Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ancient Tomb Too Deadly to Explore

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,692 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

quote: "After discovering a secret palace hidden in China’s first emperor massive burial complex, Chinese technicians are nervous. Not because Qin Shi Huang’s tomb is the most important archeological discovery since Tutankhamun, but because they believe his burial place is full of deadly traps that will kill any trespassers".

oohh... wheres Indiana Jones when needed?

http://zen-haven.com...dly-to-explore/

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:14 AM

I'd bet that for every one person who is deterred, there are two who would volunteer to be the first to explore it.

Posted Image

#3    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,759 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

Yeah, I did hear about the suspected mass quantities of liquid mercury placed there, more as a tribute,
i think.

Later on in the article though, it does say that "traps" are likely fictitious, but who knows!

#4    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,692 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostOrder66, on 30 December 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

I'd bet that for every one person who is deterred, there are two who would volunteer to be the first to explore it.

maybe...but as much as Im a skeptic...id still like someone else to go before me!!  Just in case! (or does that make me - a non skeptic?)

Edited by seeder, 30 December 2012 - 03:20 AM.

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#5    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,651 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:38 AM

I think Indiana Jones may be a little too old...

Edited by shaddow134, 30 December 2012 - 03:40 AM.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,692 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

View Postshaddow134, on 30 December 2012 - 03:38 AM, said:

I think Indiana Jones may be a little too old...

what about his son then?    :yes:

#7    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 12,585 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:42 AM

I read that they used the mercury to create artificial lakes in a mock-up of the world/the empire he ruled and that it's started to leak into the local ground leading to higher then average mercury levels in the soil.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#8    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 30 December 2012 - 05:57 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 30 December 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

I read that they used the mercury to create artificial lakes in a mock-up of the world/the empire he ruled and that it's started to leak into the local ground leading to higher then average mercury levels in the soil.
I heard that somewhere to not about the mercury leaking into the soil but that he had it made up to represent the empire he ruled

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#9    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,349 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:34 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 30 December 2012 - 05:42 AM, said:

As far as I know this is true. Soil samples have yielded extremely high levels of mercury. One can understand the reticence of Chinese officials to send people into that tomb, not to mention their simple and laudable desire to keep its contents safe and secure.

Still, I have to admit I've always wondered what was in there. I say, go ahead. To that end I am proposing a lottery at UM. The winner (loser?) will be the first one inside the tomb. We'll give him or her galoshes in case wading through mercury rivers becomes necessary (although I admit I'm dubious about the mercury rivers and lakes, but who knows?).

So, who wants to draw the first straw? :devil:

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#10    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,506 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

Posted Image

We pray for one last landing/ On the planet that gave us birth/ Let us rest our eyes on the fleecy skies/ And the cool, green hills of Earth.
Robert A. Heinlein

#11    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

Who needs a lottery? I'd go in a heart beat.  Rofl would be more wary about playing in China then going in to the old tomb.

#12    Doctor manhattan

Doctor manhattan

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

• What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books.
    -sigmund frued

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

"But, at the same time, nobody wants to be the first to get inside because of the mausoleum’s dangerous traps—they’re detailed in the same texts that recount its abundant riches."
it seems pretty obvious to me that if i was to build a tomb and cram if full of my riches, i would also tell everyone that its full of deadly traps so they dont steal my 5hit. its just a myth to keep light fingered people out.

Edited by Doctor manhattan, 30 December 2012 - 08:06 AM.

#13    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,050 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostDoctor manhattan, on 30 December 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

"But, at the same time, nobody wants to be the first to get inside because of the mausoleum’s dangerous traps—they’re detailed in the same texts that recount its abundant riches."
it seems pretty obvious to me that if i was to build a tomb and cram if full of my riches, i would also tell everyone that its full of deadly traps so they dont steal my 5hit. its just a myth to keep light fingered people out.
I do the same thing with the candy bowl on my desk at work. I believe that they'd bend the truth to protect the treasures, but I wouldn't want to risk someone's life to find out, if someone volunteers, go for it.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#14    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

Apparently the Chinese gov are being very cautious about all the gear in there..

there was a tomb they opened up in the late 60's.. show cased everything in it.. but did not really know how to preserve it properly so it basically decayed and fell apart..

they will do parts of it very slowly and make sure they have the right tech to preserve it items.. it will end up costing them billions..

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,692 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

Its going to be very interesting to see what treasures/artifacts are in there...seeing as they compared it to Tutankhamen's tomb.... but only time will tell...

but when the initial investigations revealed the sheer scale of the findings  (see image) such amazing figures and all different, the mind can only wonder what riches/treasures and texts are yet to be excavated

The-Mausoleum-of-Qin-Shi-Huangdi-8.jpg

link for more images and info

http://worldamazingp...-mausoleum.html

Edited by seeder, 30 December 2012 - 10:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users