Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Long Island Medium Caught Again

Brian Topp

Bad news, guys: everyone's favorite large-haired ghost whisperer with a reality television program may not actually possess the ability to whisper to ghosts.

According to fraud whistleblower (alternative title: professional party-pooper) Ron Tebo, Theresa Caputo — medium, dog owner, author of You Can't Make This Stuff Upis, in fact, making this stuff up.

Tebo says he's been interviewing Caputo's clients and associates for over a year — which is, like, a really long time to hold a professional grudge against a TV medium — and accuses her of various forms of trickery, including cold reading, purposely asking vague leading questions, and having her employees run background checks on ticket-holders at her events "to guarantee a catch."

http://jezebel.com/report-long-island-medium-cannot-actually-talk-to-ghos-1586475554

• Like 3

This woman hits my last nerve.

• Like 6

Is that Long Island serial killer still killing folks? (only asking)

• Like 3

You don't really have a 'gift' if you profit from it.

If people ask you for money for a reading....RUN AWAY.

• Like 6

Update:

in the midst of fraud allegations, the Long Island Medium is “speaking” out against the claims against her.

Theresa Caputo posted a photo of a quote to Facebook that reads, “Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive…and take their breath away.”

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2014/06/long-island-medium-responds-fraud-claims/

• Like 3

Update:

LOL, I had that update on my facebook a month ago....

Money or not, Psychic ability is just not true. That is ONE thing that would be very easy to prove, and not one person has, will, or can.

No offense to anyone, but it is the truth.

• Like 3

The whole profession is riddled with con men & women.I fail to see how people keep being taken for a ride by these fraudsters.How many have to be revealed as cheats before people will wake up.

• Like 5

The worst of Humankind preys and profits on the hopes of the bereaved. I hate a Liar. :angry:

Edited by jamesjr191
  • Like 6

A medium being exposed as a fake???? This has to be a first!!!

• Like 5

I watched only one episode of her tv show. Her attitude and voice was all it took for me to not like her.

• Like 1

What's so silly about it is that she's not even putting a new spin on the fraud. She's doing the exact same stuff that "psychics" have been doing for decades. Not only that, but it's the same techniques that others have been caught red handed doing.

• Like 2

What's so silly about it is that she's not even putting a new spin on the fraud. She's doing the exact same stuff that "psychics" have been doing for decades. Not only that, but it's the same techniques that others have been caught red handed doing.

This is the incredible thing,these types of people have been conning people for over a hundred years,with the same tricks and scams,yet still people put their faith in them.I'd like to see the lot of them put out of business or admit its trickery not genuine ability.Of course its never going to happen as too many of them are making a good living at it.

• Like 1

The whole profession is riddled with con men & women.I fail to see how people keep being taken for a ride by these fraudsters.How many have to be revealed as cheats before people will wake up.

These desperate people are hearing what they want to believe as real and are easy marks..

• Like 1

You don't really have a 'gift' if you profit from it.

I always hated this idea, since I'm a person with a natural talent who profits from it every day. The only difference is, my talent is writing and not pretending to be psychic.

People in a capitalistic society should be able to profit from anything they can do, as long as it's not illegal or fraud... which this basically is.

• Like 1

In their business this is just a temporary setback. They don't go to jail. They just hang low for a few years and the suckers forget the scandal and go back to giving them money. They lie and steal but never get arrested.

Peter Popoff is the biggest example of this. He displayed his "God-given" amazing psychic abilities to read people's minds as if God Himself were speaking to him and faith-heal whatever ailed them. He did this in front of thousands of astonished believers. Then in 1986 it was revealed that instead of God it was actually his wife speaking to him through a receiver in his ear, and he wasn't curing anyone. He eventually admitted that he was occasionally aided by a radio receiver on stage but it was no big deal.

This legally is fraud however no law enforcement agency dared to bother this man of God. Therefore less than ten years after the scandal, Popoff was back in business with late night infomercials selling some kind of holy spring water that cures everything. By 2007 his ministry was as big as it had been before the scandal.

• Like 1

I'm wondering why any of you care if people who want to believe and give money to fraudsters, does so... they're not taking anything out of your pocket. In addition, get a clue and look into your own life at what pointless, meaningless and ridiculous passtimes you engage in that serve no purpose other than to occupy a few moments and alleviate boredom getting you one step closer to the grave...

• Like 1

I'm wondering why any of you care if people who want to believe and give money to fraudsters, does so... they're not taking anything out of your pocket. In addition, get a clue and look into your own life at what pointless, meaningless and ridiculous passtimes you engage in that serve no purpose other than to occupy a few moments and alleviate boredom getting you one step closer to the grave...

Are you speaking of your own experiences..... Just wondering...

• Like 1

The difference here is that most people are well aware that their past times are meaningless. What they are getting is exactly what they're being told they're getting: a message board, video game, bungee jump whatever.

In this case, people are being taken advantage of. Do you know the definition of fraud? People who are suckered into this believe they are getting what was promised to them and they are not.

Look at it this way, if you buy a video game, you expect the video game that is advertised. If you get Pong instead... is that OK with you?

And really... some people just care about other people. If you only care for yourself, then the topic shouldn't affect you.

• Like 1

No different then that scumbag John Edwards. Cold reading and suggestive speech towards vulnerable persons missing a loved one. If anyone actually has an ability to communicate with the spirit world , it is a gift to be shared with the world not to be profiteered and exploited.