Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cro-Magnon

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,580 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:55 AM

For those who are not fimiliar with Cro-Magnon They are the earliest known relation to the modern man. They date back 35,000 too 50,000 years ago. It is just interesting to understand the Concept that it was these homo species to formulate the modern language. The question is how do you all think the cro-magnon started the spread of a modernized language?

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#2    Qoais

Qoais

Government Agent

• 3,268 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:20 AM

By copying the birds and animals.  Squeeks, groans, grunts, chirps, howls and growls etc.  What I'd like to know, is how the words were developed and the exact meaning of the words.

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Intuitive knowledge is knowledge beyond intellectual reasoning.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."

#3    Enoonmai

Enoonmai

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• There are things known, and things unknown, in between are the doors

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:21 AM

The populace of the Canary Islands contains all the heredity of Cro-Magnon man, for any DNA study you want to subject them to!

Lone Wolf; Test Everything - Believe Nothing

#4    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,649 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:46 AM

This article on reconstruction of Cro-Magnon language might help.

I actually find of interest where it says the Canary Islands (as you said) and an area of Sweden have the Cro-Magnon connections, the Berbers also show an ancient Swedish gene.

http://docs.google.c...fGGspnc3HVATuqg

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#5    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,733 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 11 August 2010 - 07:02 AM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 11 August 2010 - 06:46 AM, said:

This article on reconstruction of Cro-Magnon language might help.

I actually find of interest where it says the Canary Islands (as you said) and an area of Sweden have the Cro-Magnon connections, the Berbers also show an ancient Swedish gene.

http://docs.google.c...fGGspnc3HVATuqg

That was the same link i had got while searching. But the idea of a Living Cro-Magnon Man is too hard to stomach. Cro-Magnon might live thru his genes in the population, not at all as a species separate from the modern homo sapiens.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#6    wiredbadger

wiredbadger

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

i think the best example of any relevant language communication , comes from the remnant hunter / forager tribes in Africa. they used insect like clicking sounds and other nature type sounds to communicate.as for how did it travel and what not. well, you may as well heap that with the phenomenon of humanity as it is. the human species, has a tons of these 'how did they all know/do/get/change' this way type of stuff. in the physiological realm alone we have 5 or 7 cladistics alone that happened all at once. round head, straight fingers, chin ..etc that cant be traced back.
however, one that remains even to this day fascinating is the migration of the layranx. which , i know you are asking specifically about cromagnon. i dont really recognize cromagnon a species. more of a transgression from homo  erectus to us. you have to kind of take that into a consideration, seeing as how homo erectus skeletal remnants still exist in living asian populations. we were taught that culture is one thing that evolved with us, as a strategy . it was interesting to note that it is something that cant be physically traced except for the migration of the layranx. which did so simply for one reason.speech. there is no other real reason the layranx migrated down. this, is a human trait. when i look at all primates. they do not have this trait. it cant be traced past homo habilis. which , ironically they figured substituted physically grooming with vocal bonding. due to the massive groups they speculated homo hablis traversed in. at any rate, the act of communication and speech being the means, appears to be a human trait that extends past  'cromagnon' all the way back at least to homo habilis. this is what i took in anthropology.
still as you wish, i can speculate for you. since, as described the human race felt the need for communication to be so important that through selective breeding and hybridization we physically altered our antomy to better suit that purpose , one would have to also assume that it is instinctual behavior to also 'want to communicate'. in other words it would be pretty much as set in us as it is for say group of wolves to have a hierarchical order. one of those just is things/ i would also assume that to a degree that since around the world i see similar designs and shapes being etched out. that there is also a common yungian thing going on. birds exist everywhere. i imagine that showing a bird in flight with my hands is something of a universal symbol. in fact, it may be that a generic symbol with the recognizable sound  would be how it started. so like um, say a bird type os symbol and the difference between the sound of a crow  or a turkey or a chicken or even a hawk. then it probably just remained as a refined sound among common trading partners.( don't forget that horticulture most likely did exist , which was a form of offering to other tribal groups in exchange for favors. this did happen.) so the main way it traveled, this cromagnon language was most likely through trading and tribal interacting.if you are trying to say formulate how even the rudimentary spread began, i would propose that whoever it was that had controlled fire first would be the start of the greater spread or perhaps the dominant inciter of a vocal territorial language, that would of course spread. which would be either erectus or neandratalensis .simply because this enabled much greater range and therefore a greater physical influence.

Edited by wiredbadger, 11 August 2010 - 02:18 PM.

Guess I am going to have to tell em , i ain't got no cerebellum. Now i have my phd, i am a teenage lobotomy.

#7    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,649 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

View PostThe Spartan, on 11 August 2010 - 07:02 AM, said:

That was the same link i had got while searching. But the idea of a Living Cro-Magnon Man is too hard to stomach. Cro-Magnon might live thru his genes in the population, not at all as a species separate from the modern homo sapiens.
Hard to say, seems there has been so many studies on them yet they still remain unknown in many respects.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#8    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,044 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:25 PM

View PostLucidElement, on 11 August 2010 - 05:55 AM, said:

For those who are not fimiliar with Cro-Magnon They are the earliest known relation to the modern man. They date back 35,000 too 50,000 years ago.
The rest of this post might be relevant, but the above isn't even true.

It is just interesting to understand the Concept that it was these homo species to formulate the modern language. The question is how do you all think the cro-magnon started the spread of a modernized language?
There's no reason to assume that Homo Erectus didn't have language a million years ago.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#9    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,743 posts

• Redbonz Stumpjumper from the swamps of Shamong

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:06 AM

View PostHarte, on 11 August 2010 - 06:25 PM, said:

There's no reason to assume that Homo Erectus didn't have language a million years ago.

Harte

Especially since they had a tool complex and command of fire.

Lapiche

Token Nanticoke
http://woodlandindia...orums/index.php
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

#10    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,596 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:49 AM

For those who are not fimiliar with Cro-Magnon They are the earliest known relation to the modern man. They date back 35,000 too 50,000 years ago.

The Cro-Magnon (pronounced /kroʊˈmęɡnən/, French [kʁomaɲɔ̃]) were the first early modern humans (early Homo sapiens sapiens) of the European Upper Paleolithic in Europe. The earliest known remains of Cro-Magnon-like humans are radiometrically dated to 35,000 years before present.

and

Anatomically modern humans evolved in East Africa some 100 000 to 200 000 years ago. An exodus from Africa over the Arabian Peninsula around 60 000 years ago brought modern humans to Eurasia, with one group rapidly settling coastal areas around the Indian Ocean and one group migrating north to steppes of Central Asia.[17] A mitochondrial DNA sequence of two Cro-Magnons from the Paglicci Cave, Italy, dated to 23 000 and 24 000 years old (Paglicci 52 and 12), identified the mtDNA as Haplogroup N, typical of the latter group.[18] The inland group is the founder of North and East Asians (the "Mongol" people), Caucasoids and large sections of the Middle East and North African population. Migration from the Black Sea area into Europe started some 45 000 years ago, probably along the Danubian corridor. By 20 000 years ago, the whole of Europe was settled.

FYI, mtDNA Haplogroup N is a current haplogroup for modern human beings TODAY. In other words, they're not just "related", THEY ARE US.

Cro-Magnon

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#11    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,347 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:51 AM

Harte

Given the advantages in coordinating action that speech confers, I suspect any hominids with speech would quickly 'select out' their slightly less evolved neighbors. Once speech happened, it probably became universal very rapidly.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock, 12 August 2010 - 01:53 AM.

#12    Harte

Harte

• 9,044 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 12 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

Of course.

That is, unless a person from Porlock happened by, disturbing their thought processes.

Place was probably called "Porock way back then.

Source

Harte

Edited by Harte, 12 August 2010 - 01:57 AM.

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson

#13    LucidElement

LucidElement

Mystic Divinity

• 3,580 posts

• Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge -Albert Einstein

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

Harte. It says in the book that the cro-magnon established how to use their voice box 35 to 40,000 years ago. Of corse there was some sort of language millions of years ago, but the voice box came to play 35-40k years ago.

"The Truth Is Out There, Its Up To Us To Find The Answers."

"Imagination Is More Important Than Knowledge." - Einstein

#14    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 08:24 AM

I think it would be clearer to define clearly, what it is we are talking about here. Are you talking about just any form of communication or the ability of communicating complex ideas to one another?

One being "oh crap Big Cat!! RUN!!!" as opposed to the "I have invented this really handy and pointy stick, which is really good for fishing and killing small animals for food. Allow me to show you how to fabricate and use it." OK I exaggerate, but you get the idea.

Homo Erectus was certainly capable of the latter, according to Richard Leakey, he was apparently also capable of articulate speech / language, both brain-size and the presence of the Broca's area support this theory (source : Richard Leakey - 1992 -Origins Reconsidered).

Given that, excavations dating from approximately 790,000 years ago in Israel suggest that Homo Erectus not only controlled fire but could light fires (source), one can surmise that articulate speech / language must have developed in parallel. So articulate speech / language could be a lot older than generally thought.
What it comes down to is this, if Homo Erectus had rudimentary articulate speech / language skills, we can assume that the later Cro Magnon had as well.

This said, it's just a theory and nothing else. Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong. And LucidElement, what book is it you are talking about? SO I know what you are referring to. Thanks.

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#15    Harte

Harte

• 9,044 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

View PostLucidElement, on 12 August 2010 - 06:14 AM, said:

Harte. It says in the book that the cro-magnon established how to use their voice box 35 to 40,000 years ago. Of corse there was some sort of language millions of years ago, but the voice box came to play 35-40k years ago.
Must be an old book.

Harte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users