Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Atheist tactics in Calif

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
94 replies to this topic

#16    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,673 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

View Postranrod, on 18 November 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

I actually agree that some Halloween decorations are going over-the-top.  When I was little were evil pumpkins, witches, frankenstein, ghosts, etc, but there no depictions of decapitations, torture, dismemberment, humans skinned alive, etc.  I think that kind of stuff has to stop.

No! Those are the best decorations to have at Halloween!

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#17    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,234 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 18 November 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

I think the best solution to this is saying "yes you can have your nativity scene, however we will be getting in historians and other experts to ensure scientific and historical accuracy" and not allowing the display until it's representative of the closest historical approximation to what the scene would have been in the Dung Ages.
So theres no play this year then?

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#18    _Only

_Only

• 6,593 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

View Postvoidla, on 18 November 2012 - 07:48 PM, said:

Because it isn't a Christmas scene they want. It's a nativity scene they want.

Christmas is decoration of trees, lights, and gifts. If a religious person wants their holy figures on display, do it in your own home.

Christmas is the celebration of the birth of Christ.

So..

Yeah.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#19    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,234 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 18 November 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

No! Those are the best decorations to have at Halloween!
All that is an American invention, none of that happens in Samhain.

Like the All Saints day, it comes from the Celts where they celebrated their dead and ancestry.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#20    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,673 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 18 November 2012 - 09:19 PM, said:

All that is an American invention, none of that happens in Samhain.

Like the All Saints day, it comes from the Celts where they celebrated their dead and ancestry.

I know where Halloween comes from, and I don't care. I just want zombies, rotten corpses and body parts to litter the streets one day of the year.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#21    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,234 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

my husband and I celebrate Yule from the 1st of December to the 1st of January.....nothing to do with the birth of the alledged Jesus.

#22    _Only

_Only

• 6,593 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 18 November 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

The Christmas was put on the 25 of Dec, because there was a Pagan holiday already being celebrated, not because Christ was born on that day.

That Pagan holiday wasn't Christmas, though.

#23    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,234 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 18 November 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

I know where Halloween comes from, and I don't care. I just want zombies, rotten corpses and body parts to litter the streets one day of the year.
PMSL

#24    _Only

_Only

• 6,593 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 18 November 2012 - 09:21 PM, said:

my husband and I celebrate Yule from the 1st of December to the 1st of January.....nothing to do with the birth of the alledged Jesus.

That's cool, but that's not Christmas.

#25    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,234 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

View Post_Only, on 18 November 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

OK, well lets embrace other cultures and I say we have a time in September where we all abstain from alcohol and pork in the day and binge on it at night, see how that goes down, very nice I would say

View Post_Only, on 18 November 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

That's cool, but that's not Christmas.
We know, its Yule.

#26    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

View Post_Only, on 18 November 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

Funny story: "The date of December 25th comes from Rome and was a celebration of the Italic god, Saturn, and the rebirth of the sun god. This was done long before the birth of Jesus. It was noted by the pre-Christian Romans and other pagans, that daylight began to increase after December 22nd, when they assumed that the sun god died. These ancients believed that the sun god rose from the dead three days later as the new-born and venerable sun." http://www.lasttrump...cts/tract3.html

Posted Image

#27    ranrod

ranrod

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 18 November 2012 - 09:13 PM, said:

The problem seems to be, from that article, that Atheists bought space as well and so this year, rather than have both, the city has decided to have none. The churches are the ones that are all butt hurt here, not the Atheists. If the city is going to allow any religious display, then they have to allow ALL religious displays, otherwise they are endorsing one over another, which the constitution prohibits. And of course faux news tries to make it the atheist's fault for freely expressing their beliefs as well.
The article talks about other religions having a booth as well (the Jewish one).  Others could have a booth as well if they cared, but I don't think they do.  Ironically (I think), atheists care.

#28    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,673 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

View Postranrod, on 18 November 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

The article talks about other religions having a booth as well (the Jewish one).  Others could have a booth as well if they cared, but I don't think they do.  Ironically (I think), atheists care.

I don't care. I don't celebrate Christmas, but I understand the atheists position. They put up a Christmas display, so the atheists put up a flying spaghetti monster display. It's just as real as their god and is allowed by law, so who cares? It's just the church being butt hurt that they're getting made fun of in a public display. It's about time atheists get their voice heard, too.

#29    _Only

_Only

• 6,593 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

View PostTaylor Reints, on 18 November 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Funny story: "The date of December 25th comes from Rome and was a celebration of the Italic god, Saturn, and the rebirth of the sun god. This was done long before the birth of Jesus. It was noted by the pre-Christian Romans and other pagans, that daylight began to increase after December 22nd, when they assumed that the sun god died. These ancients believed that the sun god rose from the dead three days later as the new-born and venerable sun." http://www.lasttrump...cts/tract3.html

Yes, Christians stole that date and features of stories, as many religions and cultures do between each other. But they stole it to make their own Christian holiday, Christmas, celebrating the birth of their God's son, which is what the church put a display up of. That's all.

This would be considered a sketchy thing to do by any religious group, publicly displaying their holiday to others, but the thing is, Christmas has been molded by J.C. Penny, Disney, and Wells Fargo to become the holiday it is today, accepted by all cultures and creeds. The tricky part is when someone wants to put a display up of what the holiday actually is about, instead of a candy cane holding snowman. I can't help but feel they have the free pass to do so.

Edited by _Only, 18 November 2012 - 09:48 PM.

#30    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

The divisiveness we experience over Christmas is just another way for us to experience duality and separation.

Life is one big long lesson in what it means and how it feels to be separate.  From the moment we are born and separate from our our mothers till the day we die and our deaths become a lesson in separation to the loved ones we leave behind.

Religion, politics, race, culture, language, dialects, gender, sexual orientation, wealth, height and weight, socio-economic status, there are a plethora of things that we experience separation on.  This place we live in now is the place of separation and the other side, the place we call heaven is the place of connectedness and oneness.  We are here simply to learn the lessons that can't be learned in heaven.

Life has to be the way it is in order to imprint on the soul what it means and how it feels to be separate, what time and space look and feel like, and make memories of what it was like to live in a 3 dimensional + 1 time universe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users