Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you like about the holidays?

Grandpa Greenman

We wrote about what we don't like about the Holidays now lets discuss what we like about the holidays.

I like the lights on everybody house. I drive around on xmas eve and take pictures of them. I also love the Solstice ritual the Pagan community puts on. :wub:

Edited by Darkwind

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• Grandpa Greenman

• ivytheplant

• _Nyx_

And the posts keep comming nonstop!

XD

There was this.. feel I used to get just after thanksgiving... but I think because I was seeing christmas stuff in august... the feeling had not come to me this year.

So I'll just say... I like that I'm going to Mexico for the holidays this year. *cackles*

I like the quite feeling of winter. The snow is beautiful. My second favorite season next to Fall. Can't forget that month off of school too :D .

I celebrate the holidays just fine. Yule, Ostara, Samhain, etc...

I think the commercial capitalist exploitation , in the guise of christian religious holidays like christmas, easter and thanksgiving, are representative of the material identity we have adopted to replace what at one time was a true spirit of the turning of the wheel of the year. It's now become a matter of gluttony and materialism. Gone are the days when one need not have a single present to unwrap, but instead were satisfied with the blessings of loving and healthy family and friends to celebrate the autumn harvest, the winter solstice, Beltane and the summer solstice. Instead our desires to give life to that old cliché' , he who dies with the most toys wins, causes us to see the pending celebrations on our calendar as an excuse to ring up charge cards and fatten the coffers of the USPS and on-line retailers, so as to impart our devotion to the tradition by the amount of goods and services we can impress ourselves and our loved ones with, when the special day finally arrives.

I use to work the shoe department of a large retailer. It was amazing to me how people in that particular department would clamor for just one more gift. One more object to wrap and snug under the tree. Whether it fit or not! One woman , I can still recall because it was pathetic, bought a pair of shoes knowing they were a size to small. She reasoned herself into spending this money by saying to her shopping companion that because the shoes were made in such a way they would stretch and eventually fit their recipient. :wacko: And she probably wonders why people call her aunt Susie pigeon toe, to this day!

Suffice to say this same woman returned those ill fitting shoes on black Friday. I guess her aunt didn't feel like walking around in boots one size to small as she hoped they would stretch to fit and thus satisfy her nieces desire to impress her with one more wrapped box on christmas!

In any event, that's my take. And no, I don't celebrate christmas. I give to the ones I love year round. If I see something I know a family member or friend will like, I buy it for them. I either give it to them asap, or if it's on the calendar I wait until their birthday. Which I do celebrate because it is my gift that they were born on that day so as to gift my life for knowing them. That, in my experience, is the spirit in all giving. Love, appreciation, compassion and community.

I'm of course partial to gifts and it is an excuse to eat things I normally don't eat. Also, why is peppermint stick ice cream only available around December? It's inhumane!

And of course, there's...

Snow snow snow snow. Lovely snow! Wonderful snow! Snow sno-o-o-o-o-ow snow sno-o-o-o-o-ow snow. Lovely snow! Lovely snow! Lovely snow! Lovely snow! Lovely snow! Snow snow snow snow!

For me, it's the excuse to get out tons of boxes of decorations and clutter up my house like there is no tomorrow.. :wacko:

When my kids were small, there was always the magic of Santa and reading them The Night Before Christmas and seeing their precious little faces light up on Christmas morning. These days I'm lucky if they'll let me play carols, and their faces don't light up so much as reflect indignation over the pair of socks they so hoped would be something state-of-the-art and very expensive. :P

These days I'm lucky if they'll let me play carols, and their faces don't light up so much as reflect indignation over the pair of socks they so hoped would be something state-of-the-art and very expensive. :P

You could always get them socks with LEDs on them. ThinkGeek.com has a tshirt with a functional sound equalizer on it. That way they get clothes but they think it's cool. The perfect gift! Mwah ha ha ha haaa!

I think that in today's society- tow things are forgotten far more than they should be, those two things being family and faith- the holidays give us a chance to slow down and appreciate both of these things. (plus I like free food and gifts XD).

As a Christian i don't keep holidays like Christmas or Easter as I think most of us know these are not really Christian holy days . The Bible predicts The mother of harlots (catholic Church) or mother of abominations of the earth who lives in the seven hills (rome ) will make the earth s inhabitants drunk with the wine of her fornication . It also says the merchants of the earth will wax rich through the abundance of her delicacies .

The reason its fornication to keep these holy days is they are not from Christ they are borrowed from pagans and other religions that God never had part in . the mother church just christianised pagan holy days and now we have these so called christian festivals . But they are not Christian in reality they are still pagan creations and no man can make them holy includeing a pope . Churches that keep these days are what the bible refers to as whores as they will let any thing into them to increase membership and cash flow . The real christian church would not touch traditions of man and lie and say its from God only whore churches would bring such a abomination on our society .

The real holy days of God all have hidden meanings that are roadmaps to the truth of what God is doing on this planet . These fake days are not really holy days but are very unholy days with no hidden meanings inspiered by God what so ever .

Christians wanting to keep these traditions of man should really read the last few verses of Colosians 2 and beleave what it says . Does it really say ALL ARE TO PARISH WITH THE USEING AFTER THE COMANDMENTS AND DOCTRINES OF MEN ?Don't christians beleave the scriptures . As far as claiming no man should judge them in the keeping of holy days they should remember these days are NOT HOLY . And no man who walked in the pages of the bible could be made to keep such abominations . They kept the real holy days that God inspired and could not be made to keep the winter solistice if death would of been their fate for not keeping it .

you can see the new testament church keeping the real holy days in first corinthians 5 7-8 they are keeping the days of unleaven bread there long after the death and reserection of Christ . seems nobody had taught them to keep easter yet . IShtar a ceromony for the Goddess of sex and fertility .

Modern christians seem to have no idea of what reality is in most cases . They pay no attention to bible verses like col 2 .

Harlot churches fill our Land that have accepted fornication in the Name of Christ .

As a Christian i don't keep holidays like Christmas or Easter as I think most of us know these are not really Christian holy days . The Bible predicts The mother of harlots (catholic Church) or mother of abominations of the earth who lives in the seven hills (rome ) will make the earth s inhabitants drunk with the wine of her fornication . It also says the merchants of the earth will wax rich through the abundance of her delicacies .

The reason its fornication to keep these holy days is they are not from Christ they are borrowed from pagans and other religions that God never had part in . the mother church just christianised pagan holy days and now we have these so called christian festivals . But they are not Christian in reality they are still pagan creations and no man can make them holy includeing a pope . Churches that keep these days are what the bible refers to as whores as they will let any thing into them to increase membership and cash flow . The real christian church would not touch traditions of man and lie and say its from God only whore churches would bring such a abomination on our society .

The real holy days of God all have hidden meanings that are roadmaps to the truth of what God is doing on this planet . These fake days are not really holy days but are very unholy days with no hidden meanings inspiered by God what so ever .

Christians wanting to keep these traditions of man should really read the last few verses of Colosians 2 and beleave what it says . Does it really say ALL ARE TO PARISH WITH THE USEING AFTER THE COMANDMENTS AND DOCTRINES OF MEN ?Don't christians beleave the scriptures . As far as claiming no man should judge them in the keeping of holy days they should remember these days are NOT HOLY . And no man who walked in the pages of the bible could be made to keep such abominations . They kept the real holy days that God inspired and could not be made to keep the winter solistice if death would of been their fate for not keeping it .

you can see the new testament church keeping the real holy days in first corinthians 5 7-8 they are keeping the days of unleaven bread there long after the death and reserection of Christ . seems nobody had taught them to keep easter yet . IShtar a ceromony for the Goddess of sex and fertility .

Modern christians seem to have no idea of what reality is in most cases . They pay no attention to bible verses like col 2 .

Harlot churches fill our Land that have accepted fornication in the Name of Christ .

Ummm, ya. This is isn't what I ask for I ask what do ya'll like about the holidays or even if you don't have holidays it can be a nice time of year. There is a humbug thread that Irish did you can spew your Christian hate on.

My Pagan holidays are sacred to me and I don't appreciate 'em being called “an abominations.”

If ya'll got nothin' nice to say then don't say nothin' at all.

Edited by Darkwind

I like the smell of commerce in the morning.

Edited by Cadetak47

I like the smell of commerce in the morning.

There that is more like it. Happymess and YULE TIDE, ya'll. :P

I like the fact that I have a little more infused JOY during this time of the year and I find it easier to ignore all the idiots and complainers.

I like seeing my nieces and nephews open their presents.

Last year my nephew was so excited he threw-up all over himself.............thats good stuff!!!!

We fondly think of a "Griswald Family Christmas" every year. The snow, huge fresh trees... and of course Eddie. Can't have a christmas without the family. Also, the ramus fizz (nutmeg with) eggs benedict,....turkey at night with american stuffing....mmmm...mmm I'l have a little more of that Clark.

I'd post my holiday pic.. but.. some people might take it to... ofensivly...

I love this time of year. I guess it's the kid in me. No notthe anticipation of presents, just the anticipation. I love making homemade candy & goodies with my family. I love seeing the little ones eyes light up. It is a very magickial time of year for me. :wub:

Yes well... if someone finds the offensive.. oh well some mod will either just link it or ask me to. X)

Ho Ho Ho... and all that jazz. Here's my gift to ya'll.

linked-image

Edited by SilverCougar

Yes the FOOD. Mmm My Moms ham with pineapple and cherries on top. Auntie B's Escallop potato's. Grandmas pies and cookies. I hope when you go to realms of the ancestors you can eat that stuff and not gain a 100 lbs in one sitting.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be ham at the family supper this year. Or if there is ham, there's another main course that has nothing to do with pork.

But hey, I'd settle for a hamburger if it means I don't have to cook like I did at Turkey day.