Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate'

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,110 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 13 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 13 July 2012 - 05:14 AM, said:

Pretty much like my Becky...When they stopped giving sweets.. she lost interest lol
My kids like the toys in the cry room. I'll listen to the babies over the priest any day.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#32    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 13 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

i see this as good. 100 yrs ago, this most likely would have been a lower percentage. I see in the future, the retention rate as growing larger and larger :)

Times change

one generation at a time.

Posted Image

#33    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,663 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostParacelse, on 13 July 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

No it isn't ... my parents punished me extremely severely (three days in a row I had to kneel on gravel with bare knees) to force me to finish my catholic thingy .. I think it was called confirmation, the last dudda to become a good christian and I never did ... always refused, til this day

Wow that IS child abuse. Did you tell them that was child abuse after you became an adult? I wouldn't let them spend time with a kid of mine without supervision.

I can only speak for my family. My Dad never pushed atheism on us.  Mom sent us to Baptist Bible camp, I think she went through a Christian phase. I think it was mostly our friends who push Christianity.  It is like any other peer pressure, you want to fit in.  The Jesus movement was in full swing at the time. Churches were always having a contest to bring  the most people to church. You go to help out your friends.  When I was in college I took a class in world religions and that was the end of Christianity for me. I realized I really didn't believe what Christians believed and I moved on.  If I had know about Paganism at the time I would have went with it, but I got busy and put spirituality on the back burner.   With my own kids my goal was to cult proof them and taught them to think for themselves.  One went on a Christian path and the other married a Native American and went with her path.  As long as they're happy it's all good.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#34    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 13 July 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

Wow that IS child abuse. Did you tell them that was child abuse after you became an adult? I wouldn't let them spend time with a kid of mine without supervision.

I can only speak for my family. My Dad never pushed atheism on us.  Mom sent us to Baptist Bible camp, I think she went through a Christian phase. I think it was mostly our friends who push Christianity.  It is like any other peer pressure, you want to fit in.  The Jesus movement was in full swing at the time. Churches were always having a contest to bring  the most people to church. You go to help out your friends.  When I was in college I took a class in world religions and that was the end of Christianity for me. I realized I really didn't believe what Christians believed and I moved on.  If I had know about Paganism at the time I would have went with it, but I got busy and put spirituality on the back burner.   With my own kids my goal was to cult proof them and taught them to think for themselves.  One went on a Christian path and the other married a Native American and went with her path.  As long as they're happy it's all good.
Congratulations on the way you raised your kids you seemed to have done a bang up job.  I was never able to tell mother she was abusive because she still is and I'm caring for her.  As soon as I was 18 I moved out of the hourse and there was even a time when I wanted to change name in order to avoid all contact with her.  With the death of my siblings, I was forced to come to France and care for her.  Ironic isn't it?

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#35    iluthradanar

iluthradanar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

It just shows people should be allowed to choose when they're old enough to do so. Baptism means nothing to a baby. And some people check out various religions before deciding. I studied a few and decided I wanted nothing to do with fairy tales.

#36    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 13 July 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

My kids like the toys in the cry room. I'll listen to the babies over the priest any day.

LOL @ the cry room.... I remember a catholic church  in County Tyrone ( not that far from me )  they had a cry room..for all the mothers and their babies ...It was up on a balcony..sound proof glass  ...I was just a child at the time, and I asked if I could go sit with the babies.Well, when I say I asked, I actually harped on and on asking lol .......My mother snarled at me saying-" If you don't hush up and be quiet, I'll put you into the brat room out the back, and you wont get back out again.".........I soon piped down...I  believed there was a brat room at the back of the church...  lol :P

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 13 July 2012 - 05:16 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#37    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 6,790 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

View Postiluthradanar, on 13 July 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

It just shows people should be allowed to choose when they're old enough to do so. Baptism means nothing to a baby. And some people check out various religions before deciding. I studied a few and decided I wanted nothing to do with fairy tales.

You know, that's a dang good point.
Biblical baptism involved "those of age" not babies.

#38    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:03 AM

View Postpallidin, on 13 July 2012 - 09:15 PM, said:

You know, that's a dang good point.
Biblical baptism involved "those of age" not babies.
Which was still only seven years old. That age had to do with the average age of death among the youths at the time. If they made it to seven they had a better chance of living to an adult.
However, in the modern day the age should be somewhat in my opinion.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#39    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 14 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

i dont think the site is trusty cuz its ruled by christians and they are talking bout atheist soo...

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#40    Whatsinausername

Whatsinausername

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 183 posts

• My God's not dead he's surely alive.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:36 AM

Doh this is going to be another stupid thread, athiests trolling and antagonizing christians, christians biting back, and so on and so forth...

Despite being a christian, I dont think the article holds much weight, it doesnt make me jump for joy. Its just a survey.

It is important to think for yourself, I believe its a God given gift we were given. I dont believe God wants us to be puppets.

#41    brizink

brizink

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

I was raised Catholic and started conversion to Judaism at 16 and now am part of a conservative Jewish congregation. I think my early exposure to the Catholic faith is what drove me to question it in the first place. It's really the silliest living religion other than Mormonism and Hinduism. My religion is silly in its own rite but humility is a big part of Judaism an so is taking things with a grain of salt. I think what drew me to Judaism is it never seeks to define G-d allowing for a personal idea of who and what G-d is. We only need a need G-d to exist, not to live. Heaven and hell are ideas, states of mind in the life we make. Cheers

#42    brizink

brizink

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

I was raised Catholic and started conversion to Judaism at 16 and now am part of a conservative Jewish congregation. I think my early exposure to the Catholic faith is what drove me to question it in the first place. It's really the silliest living religion other than Mormonism and Hinduism. My religion is silly in its own rite but humility is a big part of Judaism an so is taking things with a grain of salt. I think what drew me to Judaism is it never seeks to define G-d allowing for a personal idea of who and what G-d is. We only need a need G-d to exist, not to live. Heaven and hell are ideas, states of mind in the life we make. Cheers

#43    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

It's a typical desperate Christian propaganda non-story meant to reinforce the false assumption that being an 'atheist' is a form of 'religious grouping' in itself. Thats why it likes to use phrases like 'maintaining their beliefs' when discussing atheists (the entire pool of non religious people) as if they are 'converting' from one belief system to another.

Normally sensible people do a lot of dumb things.

Perhaps we should go easy on these 'converted atheists'? it is a 'first offence' after all! ;)

#44    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

I'm a member of a group that splintered off a group centered around atheist and secular parents where the intent is to help raise atheist or secular children.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's only recently that someone could both be an open atheist and have a community to be in and have help raising your kids. If trends continue, it'll be interesting to see where it might stabilize.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#45    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

View Postmarkdohle, on 12 July 2012 - 11:44 PM, said:

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate' Compared to Religious Groups
Posted Image

http://www.christian...s-groups-78029/

Wed, Jul. 11, 2012 Posted: 01:57 PM EDT

Those who grow up in an atheist household are least likely to maintain their beliefs about religion as adults, according to a study by Georgetown University's Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA).
Only about 30 percent of those who grow up in an atheist household remain atheists as adults. This "retention rate" was the lowest among the 20 separate categories in the study.
There were 1,387 atheists (weighted) in the survey. Four-hundred thirty-two weighted respondents said they were raised atheist. Of those, 131 self-identified as atheist.
"What these findings reflect is that in the U.S. atheists are for the most part 'made' as adults after being raised in another faith. It appears to be much more challenging to raise one's child as an atheist and have them maintain this identity in their life," Dr. Mark Gray wrote at CARA's blog.
Gray also noted that, "of those raised as atheists, 30% are now affiliated with a Protestant denomination, 10% are Catholic, 2% are Jewish, 1% are Mormon, and 1% are Pagan."
Jehovah's Witness, congregationalist and holiness churches had the next lowest retention rates at 37 percent, 37 percent and 32 percent, respectively. Thirty-eight percent of those who grew up with no particular religious faith or belief system remained that way.
Hindus had the highest retention rate at 84 percent, followed by Jews (76 percent), Muslims (76 percent), Greek Orthodox (73 percent), Mormons (70 percent) and Catholics (68 percent).
Baptists had the highest retention rate of the Protestant Christian categories at 60 percent, followed by Lutheran (59 percent) and Pentecostal (50 percent).
The study used the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life's 2008 U.S. Religious Landscape Survey. Gray noted that Pew's original report did not include some of the retention rates. Pew provided CARA with the original data sets for the study.

Copyright © Christianpost.com. All rights reserved.

Kids dont have biased minds because they dont have any issues yet.

They can see through the atheist parents and notice the negative impacts of being one on psychology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users