Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

E-cigarettes set to appear in UK TV adverts

Still Waters

New rules will allow electronic cigarettes to be shown in UK TV adverts from 10 November, the Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP) has said.

The CAP said any e-cigarette adverts must not target under-18s or non-smokers.

E-cigarettes do not contain tobacco, and the CAP said adverts must not promote tobacco use or show tobacco products "in a positive light".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29553288

Well..be prepared to have it seen on tv here in the U.S. Almost everything that happens in the UK happens here too sooner or later.

Seeing people sucking on those e-cigs makes them look like they're suckling at pacifiers or mini hookas. They don't look any more "sophisticated" with e-cigs as they did with regular cigs.

• Like 1

Well..be prepared to have it seen on tv here in the U.S. Almost everything that happens in the UK happens here too sooner or later.

They already have been for at least a few months.

From what iv seen E-cigs actually help people quit smoking. So this is a good thing.

Plus for as long as we let alcohol advertise we are just hypocrites anyway....

• Like 4

From what iv seen E-cigs actually help people quit smoking. So this is a good thing.

most of the lads at work now use these E-cigs, but you find if they forget to charge them or it stops working they'll nip out and smoke a proper ciggy. and about 80% of them just keep switching between the two. The fear has to be getting people who wouldn't normally start smoking tobacco getting addicted to Nicotine, and then eventually leading to smoking tobacco in the future. the line is a thin one i think.

• Like 2

I've had a few friends that were successful in quitting smoking all together by using these e-cigs due to the simple fact that they can order different juices with different levels of nicotine, this can be an invaluable tool for those whom are actually trying to quit smoking all together. On the other hand I've seen the same thing as steve with certain people just switching between the two on a regular basis, unfortunately I would be one of those people as the e-cigs just tease me and put the idea in my head to smoke a regular cigarette. I've recently quit and found out that after about 3 days I don't have any cravings really, the occasional fleeting reminder when I see others smoking but I've always found it to be a nasty habit so maybe that plays a factor.

• Like 1

They already have been for at least a few months.

Is that so? Maybe in some states because where I am at I have yet to see one e-cig commercial. But then again I watch little tv.

Edited by Ryu

7 months and counting without 1 cigarette thanks to my vaporizer.

• Like 4

7 months and counting without 1 cigarette thanks to my vaporizer.

keep it going, My dad developed lung cancer after smoking for 40'odd years, he had part of his right lung removed, the surgeon told him he's one of the luckiest men alive, because it was only in the early stages. It was found by accident when he went to the Doctors with a normal run of the mill chest infections. My dad is still with us today, 8 years after the operation. - but the effects of smoking still exist, in that even though he stopped smoking instantly when the surgeon told him to 8 years ago, just last month he was diagnosed with COPD. chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. he now gets out of breath and needs to use inhalers. due to the damage and scaring of his lungs. due to smoking. So its not worth it. because it will get you in the end.

keep it going, My dad developed lung cancer after smoking for 40'odd years, he had part of his right lung removed, the surgeon told him he's one of the luckiest men alive, because it was only in the early stages. It was found by accident when he went to the Doctors with a normal run of the mill chest infections. My dad is still with us today, 8 years after the operation. - but the effects of smoking still exist, in that even though he stopped smoking instantly when the surgeon told him to 8 years ago, just last month he was diagnosed with COPD. chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. he now gets out of breath and needs to use inhalers. due to the damage and scaring of his lungs. due to smoking. So its not worth it. because it will get you in the end.

Oh most definitely. It is a nasty habit and I'm glad to be done with it. Working on stepping down off the vaporizer now as well.

• Like 2

Good on you Imaginary, can't wait to see how I feel after 7 months of quit time, just a couple of weeks and I already have way more endurance and lung capacity.

I sat down a few weeks ago and read the approximate timelines as to how much my body would be healing after I quit smoking and that alone motivated me to want to quit for good, not to mention calculating how much I was spending per week, good god it was a ton. Now in about a month I'll be able to purchase some things that I've been eyeballing for quite some time thanks to being smoke free!

• Like 1