Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Which Ten Commandments Are Acceptable To You?

Clarakore

Which 10 Commandments do you find acceptable even if you do not agree with the overall message of the Old Testament? Which do you disagree with and find no value in?

For those who believe do you ever question the value of any of them? Do you understand them all? Do any confuse you to exactly what they mean? Have you ever thought about it or just accept the popular narrative?

This is totally subjective, what is more important than being right or wrong simply understanding how other people believe.

I was completely unaware that it was a game of pick and reject.

• Like 2

Children have ten fingers to count on. Each finger is a reminder which is important in the early formation years of their character.

It also works with illiterate people in the early formations of civilizations.

• Like 1

Gentiles and jews are not held under the law of the commandments anymore but theres no harm in pleasing god in the things he approves of.

1.You shall have no other gods before me. (if god is at the top of the list its seems fair enough to pay only him reverance)

• 2. You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. (theres no point me worshipping man made things when god made everything)
  • 3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain. (if you can imagine any one who you would be respectful to, surely god is entitled to more)
  • 4. Keep the sabath (i guess we have to saturday and sunday for these reasons, if you arnt thankful for the bible, be thankful for the invention of the weekend lol)

just accidently deleted my other comment lol

in short respect your parents, dont steal, dont murder, dont tell porkies about your neighbor and dont covet your neighbors belongings

i cant see any thing wrong with the commandments

Edited by Armchair Educated

For those who, like me, forgot them a long time ago:

ten_commandments_2.jpg

Just so you know, I'm an atheist now but was raised as a Christian Protestant. I guess these commandments are a good guide, but that's all .... individual circumstances would probably come into play.

I prefer these as I think they are more appropriate to these times:

10006486.jpg

Or what about these?:

better_10_commandments.jpg

• Like 4

1-4 are meaningless to a non-believer like myself.

5.....Depends on your parents. Why honor bad parents? Good parents, yes, bad parents, no.

6.....Some version's say murder and some say kill. Out and out murder, no. Self defense or if you are in a war situation, totally acceptable.

7.....Although it happens all of the time, I've never done it, and my reasons have nothing to do with religion.

8.....Stealing is wrong.....just wish our government would obey it.

9.....In other words, don't lead others (especially the authorities) to think someone has done something wrong when they haven't, especially if it leads to their conviction or death. Nothing wrong with this one.

10....Nothing wrong with coveting. Without it, the economy would go even further downhill.

• Like 3

Which 10 Commandments do you find acceptable even if you do not agree with the overall message of the Old Testament? Which do you disagree with and find no value in?

For those who believe do you ever question the value of any of them? Do you understand them all? Do any confuse you to exactly what they mean? Have you ever thought about it or just accept the popular narrative?

This is totally subjective, what is more important than being right or wrong simply understanding how other people believe.

they are all acceptable to me, given that they are part of an ancient book of writings.

as for which do i plan to follow? actually, i have my own list

Children have ten fingers to count on. Each finger is a reminder which is important in the early formation years of their character.

Yes, it's very important that children remember "Thou shalt not commit adultery".

• Like 1

Gentiles and jews are not held under the law of the commandments anymore

Whoa, when did this happen? This wasn't taught to us in Hebrew school and I got nothing in the mail from God releasing me from them.

Ouija I never thought you were an atheist? You learn something new everyday!

What did you think? :D

One problem with the "Ten Commandments" is which ten? But let's just go through the most popular list.

1. No other gods before me. Wait, isn't there only one god? Then how is this possible?

2. Don't make carved images. No problem. I could barely hold a pocket knife without cutting myself. Buy your carved images and let them go to hell.

Also don't bow down to them or serve them. You mean like the American Flag?

Some lists say this is the same as the first one.

3. Don't take the Lord's name in vain. Fortunately we've invented much better obscenities now.

4. Obey the Sabbath. That would be Sunday. Or Saturday. I guess any day of the week will do.

5. Honor thy father and mother. The Old Testament says that disobedient children should be killed. Later on it says that if parents don't have the balls to do it themselves, they can go to the Elders and they'll stone the little rat to death for you. Jesus specifically supported this. The New Testament also says that you should ditch your family if they're not believers so this one is a confused mess.

6. Don't murder. Unless God tells you to, as when God ordered the Israelites to exterminate the populations of cities they were conquering.

7. Don't commit adultery. Back when you could marry as many hot babes that dig you (see David, Solomon and many others) it was pretty easy to follow this one. Wilt Chamberlain would have had over 10,000 wives in Biblical times! The Old Testament says the punishment for this is death but the two witness clause (fortunately God does not count as a witness!) means you should just get a motel room.

8. Don't steal. Again, unless God tells you to, as when God ordered the Israelites to take everything in the cities they conquered. There's also some vagueness that may define "finders keepers" to not be stealing.

9. Don't give false testimony against your neighbor. It's no problem if the guy doesn't live next to you. Make up anything.

10. Don't covet your neighbor's stuff. Easy. Just buy better stuff that he will want. Then the Commandment ball is in his court.

Note there are no commandments about lying, cheating, loving thy neighbor (sorry, Jesus), committing fraud (sorry, Jesus alternate version), treating people as you would want to be treated, not harming animals, obeying the king/government, or your sexual orientation.

• Like 1

I find this hilarious, it's by George Carlin.

Here is my problem with the ten commandments- why exactly are there 10?

You simply do not need ten. The list of ten commandments was artificially and deliberately inflated to get it up to ten. Here's what happened:

About 5,000 years ago a bunch of religious and political hustlers got together to try to figure out how to control people and keep them in line. They knew people were basically stupid and would believe anything they were told, so they announced that God had given them some commandments, up on a mountain, when no one was around.

Well let me ask you this- when they were making this **** up, why did they pick 10? Why not 9 or 11? I'll tell you why- because 10 sound official. Ten sounds important! Ten is the basis for the decimal system, it's a decade, it's a psychologically satisfying number (the top ten, the ten most wanted, the ten best dressed). So having ten commandments was really a marketing decision! It is clearly a bull**** list. It's a political document artificially inflated to sell better. I will now show you how you can reduce the number of commandments and come up with a list that's a little more workable and logical. I am going to use the Roman Catholic version because those were the ones I was taught as a little boy.

Let's start with the first three:

I AM THE LORD THY GOD

THOU SHALT NOT HAVE STRANGE GODS BEFORE ME

THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN

THOU SHALT KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH

Right off the bat the first three are pure bull****. Sabbath day? Lord's name? strange gods? Spooky language! Designed to scare and control primitive people. In no way does superstitious nonsense like this apply to the lives of intelligent civilized humans in the 21st century. So now we're down to 7. Next:

HONOR THY FATHER AND MOTHER

Obedience, respect for authority. Just another name for controlling people. The truth is that obedience and respect shouldn't be automatic. They should be earned and based on the parent's performance. Some parents deserve respect, but most of them don't, period. You're down to six.

Now in the interest of logic, something religion is very uncomfortable with, we're going to jump around the list a little bit.

THOU SHALT NOT STEAL

THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS

Stealing and lying. Well actually, these two both prohibit the same kind of behavior- dishonesty. So you don't really need two you combine them and call the commandment "thou shalt not be dishonest". And suddenly you're down to 5.

And as long as we're combining I have two others that belong together:

THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTRY

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S WIFE

Once again, these two prohibit the same type of behavior. In this case it is marital infidelity. The difference is- coveting takes place in the mind. But I don't think you should outlaw fantasizing about someone else's wife because what is a guy gonna think about when he's waxing his carrot? But, marital fidelity is a good idea so we're gonna keep this one and call it "thou shalt not be unfaithful". And suddenly we're down to four.

But when you think about it, honesty and fidelity are really part of the same overall value so, in truth, you could combine the two honesty commandments with the two fidelity commandments and give them simpler language, positive language instead of negative language and call the whole thing "thou shalt always be honest and faithful" and we're down to 3.

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR"S GOODS

This one is just plain ****in' stupid. Coveting your neighbor's goods is what keeps the economy going! Your neighbor gets a vibrator that plays "o come o ye faithful", and you want one too! Coveting creates jobs, so leave it alone. You throw out coveting and you're down to 2 now- the big honesty and fidelity commandment and the one we haven't talked about yet:

THOU SHALT NOT KILL

Murder. But when you think about it, religion has never really had a big problem with murder. More people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason. All you have to do is look at Northern Ireland, Kashmir, the Inquisition, the Crusades, and the World Trade Center to see how seriously the religious folks take thou shalt not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable. It depends on who's doin the killin' and who's gettin' killed. So, with all of this in mind, I give you my revised list of the two commandments:

Thou shalt always be honest and faithful

to the provider of thy nookie.

&

Thou shalt try real hard not to kill anyone, unless of course

they pray to a different invisible man than you.

Two is all you need; Moses could have carried them down the hill in his ****in' pocket. I wouldn't mind those folks in Alabama posting them on the courthouse wall, as long as they provided one additional commandment:

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

• Like 3

I'd say Commandment 7 is unacceptable to me for the simple fact that the dude who gave it did a lot of killing himself - Practice what you preach pal, lead by example not fear.

Yes, do not kill is a good thing for sure, but that's like your father killing lots of people and then saying "By the way, killing is wrong and if you do it I'l redden your ****"

Edited by Sean93

This is a little known tale of how God came to give the Jews the Ten Commandments.

God first went to the Egyptians and asked them if they would like a commandment. "What's a commandment?" they asked. "Well, it's like, THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTERY," replied God. The Egyptians thought about it and then said, "No way, that would ruin our weekends."

So then God went to the Assyrians and asked them if they would like a commandment. They also asked, "What's a commandment?" "Well," said God, "It's like, THOU SHALT NOT STEAL." The Assyrians immediately replied, "No way. That would ruin our economy."

So finally God went to the Jews and asked them if they wanted a commandment. They asked, "How much?" God said, "They're free." The Jews said, "Great! We'll take TEN!" :P

source: http://www.jokes4us....dmentsjoke.html

• Like 4

1-4 are out, I don't follow the Abrahamic religions. Though a day off is ok by me, but I am sleeping in thanks. Been out all night worshiping those other Gods and Goddesses in the woods. I think the Wiccan Rede works better, it is simple and to the point.

"Harm none, do as you will." Believe it or not that can be tricky.

This article explains it.

http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usfl&c=basics&id=2876

I believe them all to be fine, just how you look at it.

Thou shall not kill is really thou shall not murder. The translatation just got borked. With the stories of the bible they try to show you what murder is... (IE causing death when both groups are not at agreement).

Don't worship other gods is more like don't follow fake gods. IE fundamentalist version of any creator or somebody like the pope or royality or I don't know Jesus, Basically put nobody is above their creator(Which ever it may be) so don't worship them.

Thou shall not steal is more along the lines of choices and not property. Ie Do not steal choices away from people. If you take away a person's ability to get food you are stealing from them. If you make them a slave you are stealing from them.

Do not commit adultery. Don't cheat on your on your equal and your opposite in any form of union. (Any agreement between two people is exactly... people just keep it as marriage and then miss the whole meaning of it.)

Don't work on the Sabbath. That's easy enough don't work on your day of rest and don't force anybody to work on theirs. Basically put everybody deserves a break... so don't be a dick.

6 days of work 1 day of rest. Being forced to work all the time to live is slavery. Unwilling or not you miss out on the good things in your life if you do.

Don't say God's name in vein. Basically don't make a joke out of what created you or your making yourself to be nothing more then a joke. More about self-respect then anything else.

Honor your father and mother. That's more along the lines of don't hate on things that made you. Hating anything that created you... is hating yourself. Which is a bad way to run around life if you ask me.

Don't bear false testimoney. Basically tell the truth when it truly matters.. It's ok to say your wifey her butt doesn't look big in those pants but protecting a child molester is not cool.

Don't covet your neighbors stuff, Don't be jealous of your neighbors possessions it's only stuff. Put your focus on what really matters.

This is why Jesus had that whole I didn't come here to break the rules but to define them thing because people were taking them waaaay to literally(following the law to the letter and not considering what things actually meant) instead of the spirit of the law.

It's basically common sense stuff that people screwed up to prove common sense isn't exactly common anymore.

• Like 1

That so called God says thou shall not kill. So says the raging lunatic of a murderer in the bible thats considered as a God. Hypocrite! That God comes across as an egotistical maniac.

• Like 1

Don't worship other gods is more like don't follow fake gods.

The term "false gods" is in the Old Testament a few times but not here. Why didn't this Commandment say "false gods"? It's because there are or were other gods.

Thou shall not steal is more along the lines of choices and not property. Ie Do not steal choices away from people. If you take away a person's ability to get food you are stealing from them. If you make them a slave you are stealing from them.

Slavery is strongly endorsed as a practice and an institution repeatedly in the Bible so that can't be a correct interpretation.

Do not commit adultery. Don't cheat on your on your equal and your opposite in any form of union. (Any agreement between two people is exactly... people just keep it as marriage and then miss the whole meaning of it.)

Wives in the Bible were in no way considered equals, more like property. Polygamists had several and sometimes hundreds of wives. No women were allowed to have more than one husband. There is no equality in this equation.

6 days of work 1 day of rest. Being forced to work all the time to live is slavery. Unwilling or not you miss out on the good things in your life if you do.

Again, slavery is enthusiastically endorsed both Testaments so that has nothing to do with it. I also don't see how "rest" could be interpreted as party down and have a good time.

Don't say God's name in vain. Basically don't make a joke out of what created you or you're making yourself to be nothing more than a joke. More about self-respect then anything else.

How do I respect a being who nearly exterminated all life on Earth?

Honor your father and mother. That's more along the lines of don't hate on things that made you. Hating anything that created you... is hating yourself. Which is a bad way to run around life if you ask me.

Perhaps you could work in Child Protective Services and tell the children of alcoholic child beaters why they hate themselves when they don't honor their abusive parents.

Don't bear false testimony. Basically tell the truth when it truly matters..

What? It's OK to lie your ass off the rest of the time? Wow!

It's ok to say your wifey her butt doesn't look big in those pants but protecting a child molester is not cool.

You completely forgot the "against your neighbor" part. It's in the Bible for a reason. "Neighbor" is usually interpreted as "fellow Israelite" which means it's OK to lie about non-Jewish people.

Don't covet your neighbors stuff, Don't be jealous of your neighbors possessions it's only stuff. Put your focus on what really matters.

The biggest mystery about this Commandment is why? Why is this so bad? In a list that tells people what to do, there's this one that tells you how to feel. If I like my neighbor's Xbox and I want one too, why is this a horrible sin? The worst this coveting will do is motivate me to save my money and buy one. If this is unacceptable to the teachings of Christianity then the entire American consumer economy is evil.

This is why Jesus had that whole I didn't come here to break the rules but to define them thing because people were taking them waaaay to literally(following the law to the letter and not considering what things actually meant) instead of the spirit of the law.

Bah! Jesus couldn't even name the Ten Commandments -- he didn't even know what he was preaching against. He's the last guy I would trust to teach me the "spirit" of the Ten Commandments.

• Like 2

The term "false gods" is in the Old Testament a few times but not here. Why didn't this Commandment say "false gods"? It's because there are or were other gods.

Translation and 2000 years of people wanting to control people. Fake Gods meaning people who proclaim themselves to be God. You know the that Jesus guy that Christians worship as God(Or Mary and the Saints). Hence the switch.

Slavery is strongly endorsed as a practice and an institution repeatedly in the Bible so that can't be a correct interpretation.

It's servitude which is endorsed which is slavery by consent. This is a language mishap. With the translation and politics put in to it. The writers are human and do follow a certain group. .

Wives in the Bible were in no way considered equals, more like property. Polygamists had several and sometimes hundreds of wives. No women were allowed to have more than one husband. There is no equality in this equation.

Again different times and opinions of what is equal and opposite. Is many not opposite to one and since they are people equal?

Perhaps you could work in Child Protective Services and tell the children of alcoholic child beaters why they hate themselves when they don't honor their abusive parents.

I actually did work for Child Services for about a year I quit when I wasn't allowed to actually help as needed. Your idea of honor is kinda of borked. Hating their actions and not them makes it easier for everybody to get help. Makes it easier to let go.

What? It's OK to lie your ass off the rest of the time? Wow!

Seriously the common sense line. Imagine a telling a story that only contained the truth(animals don't talk it's a lie!) fiction would turn in to a boring read. It's all about where, when and why you lie that matters. You forget about omitting truth as considered as lying. If you need an actual rulebook of where and when it is ok to not tell the whole truth then you need to get help. (Aka not describing what you did in explicit detail is in fact lying). Since you made a smart ass comment I think you might be clever enough to figure it out?

You completely forgot the "against your neighbor" part. It's in the Bible for a reason. "Neighbor" is usually interpreted as "fellow Israelite" which means it's OK to lie about non-Jewish people.

Neighbor can mean anybody that lives next to you. Which you can go neighboring town neighboring state, country whatever. It's pointless and was used for propaganda(Almost like screaming omfg those guys are terrorists) which is why I didn't mention it. Years of politics and bs defined their term of neighbor. So I dropped it.

The biggest mystery about this Commandment is why? Why is this so bad? In a list that tells people what to do, there's this one that tells you how to feel. If I like my neighbor's Xbox and I want one too, why is this a horrible sin? The worst this coveting will do is motivate me to save my money and buy one. If this is unacceptable to the teachings of Christianity then the entire American consumer economy is evil.

Material objects shouldn't matter as much as they do which was what they were getting at. but you have the right train of thought for getting something you want. Sitting there wanting only your neighbors stuff without looking elsewhere for it is quite stupid.

Putting to much love in to possessions leads down a dark path no? Remember not everybody thinks rationally when it comes to material objects.

Bah! Jesus couldn't even name the Ten Commandments -- he didn't even know what he was preaching against. He's the last guy I would trust to teach me the "spirit" of the Ten Commandments.

Agreed. Doesn't change the fact that he tried to change them.

That help?

It's servitude which is endorsed which is slavery by consent. This is a language mishap. With the translation and politics put in to it. The writers are human and do follow a certain group. .
You realise if the slaver owner gave his slave a wife and they produced a child, the slave owner got to keep both the wife and child when the slave left? If he didn't want to leave them, he was made a slave for life.

BS consent.

Translation and 2000 years of people wanting to control people. Fake Gods meaning people who proclaim themselves to be God. You know the that Jesus guy that Christians worship as God(Or Mary and the Saints). Hence the switch.

I don't recall Baal ever saying he was a god or a fake god yet in the Bible more people worship Baal as a god than God. The Israelites are completely outnumbered by people who worship other gods.

It's servitude which is endorsed which is slavery by consent.

The Jews in Egypt didn't "consent" as a race to be slaves for hundreds of years any more than Africans as a race consented to be slaves in America. Jacob surely didn't "consent" to be kidnapped and sold into slavery by his brothers. Your belief that Biblical slavery was just "servitude" is incorrect.

Again different times and opinions of what is equal and opposite.

The Bible has one opinion. Read it.

Is many not opposite to one and since they are people equal?

No.

I actually did work for Child Services for about a year I quit when I wasn't allowed to actually help as needed.

If you only worked a year then you only took reports and didn't actually work field cases.

Your idea of honor is kinda of borked. Hating their actions and not them makes it easier for everybody to get help. Makes it easier to let go.

I don't know what "borked" means.

I personally do not believe that a person's actions can be separated from the person who committed them. I think people who promote this concept as some twisted form of superior forgiveness perpetuate a lot of misery in society. For example abused women crawl back to their husbands because they love them despite their actions. You call this "letting go"? It does exactly the opposite.

Seriously the common sense line.

If you've ever taken an ethics class, you would know that "common sense" doesn't exist.

Imagine a telling a story that only contained the truth(animals don't talk it's a lie!) fiction would turn in to a boring read.

You've completely lost track of the subject. The Commandment is "Thou shalt not bare false testimony against thy neighbor". If your testimony against your neighbor includes talking animals then I would bet your testimony is false and you are not following this Commandment.

It's all about where, when and why you lie that matters.

This is called "contextual ethics". It was made famous by Richard Nixon when he lied and lied because he had convinced himself that he was serving a greater truth by misleading everyone. I don't support this concept. It also has nothing to do with the Commandment we're discussing.

You forget about omitting truth as considered as lying.

This is not mentioned in the Bible. There is nothing in it that commands a person to bear any testimony under any conditions. Also there is no Commandment against lying, only bearing false testimony against a neighbor.

If you need an actual rulebook of where and when it is ok to not tell the whole truth then you need to get help. (Aka not describing what you did in explicit detail is in fact lying). Since you made a smart ass comment I think you might be clever enough to figure it out?

A "rulebook". What does this sound like?

That's right! At last you have found the fundamental problem of the Biblical rulebook called the Ten Commandments. They don't work! They make no sense in actual use! Unless you live a secluded life, you cannot follow them. That's why we created governmental law which not only tells you not to steal or murder but also tells you how to hook up a circuit breaker panel (depending on your local codes!).

Neighbor can mean anybody that lives next to you. Which you can go neighboring town neighboring state, country whatever.

Why are you saying that "neighbor" is meaningless? If God said "neighbor" then obviously it meant something to the people God was saying it to. To follow this Commandment, you must understand what God meant by "neighbor" to His Chosen People at that time, not what it might mean if God had said it today.

It's pointless and was used for propaganda(Almost like screaming omfg those guys are terrorists) which is why I didn't mention it. Years of politics and bs defined their term of neighbor. So I dropped it.

You rewrote a Commandment because you couldn't understand it. Do Christians do this all the time? That would explain a lot of appalling behavior I see.

Material objects shouldn't matter as much as they do which was what they were getting at. but you have the right train of thought for getting something you want. Sitting there wanting only your neighbors stuff without looking elsewhere for it is quite stupid.

No I want better stuff than my neighbor so he'll covet my possessions.

Putting to much love in to possessions leads down a dark path no? Remember not everybody thinks rationally when it comes to material objects.

No, I think it leads to enjoying modern life. I love my house, my central heat, my HDTV, my computer, my bicycle, my cell phone, my power tools, my tons of camera equipment and the photos I've taken with it. These things have rarely failed me unlike many people in my life who have been irrational, ignorant, judgmental, selfish and self-destructive. I'll take a well-designed product over a human any day until more humans learn to think rationally about themselves and their behavior.

• Like 1

I don't recall Baal ever saying he was a god or a fake god yet in the Bible more people worship Baal as a god than God. The Israelites are completely outnumbered by people who worship other gods.

It's more like a jab at the Egyptian Pharaohs then anything else. Who were what? Worshiped as Gods. Most Royalty ends up getting worshiped. Take any celeb for instance. It's never about the people saying they are God but people worshiping humans as God regardless of what they call themselves. Don't worship humans that better?

The Jews in Egypt didn't "consent" as a race to be slaves for hundreds of years any more than Africans as a race consented to be slaves in America. Jacob surely didn't "consent" to be kidnapped and sold into slavery by his brothers. Your belief that Biblical slavery was just "servitude" is incorrect.

The hated slavery and liked servitude. Read the bible and who they follow and why. God asked people to do things. Hence servitude. Pharaoh forced them hence Slavery. People who took things so literal mistake the difference. Which is what is going on here. The whole bible is denoting the difference. Slavery vs Servitude. Read the whole Bible, then base you context on that not just part of one story and try to force it in to use your point. Read the whole thing for yourself.

This is not mentioned in the Bible. There is nothing in it that commands a person to bear any testimony under any conditions. Also there is no Commandment against lying, only bearing false testimony against a neighbor.

I take out what could be seen as political influence and stick to the spirit not the letter. Bear false witness is about the difference between a story and the truth. Omit truth, drop truth, change truth, misinterpret truth are all what making truth a story? What is something that isn't the truth? At the base of it all it's called a lie. Which is why some bibles say thou shall not lie

A "rulebook". What does this sound like?

That's right! At last you have found the fundamental problem of the Biblical rulebook called the Ten Commandments. They don't work! They make no sense in actual use! Unless you live a secluded life, you cannot follow them. That's why we created governmental law which not only tells you not to steal or murder but also tells you how to hook up a circuit breaker panel (depending on your local codes!).

Wait that's the whole reason your bent out of shape? It's morality I'm talking about not a set of laws.

Why are you saying that "neighbor" is meaningless? If God said "neighbor" then obviously it meant something to the people God was saying it to. To follow this Commandment, you must understand what God meant by "neighbor" to His Chosen People at that time, not what it might mean if God had said it today.

You rewrote a Commandment because you couldn't understand it. Do Christians do this all the time? That would explain a lot of appalling behavior I see.

Neighbor has multiple meanings. This was not defined in the actual commandment. Your trying to put a definition from this year on a word from 2000 years ago that has been translated between how many languages. It could simply mean, a person who lives next to you, or even simply somebody who isn't you. Controlling men used it to force war on other religions by putting their own definition on it so I dropped it to avoid confusion.

If you've ever taken an ethics class, you would know that "common sense" doesn't exist.

It does exist, it's just rare.

If you only worked a year then you only took reports and didn't actually work field cases.

Think of it as temp to hire. Kid from crappy home being good with kids from crappy homes I didn't hate what they did so I became friends with the people who helped me out. So I stayed in contact and then they offered me a job working with kids who went through the same life I had. Nature of the internet is that you don't get the whole picture let alone live in the same area. State rules where I am from are different from yours.

No I want better stuff than my neighbor so he'll covet my possessions.

Good luck with that.

The Bible has one opinion. Read it.

No there are many versions of the bible from different sects of Christianity. I read the bible like 3 times and compared different versions. So I can get my own take on it from my own view with nobody forcing their view on me. S

Not a christian, nor believe in a personified God, nor the bible as truth but an Aesop's fable.

You just arguing just for fun? Since I see that most of your arguments are just a bunch of assumptions of who you think I am. Keeps me entertained though so I don't mind.

No, I think it leads to enjoying modern life. I love my house, my central heat, my HDTV, my computer, my bicycle, my cell phone, my power tools, my tons of camera equipment and the photos I've taken with it. These things have rarely failed me unlike many people in my life who have been irrational, ignorant, judgmental, selfish and self-destructive. I'll take a well-designed product over a human any day until more humans learn to think rationally about themselves and their behavior.

To each his own.