Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Giant owl photographed at Carrizo Springs

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#31    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,758 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

View Postorangepeaceful79, on 15 July 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

There isn't going to be any carcass.  It was stolen by the Giant Mutant Owl community to "protect the species".  :rolleyes:  I guess it turns out that the Giant Owls are actually in league with Bigfoots all over and the Bigfoot lobbyists leaned hard on the Owl supporters because they were afraid of the consequences of a Giant Owl undergoing scientific scrutiny.

Its really amazing when you think about it......I'd think that the Footers would have their hands full confiscating and burying all their own dead bigfoots to keep science from ever verifying its existence.  :D
Man! Do you have any idea how much of your day is taken up burying bigfoots if you're a Sworn Brother of the Bigfoot Defenders Guild, and live in Northern Oregon. The driving around lone takes hours and hours. And you always have to be scanning the sky for that big supernatural footprint in the clouds that announces, "Man (err... Squatch) Down!".

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#32    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,758 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

I'd guess such a big bird would be 25 to 30 pounds. Bigger then that and your approaching the size of a pre-schooler. Even an adult male condor usually only gets up to 30 pounds.

Edited by DieChecker, 16 July 2012 - 04:48 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#33    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,758 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:51 AM

As a turkey hunter, I know that I've picked up 20 pound birds (dead) and we've been able to pick them up by the end of the wing feathers and take pictures. I think the way they have it picked up is certainly possible. The wing feathers are anchored pretty deep, I would imagine, and can probably bear the entier birds weight for a short time.

#34    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,927 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 16 July 2012 - 04:51 AM, said:

As a turkey hunter, I know that I've picked up 20 pound birds (dead) and we've been able to pick them up by the end of the wing feathers and take pictures. I think the way they have it picked up is certainly possible. The wing feathers are anchored pretty deep, I would imagine, and can probably bear the entier birds weight for a short time.

Thanks for adding that, nice to hear something that is from first hand experience, don't know if its enough to make me rethink my position though.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#35    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,549 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 15 July 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

The analysis in the link you posted seems to point out these discrepancies, and could well be spot on. but the comment about the man in the jacket removed the guys credibility for me.

Interesting - him pointing that out is kind of what sold it for me.

Have you ever been to Texas in July?

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#36    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,927 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

View PostRafterman, on 16 July 2012 - 12:48 PM, said:

Interesting - him pointing that out is kind of what sold it for me.

Have you ever been to Texas in July?

Lol, conflicting view points from the same statement.

No I haven't been to Texas in July (unfortunately, I would love to travel more). I guess you are saying its very very very hot.

My point is that he (analysis man) may not know the reasons for the jacket, granted its may be to hot for a jacket, but there are always people like this. They may be uncomfortable wearing short sleeves, have a noticable deformity, feel 'cool' (that's like a dude) in a jacket, wanted to look more official in the photo, it might have been a slightly cooler day, he might be henpecked, there seems to be another man in the photo in a long sleeved top too. Some of these arguments are weak but may be possible reasons.

In England its a bit (well a lot really) colder than Texas, our 'people like this' work on the other end of the spectrum. No matter how cold or wet it is, while we are wearing jackets and scarf's, some bloke is out and about in a t-shirt, apparently impervious to the cold, big grin on his face looking at us softies wrapping up to protect us from the elements.

Also the original image may not have been taken in July but just put into circulation recently (I only re-read the article quickly so forgive me if I'm wrong here). The photo could have been staged at any time before its circulation.

It is interesting that we both drew opposite conclusions from the same statement yet share a similar view point on the authenticity of the image. but that's what keeps us posting. :tu:

Edited by Junior Chubb, 16 July 2012 - 01:15 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#37    madrex

madrex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Looks like it could maybe be another large type of bird of prey like osprey, eagle or hawk with head hanging down to the right in fuzzy photo.  Could it be a South American species like harpy eagle.

#38    madrex

madrex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

Found a better picture on another site, photoshopped I'd say or the largest barn owl ever.  http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/showthread.php?p=5512416

#39    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,927 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

View Postmadrex, on 16 July 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

Found a better picture on another site, photoshopped I'd say or the largest barn owl ever.  http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/showthread.php?p=5512416

Deja vu?  ;)

Before you ask, I often wear my jacket in the Texan sun, if you don't believe me ask Rafeterman...

Posted Image

Edited by Junior Chubb, 16 July 2012 - 04:02 PM.

#40    Golly Buster

Golly Buster

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

Are there any decent versions of this photo online?

It's not hard to Photoshop something like this with a bit of skill and my immediate reaction is that it's fake.

#41    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

The photograph contains artifacts that shouldn't be present. I might be talking out of my rear though.

Posted Image
UFOs aren't always the alien's spacecraft...sometimes they are the aliens.

#42    Golly Buster

Golly Buster

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 16 July 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

Deja vu?  ;)

BTW I often wear my jacket in the Texan sun...

Posted Image

Thanks for posting a good version of it (Walrus Man rocks btw!)

Definitely 100% Photoshop fake.

Walrus Man's fingers are all screwed up, as is the edging of the factory wall just above the owl's wing on that side.

There's heaps more little telltale signs but those alone are more than conclusive.

#43    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,096 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Also, is it just me or does the concrete seem to merge with one of a different shade?

Posted Image
UFOs aren't always the alien's spacecraft...sometimes they are the aliens.

#44    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,927 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

View PostDolly Buster, on 16 July 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

Walrus Man's fingers are all screwed up, as is the edging of the factory wall just above the owl's wing on that side.

:lol: :lol:

Thanks Dolly, glad you appreciate the Walrus...

He likes you too :blush:

Edited by Junior Chubb, 16 July 2012 - 04:07 PM.

#45    Astral Hillbilly

Astral Hillbilly

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 157 posts

• Pain is inevitable....Suffering is optional !

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

In the picture it looks like some kind of string, or small rope going from the top of the garage door down to the birds left wing (right wing as we see it). Could it be supporting some of it's weight ? Or, am I not seeing what I think I'm seeing ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users