Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New Insight on Sun's Atmosphere

Waspie_Dwarf

SUNRISE Offers New Insight on Sun's Atmosphere

Three months after the flight of the solar observatory Sunrise – carried aloft by a NASA scientific balloon in early June 2013 -- scientists from the Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research in Germany have presented unique insights into a layer on the sun called the chromosphere. Sunrise provided the highest-resolution images to date in ultraviolet light of this thin corrugated layer, which lies between the sun's visible surface and the sun's outer atmosphere, the corona.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

I hope the purpose of this is to examine just how harmful the sun can be to humans, some people are still not aware of the powers of the sun.

Also will they be looking for changes in the temperature in the chromosphere over the coming years?

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of the high temperature of the corona is that it doesn't represent any danger because although the particles are at a very high temperature the density is near vacuum. The dangers the sun represent come from lower down where there are greater densities.

I hope the purpose of this is to examine just how harmful the sun can be to humans, some people are still not aware of the powers of the sun.

Also will they be looking for changes in the temperature in the chromosphere over the coming years?

The purpose of this is scientific understanding.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding of the high temperature of the corona is that it doesn't represent any danger because although the particles are at a very high temperature the density is near vacuum.

You are correct about the science, although I'm not sure that I fully understand by what you mean by danger in this context. Because the corona is so sparse, whilst the temperature is high the actual amount of heat energy involved is relatively low. An analogy I have used before (because not every one can visualise the difference between heat and temperature) is a candle and a radiator. You would never be able to heat a room with a candle, but stick one hand on the radiati=or and the other in the candle flame and see which hand burns first (don't try this at home folks).

The dangers the sun represent come from lower down where there are greater densities.

Again I'm not 100% sure what you mean by dangers (forgive me if I'm being dense, it is the early hours of the morning and my brain has gone to bed leaving my body in charge). Since the Sun's energy is generated at the core this is where most of the electromagnetic radiation (light, heat,UV, x-rays, etc) will be generated.

Solar flares and coronal mass ejections are generated on the surface of the Sun, below the corona.

Solar flares and mass ejections are mainly what I had in mind; I was deliberately vague because I don't have a complete catalog of threats that come from the sun.

• Like 1

The purpose of this is scientific understanding.

I gathered that, but is it to help mankind in the future or is it strictly private scientific understanding cos we are not big enough to save if there are any dangers to know about?

When I say we, I mean the likes of me and my dog.

I gathered that, but is it to help mankind in the future or is it strictly private scientific understanding cos we are not big enough to save if there are any dangers to know about?

When I say we, I mean the likes of me and my dog.

Anyone that had even the slightest grasp of what science is would not ask such a question. They would know that ALL knowledge is beneficial to mankind.

Anyone that had even the slightest grasp of what science is would not ask such a question. They would know that ALL knowledge is beneficial to mankind.

So the purpose IS to find out if the dangers or possible future dangers, as well as scientific understanding?

I am only asking as to improve the slight grasp of science I do not as yet have, but the more I ask, the better I will get. I could be your right hand woman at this stage Waspie.....one day.

So the purpose IS to find out if the dangers or possible future dangers, as well as scientific understanding?

How can you know HOW knowledge will benefit mankind BEFORE you know what you are going to learn? These are scientists not mind readers or time travellers.

Such knowledge MAY lead to direct benefits to mankind, they may not. What is sure is that ignorance NEVER benefits mankind.