Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blade Runner tops scientist poll

Starlyte

Eminent world scientists have voted Ridley Scott's Blade Runner the best science fiction film to date.

The 1982 movie, in which retired cop Harrison Ford hunts four renegade human replicants, came top in a poll of 60 scientists by the Guardian newspaper.

Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey came second, with Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back taking third place.

Stephen Minger, a stem cell biologist, said Blade Runner had won because it was "so far ahead of its time".

The film was loosely based on the Philip K Dick short story Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and is set in a dystopian futuristic vision of Los Angeles.

Mr Minger, from King's College, London, said: "Blade Runner is the best movie ever made.

"It was so far ahead of its time and the whole premise of the story - what is it to be human and who are we, where we come from? It's the age-old questions."

Chris Frith of the Institute of Cognitive Neuroscience at University College, London, paid tribute to the film's discussion of how to tell a human from a machine.

'Appealing idea'

The empathy test used by the movie's policemen "is not far away from the sort of thing that cognitive neuroscientists are actually doing today," he said.

Kubrick and author Arthur C Clarke's collaboration, 2001: A Space Odyssey, was rated highly in the poll for special effects which were revolutionary at the time it was filmed in 1968.

Other movies which made it into the scientists' top 10 included Terminator and T2: Judgement Day, The Day the Earth Stood Still and The Matrix.

Seth Shostak, senior astronomer at the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, California, voted for the 1953 classic, War of the Worlds.

He said: "The idea that there could be life that's developed in completely other circumstances in a completely different world which you would never recognise. That's a very appealing idea."

The scientists were also asked by the Guardian to vote for their favourite authors.

Isaac Asimov headed the list for his collection of short stories I, Robot - which was inspiration for the recent Hollywood film starring Will Smith - and his Foundation Trilogy.

Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham was also a favourite, as was Fred Hoyle's The Black Cloud.

Other writers in the top 10 included Arthur C Clarke, Ursula le Guin, Philip K Dick, Ray Bradbury, Frank Herbert and Stanislaw Lem.

ARTICLE LINK

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starlyte

• jpalz

• mr_halo

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i personally think terminator is the best sci fi film ever, but thats my opinion, i never really enjoyed blade runner the film, but i loved the game for the PC....

Blade Runner is my fav movie EVER. And the game was pretty good, actually one of the few games based in movies that don't suck