared. It sounded like a no-brainer. What the public didn't know was the prosecution repressed key evidence, such as both girls were sexually assaulted and a neighbor had a cousin visiting that day who was a sex offender. Hogan was found guilty and sentenced to death. A defense team fought for a court order to do a DNA test on the semen found on the girls and run a match on criminals in the data base. Listen to this: the prosecutors fought the petition, saying the semen may have gotten on the girls after coming in contact w/ a tree in the park where a man may have m********ed! Can you imagine? Anyway, the petition was granted and the DNA was not a match w/ Hogan. It was a match, however, w/ a sex offender who was visiting a cousin who lived on the block where the girls lived, and was there the same day the children disappeared. It came out the police knew this but suppressed the evidence because they had closed in on the father and were set on pinning him. Hogan was eventually exonerated and released after spending five years on death row. He left the state and changed his name, a shattered, broken man. The lesson I take from this is, don't jump to conclusions.

#52    devilmaycare

devilmaycare

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

I am sorry for the parents but considering how badly they are (or were) invloved with meth It all adds up in terrible ways. I think they were abducted for sure. The parents state that the girls knew better and had never went on a long bike ride such as down to the lake. Unfortunately believing they are alive imo is a fantasy and why the dolt police would say such a thing is a clueless statement unless they were literally trafficed and there is a trafficing ring in the area we are not being told about. The lesson I take from this is don't let grandma nor meth watch the kids.

If you have nothing you would die for, then you also have nothing to live for.

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that." G. H. Hardy

#53    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

View Postregi, on 23 July 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

Do you know when that occurred...that the father stormed out?
It appears that authorities were at a loss until sometime Friday when the new evidence came about, which just happened to coincide with the completion of the lake search.

That was either Wed. or Thurs. of last week

#54    Chris Baker

Chris Baker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:29 AM

What's this about the news reports of a potential witness who was boating on the lake?

#55    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

View PostChris Baker, on 24 July 2012 - 09:29 AM, said:

What's this about the news reports of a potential witness who was boating on the lake?

FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said Monday that investigators want to interview a person who was paddleboating on the lake around the time the girls disappeared. She said that person, who has not voluntarily come forward, could help investigators learn what happened to the girls but was not considered a suspect.

Full article: http://usnews.msnbc....-polygraph?lite

Apparently evidence that the two girls are still alive was sent to the crime lab. So seems like they really have evidence to back up their theory that the girls are alive. That's great.

#56    regi

regi

Poltergeist

• 2,381 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

View PostJonathanVonErich, on 24 July 2012 - 01:26 PM, said:

FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault said Monday that investigators want to interview a person who was paddleboating on the lake around the time the girls disappeared. She said that person, who has not voluntarily come forward, could help investigators learn what happened to the girls but was not considered a suspect.

Full article: http://usnews.msnbc....-polygraph?lite

Apparently evidence that the two girls are still alive was sent to the crime lab. So seems like they really have evidence to back up their theory that the girls are alive. That's great.

That part in the article about the meeting over donuts...that's just too funny.

Anyway, I'm completely intrigued with what the evidence sent to the crime lab could possibly be....and how such evidence could support their conclusion.

Re: if the report is accurate about a person in a paddleboat, I'd find it strange if no one came forward.

Edited by regi, 24 July 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#57    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

Still no update. That's bothering me. They disappeared 9 days ago. That's an awful lot of time.

Hopefully we'll get an update very soon. And a positive one.

#58    Chris Baker

Chris Baker

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

Just read the girls have been caught on CCTV on their way to the lake,

not likely to be much use though, they know the girls made it to the lake as the bikes were found there

#59    Aaronsmom

Aaronsmom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

Correct Chris. The surveillance tape shows two figures on bicycles passing in front of the camera around the time the witness reporting the girls were last seen going for a bike ride said it was. Is that the grandma? The significance of this is only that, if the images do prove to be the girls, it would corroborate the witness' report. This would be good for the family in that it would significantly reduce the theory that a family member/s had something to do with the disappearance. The police could then focus more on a stranger abduction. The film does nothing to suggest the girls are alive NOW, as the time on the film is well before the girls were reported missing. I heard an interview on HLN w/ the aunt of one of the girl's that confirms NO ONE has any knowledge that the girls are alive or dead, including the police.

#60    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

Still no update ?? Sorry but I'm worried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users