Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Exorcists 40yr old secret

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostMysticStrummer, on 21 October 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

I enjoyed Exorcist 3 with George C Scott, though from what I read the big exorcism scene at the end was added at the request of the studio. I've never seen anything on what the original ending was but the exorcism certainly wasn't as tense as the original's.
I just watched it this week. Cool story .It's based on William Peter Blattys book,LEGION .
I'm sure the book has the original ending .

Miss me?

#17    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

View Postthewild, on 21 October 2012 - 03:32 AM, said:

I never saw the face in the kitchen shadow until my husband pointed it out to me. Scary!!

Yeah I think it was added to the later versions, as with a couple of other jump out faces, many thought there were too many cheap scares on the later version, I much prefer the unmeddled classic film!

The infamous spiderwalk scene was shot back in the 70's but Friedkin thought it was a bit tacky and you could see the wires. It was digitally edited and put in the modern releases, the author insisted the film was more true to the novel with it in but I think it has a bad interaction with the scenes around it personally. There are also more extended dialogues between characters, so I like that aspect of the later one.

I can't stand any of the following films! I do like the nursing home scene in one of them though. Isn't number 3 about the astronaut that Regan told 'You're gonna die up there' to?

Edited by DancingCorpse, 21 October 2012 - 11:01 PM.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#18    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:19 PM

View PostDancingCorpse, on 21 October 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

Yeah I think it was added to the later versions, as with a couple of other jump out faces, many thought there were too many cheap scares on the later version, I much prefer the unmeddled classic film!

The infamous spiderwalk scene was shot back in the 70's but Friedkin thought it was a bit tacky and you could see the wires. It was digitally edited and put in the modern releases, the author insisted the film was more true to the novel with it in but I think it has a bad interaction with the scenes around it personally. There are also more extended dialogues between characters, so I like that aspect of the later one.

I can't stand any of the following films! I do like the nursing home scene in one of them though. Isn't number 3 about the astronaut that Regan told 'You're gonna die up there' to?

View PostDancingCorpse, on 21 October 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

Three is about the cop and the priest ,from the first one.
And the spider walk was the scariest part of the book really .That's why I did.t get ite omission

Miss me?

#19    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,114 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

Stage actors and actresses are a superstitious bunch, so it wouldn't surprise me that silver screen/"big screen" actors/actresses would be as well and believe a curse to be on the set of the film.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#20    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

Speaking on William Peter Blatty, his best book ever is The Ninth Configuration. The movie is quite decent but the book is awesome.

IMO, blew The Exorcist and Legion outta the water. But that is for another topic altogether.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#21    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,606 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

Ah Ambush Bug reminded me that TNC is about the jolly old asronaut (at some point anyway I think). Yeah the spiderwalk in the novel creeped me out, I much preferred it to the film's depiction, I like more the second version they filmed of Regan chasing Sharon around, flicking her tongue out like a complete nutter! It also lets us see that the demon could move at will if it chose, regardless of being restrained... :cry:

Edited by DancingCorpse, 21 October 2012 - 11:59 PM.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#22    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:47 AM

View PostDancingCorpse, on 21 October 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

Ah Ambush Bug reminded me that TNC is about the jolly old asronaut (at some point anyway I think). Yeah the spiderwalk in the novel creeped me out, I much preferred it to the film's depiction, I like more the second version they filmed of Regan chasing Sharon around, flicking her tongue out like a complete nutter! It also lets us see that the demon could move at will if it chose, regardless of being restrained... :cry:

Thanks! Yeah
Spoiler

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#23    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 21 October 2012 - 11:20 PM, said:

Speaking on William Peter Blatty, his best book ever is The Ninth Configuration. The movie is quite decent but the book is awesome.

IMO, blew The Exorcist and Legion outta the water. But that is for another topic altogether.
One of my all time favorite movies . I first saw it when it was called Twinkle Twinkle Killer Kane . Brilliant .

Miss me?

#24    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 22 October 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

One of my all time favorite movies . I first saw it when it was called Twinkle Twinkle Killer Kane . Brilliant .

I love this story but the book is even better Simbi. I believe it is out of print but my local library had a copy available which might be just as fruitful for yourself or a second-hand bookstore. Well worth finding a copy and the ending is quite moving too.

#25    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,606 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

It's a shame that Linda never had another notable role, I suppose there is a kind of double edged sword, on one hand you have the phenomenal success which The Exorcist brought her but on the other, you are forever typecast at a young age and nothing else you do will ever be taken seriously unless you really push at the right roles. I think she is a remarkable actress on her two performances in TE and Born Innocent.

#26    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:59 PM

Linda  did make a funny spoof of the movie ..I think it was called - Reprocessed

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#27    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,606 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Yes I remember that, I saw it when I was young and had never heard of The Exorcist, so then I watched it at 12 years old thinking it would be a good comedy barrel of laughs... how stupendously wrong I was :D

#28    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

View PostDancingCorpse, on 23 October 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

Yes I remember that, I saw it when I was young and had never heard of The Exorcist, so then I watched it at 12 years old thinking it would be a good comedy barrel of laughs... how stupendously wrong I was :D

I liked it  in parts ..

I saw her in a few other things too  .. One of which was Supernatural  She plays a cop who arrests Sam and Dean.. .. Dean makes a funny remark  about  pea soup

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 23 October 2012 - 11:58 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#29    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 23 October 2012 - 11:57 PM, said:

I liked it  in parts ..

I saw her in a few other things too  .. One of which was Supernatural  She plays a cop who arrests Sam and Dean.. .. Dean makes a funny remark  about  pea soup
She did a made for tv movie with Martin Sheen .I believe he kidnaps her,and she falls in love with him . Rumor was,they actually had an affair during filming .

Miss me?

#30    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Interestng ....

https://www.youtube....h?v=8iYA9JdO_q0

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 25 October 2012 - 01:44 PM.

Miss me?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users