Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 7 votes

Show us your EGO!

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

#46    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:56 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 08 January 2013 - 03:30 AM, said:

Quite right.

How is it that you seem so emotionally connected to others?

I'm basing a lot of my assumptions on my understanding of Ego's & my own intuition. One can glean a lot from a name or even an Avatar (as Likely Guy pointed out)  
Your On-line Persona is "Professor" which to me denotes that the real persona behind the Avatar is someone who likes to have his facts strait, and "Buzzkill" which to be honest I ingored, but as a second guess, I'd say denotes that you do take a small degree of personal pleasure from prooving other people wrong..

#47    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,900 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 08 January 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Edit to add. I wonder if the like system has killed off a few members who realised they weren't quite as popular online as their ego thought?

No, I don't think so. Of all the 'thousands of members' in this forum, most were gone before the 'like' button.

Edit: On second read, I see what you're saying. Maybe?

Edited by Likely Guy, 08 January 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#48    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,598 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:17 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 08 January 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

I'm basing a lot of my assumptions on my understanding of Ego's & my own intuition. One can glean a lot from a name or even an Avatar (as Likely Guy pointed out)  
Your On-line Persona is "Professor" which to me denotes that the real persona behind the Avatar is someone who likes to have his facts strait, and "Buzzkill" which to be honest I ingored, but as a second guess, I'd say denotes that you do take a small degree of personal pleasure from prooving other people wrong..

Less and less as i get older to be honest.  I suppose i'll change my name and avatar eventually, but i never much thought about it until now.It was a hangover from the debates that myself and Mattshark had over my first 2-3 years on this forum

But enough about me. As this is another one of your exciting threads i am waiting for the inevitable "big reveal"

#49    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

lol!

View PostProfessor Buzzkill, on 08 January 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

But enough about me. As this is another one of your exciting threads i am waiting for the inevitable "big reveal"
The highlighted portion is a perfect example of controlling that Ego of yours. lol.

As for an inevitable big reveal, I'm kind of hoping that it will happen spontaniously as a result of this thread being here..
If it doesn't happen spontaniously I'll try and force it.. Either way I hope it will be fun for us to have a crack at identifying the Ego in our fellow UMers.. There's all sorts of Ego's here in UM.. Most I find as genuine... Most are really nice people who are here to interact and have fun. Some are funny.. Some I find are very guarded... A few are--------

Edited to add: Why don't you have a go at reading Likely's Dominant Ego?

Edited by Professor T, 08 January 2013 - 04:34 AM.

#50    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,900 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:33 AM

Are we speaking so much about 'ego', or is it 'peer acceptance'? Or is it one in the same?

Edit: We have our online ego, as well as our own offline ego.

Edited by Likely Guy, 08 January 2013 - 04:37 AM.

#51    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,598 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 08 January 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

lol!

The highlighted portion is a perfect example of controlling that Ego of yours. lol.
Haha!

Maybe my ego wants me to talk about it, but in exchange for you listening to it i have to reciprocate?

View PostProfessor T, on 08 January 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

As for an inevitable big reveal, I'm kind of hoping that it will happen spontaniously as a result of this thread being here..
If it doesn't happen spontaniously I'll try and force it.. Either way I hope it will be fun for us to have a crack at identifying the Ego in our fellow UMers.. There's all sorts of Ego's here in UM.. Most I find as genuine... Most are really nice people who are here to interact and have fun. Some are funny.. Some I find are very guarded... A few are--------

Edited to add: Why don't you have a go at reading Likely's Dominant Ego?

My EQ is low (i am guessing based on experiance, as i have never had an EQ test) but i'll give it a go.

View PostLikely Guy, on 08 January 2013 - 04:33 AM, said:

Are we speaking so much about 'ego', or is it 'peer acceptance'? Or is it one in the same?

Edit: We have our online ego, as well as our own offline ego.

Likely guy, your ego hasn't ever been in the way of you being a nice, considerate person (as far as my dealings with your posts are concerned), but as the above post states maybe your ego is trying to fit in? Are you happier to be accepted than to be right? And you obviously have alot of intelligence, whether IQ, EQ or both. Thats as far as i can go. I'll leave Sherlock "T" Holmes to get the rest. All he needs is your Avatar, name and one look at your typing style and he can tell you what you ate for dinner last night.

#52    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,720 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:11 AM

View PostPurifier, on 08 January 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

Oh wow! To me, that shows that I'm probably spending way too much time on here and have no life. Damnit-damnit!

EDIT: Wait, wait! I just looked at Today's Top Posters. I'm nowhere on that list, so I feel better now. Phew! False alarm. Still no life, though.

I didnt know you could look at today's top posters... I know for sure I was on here too much today...

I also just learned the word necroposting.... and .... not trying to get any likes or anything (thanks for the sympathy on the previous page btw :D)

But, I became an Alien Pimppp this morning :D !

Edited by SpiritWriter, 08 January 2013 - 05:28 AM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#53    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 08 January 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

And before you post anything Arbenol68, (currently viewing own profile) lol..

Ego is soooo predictable!

Great of you to notice. Stoked my ego just little more. You're not my stalker are you?

#54    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 08 January 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

Great of you to notice. Stoked my ego just little more. You're not my stalker are you?

Lol, funny.. :lol:
I saw a few names at the bottom of the thread & checked. You were Currently viewing your own Profile after I'd posted the most liked list.. lol, it made perfect sense that anyone reading past that post would check their profiles if their Ego's felt a little challenge was being presented..

Stalker?
Having a stalker must be ego smirking.. ^_^

P.S...
Now that you've posted I can tell you your actually third on the list of most liked..

#55    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 08 January 2013 - 05:35 AM, said:

Lol, funny.. :lol:
I saw a few names at the bottom of the thread & checked. You were Currently viewing your own Profile after I'd posted the most liked list.. lol, it made perfect sense that anyone reading past that post would check their profiles if their Ego's felt a little challenge was being presented..

Stalker?
Having a stalker must be ego smirking.. ^_^

P.S...
Now that you've posted I can tell you your actually third on the list of most liked..

Only third?  I demand a recount.

#56    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,259 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

As always, Professor T, an interesting thread (even if it is a shameless attempt to maintain your dominance in the all-important likes-per-post league table - which I am sure you realize, your ego just invented for you. Meh, we're all vounteer content providers, if you like collecting merit badges, then go for it :) ).

I am of the Jungian persuasion, and ego for Jung is pretty simple: the conscious part of the personality, in whatever shape it happens to be. But whenever somebody draws a diagram of the Jungian psyche, the ego always looks like a very small boat floating on a very big ocean (the unconsciousnesses, personal and collective, that loom so large in Jungian thinking).

So, sarah_444 called it well, by mentioning "strong ego," as opposed to an obnoxious "big ego." The little boat of consciousness, ego, needs to be strong, to avoid being overwhelmed by the immense forces of the unconscious, or swamped by the enormities of the reality we inhabit. And she is also right that reliable strength has a lot to do with balance.

But, the ideal cannot be the enemy of the necessary. I don't know if you've ever looked at real ego disintegration (sometimes called "psychotic break" or "acute schizophrenia"). It's not anywhere you'd want to go. So, yes, the ego will do what works - tricks, defenses, bristly displays... whatever works in the moment, until (if ever) more durable strategies occur.

There is a great acting gem in Star Trek: TNG. where the Captain has had some words with Dr Pulaski, and asks Troi to comment. There's an impossible situation: being asked by your boss to comment on your friend, on a matter where both boss and friend are being twits. Of course, Troi rises to the occasion, and observes that "You both have established personalities." By which she means strong egos, which just at the moment have lapsed into being big egos.

And she's more than diplomatic here, because whether the moment is awkward for her or not, she doesn't want her ship commanded, or her doctoring attended to, by anybody in the grip of psychotic break, or less dramatically, anybody whose ego defenses include running and hiding when reality bites. Better then, to weather the occasional twit storm.

Established personalities... obviously, the phrase has stayed with me all these years.

Posted Image

#57    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

View Posteight bits, on 08 January 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

As always, Professor T, an interesting thread (even if it is a shameless attempt to maintain your dominance in the all-important likes-per-post league table - which I am sure you realize, your ego just invented for you. Meh, we're all vounteer content providers, if you like collecting merit badges, then go for it :) ).

I am of the Jungian persuasion, and ego for Jung is pretty simple: the conscious part of the personality, in whatever shape it happens to be. But whenever somebody draws a diagram of the Jungian psyche, the ego always looks like a very small boat floating on a very big ocean (the unconsciousnesses, personal and collective, that loom so large in Jungian thinking).

So, sarah_444 called it well, by mentioning "strong ego," as opposed to an obnoxious "big ego." The little boat of consciousness, ego, needs to be strong, to avoid being overwhelmed by the immense forces of the unconscious, or swamped by the enormities of the reality we inhabit. And she is also right that reliable strength has a lot to do with balance.

I'm not sure if I'm of the Freud or Jungian school as far as Ego goes.. I kind of see Ego as being very closely related to personality traites or Energy projection.. Ego throws up barriers, it Projects it's self out, it masks or hides the True self.. It's shifty, shady, it doesn't want the true self to know it exists and as such it will repress the true self.. I think.... But once one get's to know and understand Ego one starts to learn how to read it.

Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what Sarah posts tomorrow.. Stong Ego v's Big Ego seems rather apt in many cases, there's so many types, so many variants of Ego.. Will be great to get some examples of ones I've not encountered yet..

View Posteight bits, on 08 January 2013 - 08:11 AM, said:

But, the ideal cannot be the enemy of the necessary. I don't know if you've ever looked at real ego disintegration (sometimes called "psychotic break" or "acute schizophrenia"). It's not anywhere you'd want to go. So, yes, the ego will do what works - tricks, defenses, bristly displays... whatever works in the moment, until (if ever) more durable strategies occur.

Intreeging!
Much of our Ego's imo are on Autopilot.. We have automatic responses to events.. This I think comes down to programming, or the more durable strategies you have alluded to. Ego think's it knows everything and because of that it is in control. When It looses control our perception of reality is destroyed.. I think I've been close to this before.. It's deffinately not a nice thing.

#58    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Show us your Ego? oh dear no clue.

For the likes though, I did notice that more people have a tendency to like short, snarky, cute posts more then anything else.

Avatar and name both have to do with insanity of the exception, contradiction, enigmas and paradoxes.

Basically my whole ego comes down to one statement. I like shiny things. If you can understand that one thing, then you can understand me.

#59    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostJinxdom, on 08 January 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Show us your Ego? oh dear no clue.

For the likes though, I did notice that more people have a tendency to like short, snarky, cute posts more then anything else.

Avatar and name both have to do with insanity of the exception, contradiction, enigmas and paradoxes.

Basically my whole ego comes down to one statement. I like shiny things. If you can understand that one thing, then you can understand me.
Tricky....

Very tricky....

You are very aloof and hard to pin down..
Oh yes, and 7th out of 17 on the most liked scale of posters in this Thread too..

Your Ego is not very dominant, which makes you very easily lead by others.. You can hold and one on one conversation or argument very well, but when it is you v's 2 or more others you crumble.. The crumbling is due to a need to feel backed up by other like minded people..

Am I right?  
(think I've missed something..)

Edited by Professor T, 08 January 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#60    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,465 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

People who predominantly post short, snarky or cute posts usually fall into the same catagory of people that are more interested in provoking responses from the Like Button or promoting false pretenses imo..

Some of these types of response are designed by their Ego to promote the Idea that their responses are autoritive when in reality they are not.. Their inventment in responding to other posts are self serving... Am wondering if many have encountered this kind of response much? And whether ya'll have come to the conclusion that these short self serving posts is BS from BS artists?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users