Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ancient monument in the Sea of Galilee

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16    dharma warrior

dharma warrior

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 229 posts

• "Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

"Close inspection by scuba diving revealed that the structure is made of basalt boulders up to 1 m (3.2 feet) long with no apparent construction pattern," said researchers. "The boulders have natural faces with no signs of cutting or chiselling. Similarly, we did not find any sign of arrangement or walls that delineate this structure."
So, how does this qualify as an ancient monument?
Sounds more like a big pile of rocks.

#17    Logical Thought

Logical Thought

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

View Postmonk 56, on 11 April 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

Hi Logical Thought,

Thank you for bringing this to my notice!

I would say structure was put there by humans, but we need someone here interested in Geology, that can give some idea of the sea level of Galilee through history, also earthquakes that may have buried this structure beneath the sea!

We have many barrows in UK, usaully 4000-2400BC link below:-

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Long_barrow

Understanding in archaeological excavations in England have a theory that "WOOD" has used for the living, and "STONE" was used for the dead in religious symbolism, the structure in the Sea of Galilee is large....with no other information, i would say someone important was buried there!

Will we get to analysis soon?   I doubt it, underwater excavations are very difficult, very like Alexandria, most of the best parts are under the sea, like the Light House!
  Glad you liked the article, based on the "WOOD" and "STONE" theory I would guess you're right about it being someone important, if anyone is buried there at all. If someone or something important isn't buried there, it seems like a lot of trouble to go through for nothing. I hope they excavate it, but you make a good point about underwater excavations being difficult.

#18    Logical Thought

Logical Thought

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

View Postdharma warrior, on 11 April 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

"Close inspection by scuba diving revealed that the structure is made of basalt boulders up to 1 m (3.2 feet) long with no apparent construction pattern," said researchers. "The boulders have natural faces with no signs of cutting or chiselling. Similarly, we did not find any sign of arrangement or walls that delineate this structure."
So, how does this qualify as an ancient monument?
Sounds more like a big pile of rocks.
"They say it is definitely human-made and probably was built on land, only later to be covered by the Sea of Galilee as the water level rose. "The shape and composition of the submerged structure does not resemble any natural feature. We therefore conclude that it is man-made and might be termed a cairn," the researchers write."  
  If it is a cairn, I think that would qualify it as a monument, since a cairn usually marks a burial place or place of significance.  It seems likely to me that a pile of rocks that big would be marker for something relatively important, but no one will know for sure unless they excavate.

#19    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,861 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:13 AM

let's go!

I'll bring the shovels //

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#20    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,287 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:49 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 13 April 2013 - 12:13 AM, said:

let's go!

I'll bring the shovels //

Don't forget the snorkels. And flippers.

This is most certainly a man-made structure. A massive pile of stones a considerable distance from similar source deposits did not get there by Mother Nature's efforts. I saw earlier in the discussion where people were wondering about ships' ballasts, which is an interesting idea but, I fear, not the answer. We would have to imagine every single ship dumping ballast on exactly the same spot, time and time again.

That the Sea of Galilee has fluctuated over time is a known phenomenon. I like the map Spartan posted in Post 5, showing among other things the two Ohalo prehistoric sites. These sites were occupied upwards of 20,000 years ago, during the Ice Age, and roughly contemporary to the cave of Lascaux in France. Water levels would've been lower throughout the Mediterranean world. The Ohalo sites are under water now, but they would've been dry land in ancient times. The same would be true for the massive pile of stones.

Articles describing the find have detailed how underwater archaeologists are the only ones who are going to be able to make sense of it. That is bound to happen sooner or later. If it is a burial cairn, one wonders if anything organic is even left underneath the stones, but it's a really interesting discovery.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#21    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,266 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:28 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 13 April 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

This is most certainly a man-made structure. A massive pile of stones a considerable distance from similar source deposits did not get there by Mother Nature's efforts. I saw earlier in the discussion where people were wondering about ships' ballasts, which is an interesting idea but, I fear, not the answer. We would have to imagine every single ship dumping ballast on exactly the same spot, time and time again.

That the Sea of Galilee has fluctuated over time is a known phenomenon. I like the map Spartan posted in Post 5, showing among other things the two Ohalo prehistoric sites. These sites were occupied upwards of 20,000 years ago, during the Ice Age, and roughly contemporary to the cave of Lascaux in France. Water levels would've been lower throughout the Mediterranean world. The Ohalo sites are under water now, but they would've been dry land in ancient times. The same would be true for the massive pile of stones.

Articles describing the find have detailed how underwater archaeologists are the only ones who are going to be able to make sense of it. That is bound to happen sooner or later. If it is a burial cairn, one wonders if anything organic is even left underneath the stones, but it's a really interesting discovery.

It should also be pointed out that Lake Lisan pretty much covered the entire Jordan Valley from the Sea of Galilee to south of the Dead Sea during this period.

http://earthquakes.o...lake_levels.pdf

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#22    brizink

brizink

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Just from the short article on this main page, They're making it sound like they found a structure that's not actually a structure and it has no form or organization but it's a structure for sure? WTF are they babbling about?

#23    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,861 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

~snip

Posted Image

ready when you are boss

LET"S GO!!

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

#24    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,009 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:18 AM

Could it be a pyramid?  There was the one artifact that was found in isreal, a basket or a item that had pyramid shapes on it,  but darn if I ever find that again.Maybe you would know.

#25    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,287 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 13 April 2013 - 11:06 PM, said:

Posted Image

ready when you are boss

LET"S GO!!

LOL What in the hell is that thing? An alien into S&M?

View Postdocyabut2, on 14 April 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

Could it be a pyramid?  There was the one artifact that was found in isreal, a basket or a item that had pyramid shapes on it,  but darn if I ever find that again.Maybe you would know.

I'm certain it's not a pyramid. Aside from ziggurats from much later periods, this type of architecture was not done in the Levant. People tend to identify way too many things as pyramids. A heap of stones with a roughly conical upper portion is not a pyramid but technically a cairn or, even more accurate, a tumulus.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#26    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,696 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

It is a Pyramid!!!!
As per some UMers who got an affinity for naturally occuring carbonated water with lots and lots of pressure, it would naturally be built by Aliens and of course using carbonated Water!!
And of course, as per some UMers, since it is in Israel, it must have to  be Aliens and Jesus is linked to it.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#27    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 3,009 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Moses was buried on a mountain outside of Israel, The Torah says that no person can know.

Could it be Moses burial place?

#28    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,070 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 14 April 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Moses was buried on a mountain outside of Israel, The Torah says that no person can know.

Maybe they gave him "concrete shoes" and tossed him into the Dead Sea? Hiding the place by dumping tons of rock on his body?

#29    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,266 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 14 April 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Even if it could be shown that Moses was an actual person the area where this structure is located was already under water during his lifetime and had been for thousands of years.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#30    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,861 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:22 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 14 April 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

LOL What in the hell is that thing? An alien into S&M?

~snip.

Sorry Boss, standard issue attire of the excavation team, yours is in the trunk ...
okay boys ...
lets SUIT UP and MOVE out !!!!!!

'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users