Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

pit bulls tear into dogs, girl

glorybebe

A family is devastated after a pack of three pit bulls “ripped” apart one dog, severely injured another and sent one of their children to hospital.

Scott McDowell said his 13-year-old daughter and 14-year-old son were walking their dogs, a Pomeranian named Patrick and a Great Pyrenees named Max, in an off-leash dog park near Millican-Ogden outdoor swimming pool in southeast Calgary.

On Monday afternoon, they came across three pit bulls that were on leashes being handled by one man.

McDowell’s dogs approached the pit bulls when they were attacked.

“They (the pit bulls) went nuts,” McDowell said.

The owner of the pit bulls tried to get the dogs away, but couldn’t control all three, McDowell said.

“The owner of the other three dogs would pull one dog off, and maybe another, but he had to let them go to grab the third and they’d pounce back on,” he said....

The man walking the other three dogs, Stephen Jaquish, says he owns one of the pit bulls and was dog-sitting the other two.

He said it was horrible to watch the attack, and suggests his dogs were provoked.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/calgary/Family+devastated+after+three+bulls+tear+into+dogs+send/7765333/story.html

Who in their right mind takes three dogs (never mind three of a known aggressive breed) to an off-leash dog park and expects to be able to control them? And the dogs were provoked? Can't take responsibility for your own stupidity? Come on! Why were they on leashes if they were such good dogs?

That is horrible,but pitbulls are only aggressive,when trained to be so .

Since two of the dogs weren't even his,chances are good,they were trained to be this way .

Pitbulls are very very sweet dogs ,if raised in a happy loving home .

They get a bad rap ,because of bag people.

Think of a pitbull like a gun . Safe ,in the right hands .

The fact he didn't know two of these dogs well ,makes him a fool for taking them out all at once.

He's lucky if he doesn't lose his house car and whatever else he owns ,in the coming lawsuit .

This is Canada, we are not sue crazy here. Most people, as long as their vet bill is covered and the dogs are dealt with will let it go. And yes, I ahve heard over and over that Pitts are 'sweet' animals. From personal experience-wouldn't own one and wouldn't want one near my child or pet.

• Like 1

I gotta agree. Thats not the way to handle pitbulls. Especially if your taking care of someone elses.

The injuries dont sound too bad though considering she stuck her hand into the dogfight.

I gotta agree. Thats not the way to handle pitbulls. Especially if your taking care of someone elses.

The injuries dont sound too bad though considering she stuck her hand into the dogfight.

But, she watched ehr two dogs savaged, one had to be put down. She is only thirteen. Poor girl

Since two of the dogs weren't even his,chances are good,they were trained to be this way .

The fact he didn't know two of these dogs well ,makes him a fool for taking them out all at once.

He's lucky if he doesn't lose his house car and whatever else he owns ,in the coming lawsuit .

I highly agree

• Like 3

I dont disagree poor girl. But dogs can be dangerous. If shes tasking them to a dog park theres some basic safety that one should know.

Its not unsimiar to hunting. You know the Bear and Big Cats are out there so do you not prepare for the chance you meet up with one.

A simple can of pepper spray may have prevented this. And I guarentee if I had a 13 year year old daughter she would know how to use pepper spray.

• Like 1

I would of never assumed responsibility for someone else's dog at least not in a public area, might feed them while your gone on vacation. Even in the more non aggressive breeds when it comes to other dogs that can change especially if its a male dog.

• Like 1

I think they should put the guy in jail. What kind of fool takes two large dogs he doesn't know into a dog park. Well bred socialized, Pitt Bulls can be fine dogs, but they have been bred to be dog aggressive. Anybody who knows about breeding dogs knows you can breed them for a purpose. Take beagles, they are bred for hunting rabbits. They hunt rabbits without even being trained to hunt. Some are good at it and some aren't. Some dogs run the track back wards and you can try to train to run right way, but I have never seen it done. Pitts were bred to fight other dogs. You can bred that out of them, but you have to be really careful, because you will still get a fighter every so offend.

• Like 3

I would of never assumed responsibility for someone else's dog at least not in a public area, might feed them while your gone on vacation. Even in the more non aggressive breeds when it comes to other dogs that can change especially if its a male dog.

Yeah, again, IMO, taking three dogs out for walk, especially when two aren't yours is silly. If he wasn't concerned, then why did he have leashes on all three when it was a leash- free park?

Sad story. It was the little girls dogs who approached the pit bulls.

I wouldn't mind seeing all pit bulls put to sleep. They have a mean streak in them even when trained properly. They can snap. I've seen it a few times. If you have a toddler at home you should not own a pit bull. It's not safe.

• Like 3

Pitbulls have been bred to be dangerous. They are powerful and vicious. They don't really belong as pets in an area where other pets are abundant.

There are exceptions to this, but overall the dogs have been chosen and bred to be aggressive.

But, the real problem is with stupid dog owners, who feel their dog should be an extension of the 'personality' and want to portray a tough guy attitude.

• Like 5

Incidentally, I have a dog that's half German Shepard and half Pit Bull. She's very tolerant to all animals we own(cats and other dogs), has never shown any kind of discomfort around humans of all ages(even when little kids run around her making a ruckus and getting close to her face while petting her), but absolutely hates intruder animals and will chase strange cats(and small dogs that would fit through the gate-gap in our old house) out of our yard to the death if she catches them.

As much as I like you ...and I do...I VEHEMENTLY disagree! Pit Bulls will chase down and kill anything that runs! Regardless of how they are 'trained' or not. Anything running is an invitation to chase it and kill it. That is just the way their brains work. You can train your PB to be sweet and obedient...and if the little girl next door starts running down the street...it will chase her and kill her! It is just that simple.

• Like 1

I personally don't like dogs in general, and this is just one of the many reasons why.

• Like 1

I personally don't like dogs in general, and this is just one of the many reasons why.

All dogs are basically re-tooled wolves. I have a Lab and two small Havanese dogs. The Lab is so sweet...and she is sooo big! But, I still keep in mind that she is a wolf in Labs clothing. Animals are animals...but some animals just have bad genetics...Pit Bulls are one of them.

• Like 1

All dogs are basically re-tooled wolves. I have a Lab and two small Havanese dogs. The Lab is so sweet...and she is sooo big! But, I still keep in mind that she is a wolf in Labs clothing. Animals are animals...but some animals just have bad genetics...Pit Bulls are one of them.

I agree. I grew up in a house full of dogs and had to do 3 times as many chores just simply due to them. A dog doesn't say please and thank you, it doesn't keep anything clean or orderly, and it doesn't connect with you like a human can. To me it's just an animal, and animals belong outside in the wild, not bred into human culture for no further purpose but to pee on everything chew on everything and leave a huge empty space in your wallet for doing so. I'd rather just be alone.

• Like 1

I agree. I grew up in a house full of dogs and had to do 3 times as many chores just simply due to them. A dog doesn't say please and thank you, it doesn't keep anything clean or orderly, and it doesn't connect with you like a human can. To me it's just an animal, and animals belong outside in the wild, not bred into human culture for no further purpose but to pee on everything chew on everything and leave a huge empty space in your wallet for doing so. I'd rather just be alone.

Ah, but dogs can and are one your best and most loyal friends. They don't judge you. They don't back stab you. They don't manipulate you (except into giving them a treat) and they will protect you against an aggressor. And if you train them to chew bones, they won't tear up your stuff and they are easily house broken with some patience provided...and treats. I love dogs...I just have no use for Pit Bulls and a few other breeds.

• Like 4

Ah, but dogs can and are one your best and most loyal friends. They don't judge you. They don't back stab you. They don't manipulate you (except into giving them a treat) and they will protect you against an aggressor. And if you train them to chew bones, they won't tear up your stuff and they are easily house broken with some patience provided...and treats. I love dogs...I just have no use for Pit Bulls and a few other breeds.

I agree. I also would never own a Doberman, a Rotty or a German Sheperd. One of the nastiest dogs I ever met was part dingo, and it scared the crap out of me. Even if they are cross-bred or raised in a nice, loving home like the afor mentioned, doesn't mean that you can trust vicious breeds.
  • Like 1

I'm glad no one ever told my Malamute he was on the most dangerous dogs list. After rescuing dozens of dogs in my life, he was the gentlest dog I ever adopted. He led me to abandonded kittens, baby rabbits and birds that were in distress so I could take care of them. He did his share of babysitting them too....waking me up during the night to see to their needs.

In my experience, the nastiest dogs weigh under twenty pounds. The only reason they aren't considered "dangerous" is because they can't cause much damage when they bite.

• Like 3

Ya my chihuahua really goes against breed standard when it comes to temperament, she is very quiet, gentle and sweet, but I have had to work with her when it comes to other dogs. People are surprised but the dog that bites the most is the golden retriever. A lot depends on what you do when they are pups. If you play rough with them you're teaching them to bite. I really like Victoria Stillwell's training methods. They were a big help with my dog when I got her.

As much as I like you ...and I do...I VEHEMENTLY disagree! Pit Bulls will chase down and kill anything that runs! Regardless of how they are 'trained' or not. Anything running is an invitation to chase it and kill it. That is just the way their brains work. You can train your PB to be sweet and obedient...and if the little girl next door starts running down the street...it will chase her and kill her! It is just that simple.

Man,I disagree,Id say more but Im not going to make an arguement out of what we think about dogs or pits in general, Some people dont know squat about them but think they do.Oh well believe what you want,Just my opinion.
  • Like 3

Man,I disagree,Id say more but Im not going to make an arguement out of what we think about dogs or pits in general, Some people dont know squat about them but think they do.Oh well believe what you want,Just my opinion.

I know, I know. People who have PitBulls love them to death and you cannot overcome the Love factor with any kind of evidence. I will say that Pit Bulls do get a bad rap. But it is because they are a bad breed. :whistle: There are plenty of cases of Pit Bulls in good loving homes that wind up killing the kids. Do this: Google Pit Bull attacks/Images....I can guarantee you that if you Google Lab attacks/Images...you will not find any pictures of Labs who have mutilated the face of a cow! or horse! They are dangerous dogs...I'll leave it at that!

• Like 2

blame backyard breeders, and next time you adopt a puppy from a shelter, think who might be its parents, most likely product of such breading. it might be your best intentions, but it might end up bad

you wont see labs tearing up kids faces cuz those breeders not interested in labs.

• Like 1

I know, I know. People who have PitBulls love them to death and you cannot overcome the Love factor with any kind of evidence. I will say that Pit Bulls do get a bad rap. But it is because they are a bad breed. :whistle: There are plenty of cases of Pit Bulls in good loving homes that wind up killing the kids. Do this: Google Pit Bull attacks/Images....I can guarantee you that if you Google Lab attacks/Images...you will not find any pictures of Labs who have mutilated the face of a cow! or horse! They are dangerous dogs...I'll leave it at that!

The problem we have in Britain is that, in the absence of guns and long blades, dogs are the next best thing in weaponry (preferably Staffordshire Bull Terriers and Rottweilers). These things are taught to be vicious for a purpose and breed for that purpose, and the owners just have no clue how to be responsible owners, this leads to a lot of cases of bulls attacking children, because they're brought up to view anything and everything as a potential threat.

I do suscribe to the teachings of Cesar Milan. He teaches the owner to become the pack leader, under these circumstance no matter what the breed, it won't act unless on the authority of the owner. Dogs are by instinct pack animals and they act as such. The problem with a lot of owners is that they're not percieved as the pack leader and it's obvious to see who they are. They're the ones being dragged down the pavement behind they're dog.

It works, I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier-Bulldog cross and she used to drag me all over the place, because she thought she was in charge and chased anything which moved cars, bikes, people, animals, anything. I had to put her on a lead everywhere I went. Now I've become pack leader and she understands this too, she won't go for anything anymore, because worrying about threats isn't her problem to deal with, it's mine. I love her and now others get to see what a sweet dog she is, which she always was, unfortunately she just had the tendancy to lash out.

As much as I hate the term "dangerous" dog, until owners start to treat their dogs the same way, the term deserves to stick because in the hands of someone who doesn't know what they're doing (and these people are legion) they are dangerous.

The most viscious dogs I've ever come across are Chihuahuas, savage things when they need to be, the only difference between them and a pitbull/rottweiler/mastiff is bite radius.

Edited by Walter White
  • Like 4