Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 7 votes

Are Ghosts Mentally Ill?

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#91    Ligia Cabus

Ligia Cabus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

• "Hell, ain't a bad place to be." AC/DC

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

RELATED - Brazilian Mediums

Brazilian Mediums Shed Light on Brain Activity During a Trance State
OUTCOME MAGAZINE/MGLOBE - 17/12/2012
http://www.omglobe.c...a-trance-state/

'Channeling Spirits' Shuts Down Parts Of Brain
When spirits speak through the writing hands of Brazilian mediums,
there is a drop in activity in parts of the brain involved in language and purposeful activity.
DISCOVERY, 16/11/2012
http://news.discover...ums-121116.html

#92    Ligia Cabus

Ligia Cabus

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

• "Hell, ain't a bad place to be." AC/DC

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

BOOKS

The Messengers
Chico Xavier/Andre Luiz
IN AMAZON
http://www.amazon.co...z/dp/096499075X

BEST PRICE USED BOOKS
http://www.amazon.co...eMessengers.htm

********************************************************************************************************************************

SOME BOOKS OF Chico Xavier IN ENGLISH
IN http://www.spirites....emid=68&lang=en

********************************************************************************************************************************

NOSSO LAR (Chico Xavier/Andre Luiz)
IN ENGLISH *PDF  (FREE)
THE ASTRAL CITY
http://www.geae.inf..../AstralCity.PDF

Edited by Ligia Cabus, 18 November 2012 - 12:22 AM.

#93    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

View PostLigia Cabus, on 17 November 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

Schizophrenia is a mental illness and ... yes, can induce the patient to kill. E. .. sadness, for example, was defined by Sto. Augustine, for example, as a disease of the soul. If you can not define "Alma," Spirit, then you can not dismiss the idea of ​​guilt, regret, sorrow like a kind of disease. About OCD: You have? No, I hope. I have and i can say to you, depending on the manifestation, self-mutilation, for example, a person can, yes - to commit suicide in reason of OCD.

And, for the spirit theory, ghosts and hauntings type obsessors, spirits are sick, mentally disturbed. And - being the Spirit, in essence, Mind, then it is a being disturbed.

You might want to look at the statistics I have already posted.

I do have OCD and yes, I used to self mutilate.

As stated before (more than once) the topic is moot unless a person believes that the mind stays with the body when a person dies.

Also, one would have to believe that there is an afterlife.

Check out the multi quote function too, BTW.

#94    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

whats that theory for a holographic universe where we are meant to all be on the face of a blackhole or something? if we are already in the black hole and arnt actually alive could ghosts be old data that has been overwritten by new infomation

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#95    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostLigia Cabus, on 17 November 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

.. sadness, for example, was defined by Sto. Augustine, for example, as a disease of the soul.
specifically st augustine said
"Art Thou not mighty, God Almighty, so as to heal all the diseases of my soul..."
this is merely poetic license, first of all
secondly, what are the credentials of st augustine in the field of anything at all to do with this topic that we should take his poetic expression as a factual thing?

#96    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostJGirl, on 21 November 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

specifically st augustine said
"Art Thou not mighty, God Almighty, so as to heal all the diseases of my soul..."
this is merely poetic license, first of all
secondly, what are the credentials of st augustine in the field of anything at all to do with this topic that we should take his poetic expression as a factual thing?
saddness of the soul wouldnt be a disease as st augustine believes that the world is in a fallen state and should be mourned at. st augustine is a big character in christianity, prodestants think of him as one of the first reformers of the church.

Edited by Armchair Educated, 21 November 2012 - 10:01 PM.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#97    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 21 November 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

saddness of the soul wouldnt be a disease as st augustine believes that the world is in a fallen state and should be mourned at. st augustine is a big character in christianity, prodestants think of him as one of the first reformers of the church.
but i'm asking what his credentials are that we should consider his statement a medical/spiritual/scientific fact?
it is being suggested by the poster i quoted that because st augustine referenced it that way that it should be considered as true. i don't agree with that.
mental illness is a physical disorder. i don't argue whether spirits exist, or whether they haunt, or whether they are stuck, or whether they feel confused.
i argue that they cannot possibly have mental illness regardless of any of the other things.
let's say they are haunting a house - maybe they even have issues about it and that's why they are there.
this is not mental illness. coldethyl and i have been trying to make this point from the beginning.

#98    SSilhouette

SSilhouette

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Who cares what this or that person thinks?  Regard the facts on their own merits.  Thousands of people see ghosts and most of those sightings indicate some sort of obsessive fixation or deep sadness/anger/ etc. the ghost seems to suffer from.

As stated before (more than once) the topic is moot unless a person believes that the mind stays with the body when a person dies.

Also, one would have to believe that there is an afterlife.

coldethyl, people who believe the thousands of accounts of ghost sightings actually believe the spirit is separate from the body.  More people than not accept that there is an afterlife.  So if you don't accept that or believe it, you are in the minority.

#99    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

View PostSSilhouette, on 22 November 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

Who cares what this or that person thinks?  Regard the facts on their own merits.  Thousands of people see ghosts and most of those sightings indicate some sort of obsessive fixation or deep sadness/anger/ etc. the ghost seems to suffer from.

coldethyl, people who believe the thousands of accounts of ghost sightings actually believe the spirit is separate from the body.  More people than not accept that there is an afterlife.  So if you don't accept that or believe it, you are in the minority.

you seem to care when it suits your argument
i was responding to someone else in any case.

#100    SSilhouette

SSilhouette

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Well what I meant was we don't need someone else's stamp of approval.  I have a pet peeve when people look to others for interpretation of what their five senses are telling them, playing the silverback game.  I like to imagine we all have an equal share in interpreting reality right in front of our eyes and don't need someone with status to verify that our experiences are real.

#101    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

View PostSSilhouette, on 22 November 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Well what I meant was we don't need someone else's stamp of approval.  I have a pet peeve when people look to others for interpretation of what their five senses are telling them, playing the silverback game.  I like to imagine we all have an equal share in interpreting reality right in front of our eyes and don't need someone with status to verify that our experiences are real.
quite right. we do not need verification from another person to validate how we interpret something. but interpretation is not fact. it is interpretation, and it's important to clarify that
you seem to think i want to yank your chain  here and that is just not true. i am trying to get you to understand that your argument is not sound.
let's say we all accept that there are spirits who stay behind. let's say we all accept that they have a specific reason for doing so. let's say that they need an intervention to go to the other side.
all these things you claim in your original post. that's fine and i have no objection to those things.
where it goes south is when you insist that this is due to some sort of mental illness, and then try to justify that by saying that of the thousands of sightings and experiences people have with these spirits most of them are because the spirit is suffering from some affliction of the mind.
i have looked into this since you last posted, and i've learned that the only places you really see that sort of stuff is on those ghost tv shows and similar type internet forums. however, i ran into a lot of sites that talk about helping people cross over and the reasons they state that the spirit is unable are many and varied, but NOT ONE mentions anything to do with mental illness or depression or any other mortal physical ailment.
as far as i can see you are rigid and do not want your opinion challenged. so be it. talk to yourself

Edited by JGirl, 22 November 2012 - 05:38 PM.

#102    SSilhouette

SSilhouette

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:58 AM

Or you could be projecting...

but interpretation is not fact. it is interpretation, and it's important to clarify that

When several people get together in a court of law, for example, and declare they all saw "x" in precise corroborated detail, the law accepts that as proof, as fact.  I think you are insisting we doubt our five senses in favor of being told that we are merely "interpreting" them.  If a car crashes into your living room, it's not an interpretation to tell people so.  If a dinner plate hovers over your head without someone holding it and then smashes on top of it, your resulting concussion isn't an intpretation.  If you are violently shoved down a flight of stairs when you are alone, your bruises aren't an interpretation.

Edited by SSilhouette, 23 November 2012 - 01:59 AM.

#103    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,933 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:07 AM

View PostSSilhouette, on 23 November 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

Or you could be projecting...

When several people get together in a court of law, for example, and declare they all saw "x" in precise corroborated detail, the law accepts that as proof, as fact.  I think you are insisting we doubt our five senses in favor of being told that we are merely "interpreting" them.  If a car crashes into your living room, it's not an interpretation to tell people so.  If a dinner plate hovers over your head without someone holding it and then smashes on top of it, your resulting concussion isn't an intpretation.  If you are violently shoved down a flight of stairs when you are alone, your bruises aren't an interpretation.
no the law does not see this as proof.
have you been a juror? actually i have  and this is not the case at all.
when those people give their eyewitness testimony it is heard as evidence (not proof) and is weighed with the other evidence in the trial by the jury.
none of the things you mention in your post have to do with interpretation.
what you are talking about in this thread is.
i will no longer waste my time with it.

#104    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostSSilhouette, on 22 November 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

That is my point exactly.  If the spirit is separate from the body, mental illness would not travel into the afterlife, just as cancer would not.  Do you see where I'm coming from?

#105    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,717 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

Would it be wrong of me to say that...ghosts aren't mentally ill, but the people who see them are? lol

I kid, I kid.  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users